What's new

Suggest a brush for me

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi guys, I currently have 4 brushes:

Semogue Owners Club
Omega barber pole badger (sorry forgot model)
Omega 10005 boar
Yaqi segrada synthetic

I like each for different characteristic but all seem to have glaring flaws. Can you suggest a brush that combines the best attributes or soft tips, decent backbone, easy splay, and most importantly easy lather release?

Semogue: very soft after broken in, but too much of a lather hog (3 times as much soap needed vs the Yaqi). Also splatters everywhere, not enough backbone.

Omega badger: similar issues as the Semogue, lather hog, not enough back bone.

Yaqi: absolutely excellent lathering, releases easily and consistently, softest tip I've come across and good backbone. But, too springy, hard to splay for face lathering.

Omega boar: prickly even after 5 years of use. Lathers better than the Semogue and not too much of a hog although still far from the synthetic.

I might try the Yaqi silvertip badger.

or a Stirling Finest badger . The only problem with the Stirling is that its density , which is high, causes it not to be as eager to splay, which is why I actually extracted the knot and installed it in a new handle with a higher loft .

Or,any of the knots that are splaying too much for you, you can put O-rings at the base to focus them in a little bit more.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Definitely try a badger. Much higher price point, but totally different than anything you have.

I would recommend a Simpson Tulip 2 in Super for a soft brush with backbone, great handle, and not a lather hog. It's really a fantastic brush.

Sounds like you are a synthetics person. Maybe try another synthetic like the R.R. Big Bruce (26mm) or another 24mm just set a bit higher?

It seems that you are seeking backbone. Go to the BST and snag any Paladin. There are a few listed right now. Or even better, go to Paladin's website, click on the Back Room tab, and then click on Barely Seconds. They have some brushes discounted there. The problem is never in the knot and you won't be able to find whatever they see in the handle that led them to discount it. I've gotten two that way.

What's your budget? There have been wonderful brushes on the BST boards on this and other shaving websites. I would recommend a Paladin, M&F or Brad Sears, Rooney or artisan handle with a Declaration Grooming B5, B6 or B7 knot.

If your budget cannot afford those, then look at one of the artisans Rudy Vey (vendor on this forum), Turn n Shave (Tip Knot), That Darn Rob or Sawdust Creations (Fanchurian knot).

I'll chime in. Simpson's Chubby 2 Best Badger. Spend 149.00 and be done! Lather hog, yes. A cloud agaisnt your face, yes. Does soaps and creams, yes. Soap is cheap, brushes not so much. There is a difference in density and other factors. I have all 3 Chubby 2s. Super, Best and Synthetic. Got rid of the others. These I've kept. I hate to waste money (I've tried 20+ brushes) these 3 I will always have. I don't expect to buy any more and pass down to my kids. YMMV as with everything in this hobby but everyone needs to splurge once on a classic brush. The current Best is is a great value, not a extreme difference to upgrade to the Super.

I'll chime in. Simpson's Chubby 2 Best Badger. Spend 149.00 and be done! Lather hog, yes. A cloud agaisnt your face, yes. Does soaps and creams, yes. Soap is cheap, brushes not so much. There is a difference in density and other factors. I have all 3 Chubby 2s. Super, Best and Synthetic. Got rid of the others. These I've kept. I hate to waste money (I've tried 20+ brushes) these 3 I will always have. I don't expect to buy any more and pass down to my kids. YMMV as with everything in this hobby but everyone needs to splurge once on a classic brush. The current Best is is a great value, not a extreme difference to upgrade to the Super.

Got a Chubby 2 family pic? :turned:

I bought the Yaqi Sagrada yesterday, so interested in this thread. It has become clear to me I have an allergy to boar hair....

Ch-2 is definitely a classic and I will always have one in my den. I personally prefer super, but I had a best that was pretty close.

C5B1D1DC-76DE-4D5F-84FC-E64A4BC9172C.jpeg
Simpson is a good option for badger. Speaking of families—I have the Duke family. Here they are flanked by my Colonel and my Chubby 2 Super.

I am a 2-band badger fan. My favorites with great backbone are Declarations. However, for a value brush the Maseto High Density is great. I've also heard great things about Stirling's 2-band badger brush.

I love my Chubby 2, but one of the requirements is that it not be a lather hog. The Chubby line doesn't really fit that bill.

I love my Chubby 2, but one of the requirements is that it not be a lather hog. The Chubby line doesn't really fit that bill.

Agree that the Chubby 2 is a bit of a lather hog. Duke 2 or 3 are also good options with better flow through.

I am a 2-band badger fan. My favorites with great backbone are Declarations. However, for a value brush the Maseto High Density is great. I've also heard great things about Stirling's 2-band badger brush.

I have no experience with them, but I do hear great things about the Stirling 2-band brushes!

Simpsons Duke 2 in best. It has a hybrid knot good for bowl or face lathering, soft tips with a little scritch, decent backbone with some splay and a medium size.

Top Bottom