What's new

Suggest a brush for me

Simpsons Duke 2 in best. It has a hybrid knot good for bowl or face lathering, soft tips with a little scritch, decent backbone with some splay and a medium size.

I agree. Duke 2 or Duke 3, but I’d say 2 band or Manchurian if he goes for the 3. But the Duke is great for face or bowl.

Semogue 1250 is the Goldilox for me. Some call it a smaller SOC. Mine doesn't hog lather either. It started out very pointy and took 10 lathers to loosen up. Doesn't have super premium soft tips either but is plenty soft for me. After 15 shaves it's really coming along. It's also the fastest loading of all my boars: 3 passes of MWF with a 60 second load! Definitely my favorite boar to date and I've used many of the popular ones. It seems to fit right in the middle-of-the-road compared to everything else I've tried. I snagged mine for $16 shipped from eBay, I don't think I've ever spent this worthy $16 before.

lasta

Blade Biter
Haha yes, looking back I may as well ask what the perfect brush is lol.

The Chubby 2 does get a lot of love here, but then again so did the SOC. But intermittent comments mention both as lather hogs so that's my primary gripe.

I'll check out the Duke 2 and 1250.

Perhaps easier to narrow it down to:

Low spring synthetic, does this exist?
Badger/boar with low loft and low density knot? I'm not sure if hogginess is a result of the hair itself or the density

Can you suggest a brush that combines the best attributes or soft tips, decent backbone, easy splay, and most importantly easy lather release?

I’d recommend this Thater 2-band. It’s my current favorite for all of these reasons.
8C48492D-4C37-45E7-AAA4-65A20A4BE10A.jpeg

I’d also recommend, in this order:
Simpson Chubby 2 Best > Simpson Colonel xl > Yaqi 2-band (big knot Moka handle) or SOC boar.

The Yaqi is fine but definitely has less backbone than the Thater.

Last edited:
Someone who's face got used to soft synthetic tips will not appreciate Simpsons Best or even Super Badger, IMO.

Nothing is softer than well used and broken in boar brush. Cotton soft tips, superior backbone and flow through.

Here's my stable.

proxy.php

My suggestions are Semogue 1250, Yaqi 2-band badger 24mm Fan, and Craving Shaving Duro knot brush.

Semogue 1250 lathers well and has decent backbone. It's less than Omega but I like it.

Yaqi 2-band badger 24mm Fan performs on a top level for me. Releases lather/water really well and gives a good scrub.

Craving Shaving Duro brush looks amazing and performs well. Like a lot of synthetics, it lathers up superbly and this one has extra backbone to it. It's the Artisan's favorite knot and I now know why.

lasta

Blade Biter
Hi,

I couldn't source the Duke, but placed an order instead for the Colonel X2l. Fingers crossed.

Another question if you don't mind. Do low density brushes produce better (denser, smaller bubbles, shinnier) than high density ones?

My target is the usual yogurt consistency, high density and pearl like sheen. I can achieve that with my Omega badger, the omega boar, and best yet with the synthetic. But no matter what soap/water combo I try with the SOC boar, I get merangue/whipped cream and "fluffy" consistency with low density. Is it just the Semogue, or do lower density brushes produce denser lather?

Hi,

I couldn't source the Duke, but placed an order instead for the Colonel X2l. Fingers crossed.

Another question if you don't mind. Do low density brushes produce better (denser, smaller bubbles, shinnier) than high density ones?

My target is the usual yogurt consistency, high density and pearl like sheen. I can achieve that with my Omega badger, the omega boar, and best yet with the synthetic. But no matter what soap/water combo I try with the SOC boar, I get merangue/whipped cream and "fluffy" consistency with low density. Is it just the Semogue, or do lower density brushes produce denser lather?
I was getting the big fluffy lather with all my brushes until I dialed back the water a little. Yes, you read that right - a little less water and my lather is like pudding.

Top Bottom