What's new

Success?

Finally getting there. Today was my third straight razor only shave and I did three passes. I guess I can call it DFS.

I’m still having trouble with whiskers on my chin and not being able to do an XTG on the submandibular triangle.

I’ve decided not to clean up with a DE. This way I can feel my holidays throughout the day, if only for instructional purposes.

Basic takeaway: Go slow, perfection doesn’t come on the first or even second pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the shave. Keep at it and your shaves will get better. Use shallow angles, learn to use the razor in both hands, use a wetter lather than you would use for a DE shave and practice skin stretching.

Congrats on the shave. Keep at it and your shaves will get better. Use shallow angles, learn to use the razor in both hands, use a wetter lather than you would use for a DE shave and practice skin stretching.

I think shallow angles and ambidextrous grips has helped more than everything. Stretching is a definite weakness. I’m re-lathering my chin on every pass. I cannot get to it quick enough.

My alum pass does burn ever so slightly, so maybe I’m still using a wee bit too much pressure.

Great job! The hard part is now officially behind you, and the shaves get better.

I hear you on the chin - it takes so darned long.

Submandibular - good word!

Sounds like success to me!

The easiest stroke for the underside of the jaw for me is bottom of chin to neck and neck to bottom of chin. I’m fortunate to have a pretty flat surface there. I usually don’t go jawline across to jawline it’s just too awkward.

Great job! The hard part is now officially behind you, and the shaves get better.

I hear you on the chin - it takes so darned long.

Submandibular - good word!

That encourages me to give it time.

I wish there were a common word though!

Sounds like success to me!

The easiest stroke for the underside of the jaw for me is bottom of chin to neck and neck to bottom of chin. I’m fortunate to have a pretty flat surface there. I usually don’t go jawline across to jawline it’s just too awkward.

I’m fairly flat there too. Still, I never get BBS there without an XTG, even with a DE.

My WTG is a hybrid. When I get to the jaw, I pull the blade XTG and return to WTG under the jaw.

I think the chin is probably the hardest area for most people due to the coarseness of the hair and the angles of the chin. You are talking about the area just under the chin though, I take it?

I don't find that area particularly hard although I don't go XTG as it's too awkward but I do go ATG so not going XTG doesn't seem like a factor to me.

It's just below the lower lip to the base of the chin that is the most difficult for me. Particularly the lower half of the chin where it juts out and is pointy (in my case). I don't go ATG there so I have to make up for that with XTG and sometimes going WTG several passes, changing angles slightly.

When the skin is tight against the bone, the angles change to acutely, so my best reduction is XTG. When I pull the skin flat from the bottom of the chin, the part in the middle is too fleshly as it's no longer against a bone so you can only get so close without cutting yourself.

Regarding the neck, I don't go E-W, W-E down there but that doesn't seem to be a problem for me.

No matter what I do, including DE, if I try hard enough, I can still feel a little more "roughness" on my lower chin than on the rest of my face.

@seattleshaver. Even with a DE shave, my mandibles and submandibular triangle don’t get BBS unless I shave XTG (horizontally) so to speak. My hair grows from center line to ears there.

What I’m calling XTG, is probably most technically ATG. In any event, neither N-S nor S-N gets it done.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@seattleshaver. Even with a DE shave, my mandibles and submandibular triangle don’t get BBS unless I shave XTG (horizontally) so to speak. My hair grows from center line to ears there.

What I’m calling XTG, is probably most technically ATG. In any event, neither N-S nor S-N gets it done.

I shave across (lengthwise) my jaw line and chin during my second passes. It has just become normal and I don't really give it any thought any more. Second pass is first against the grain then whatever it takes for the odd spots as needed - I suppose the second pass includes mini-passes.

Top Bottom