What's new

Stuffed peppers

strop

Now half as wise
I just got back from the farmer's market with several nice green bell peppers, perfect for stuffing. My mother always stuffed them with a mixture of ground beef, rice, diced papper and tomotoe sauce. More recently my wife and I have just stuffed them with (precooked) spicy italian sausage. No rice, sauce or other additives. What is your favorite recipe?

I have always stuffed them with hamburger, rice, peppers and tomatoe sauce, just like my mother and both grandmothers did. However, mixing in sausage sounds like a great idea.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
My momma and her momma stuffed them the same way.
They also stuffed cabbage the same way.

Gonna have to talk to momma about cooking both!!!!

I to grew up on and still make stuffed peppers with the ground beef, rice, and pepper tomato sauce.
I bet ground breakfast sausage, cheese, and egg stuffed pepper would be a great breakfast!

Make mushroom risotto for dinner one evening and make sure that you have some left over. Fill the peppers with risotto and top with cheese before sliding them in the oven.

My mother would use the same recipe she used for Thanksgiving stuffing. Three parts chuck chopped meat to two parts sweet Italian sausage. Other ingredients are diced parsley, onions, garlic, and mushrooms that then mixed with the meat mixture in a large frying pan to which is added browned pine nuts and white raisins. After the meat is browned the entire mixture is then put into a baking dish and mixed with chicken stock and Italian bread crumbs and then baked. When finished the bell peppers are stuffed with the product.

Because it takes a while to make, I usually double or triple the recipe on Thanksgiving and freeze it for use later.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have always stuffed them with hamburger, rice, peppers and tomatoe sauce, just like my mother and both grandmothers did. However, mixing in sausage sounds like a great idea.

Agreed- a nice little twist.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Jalapeno Poppers. Cut the top off and remove the seeds, stuff with cooked bacon bits and shredded cheese, finish with a sprinkle of Oregano and/or Basil. Also good with Serrano peppers, or Habanero or Ghost if you're brave enough, which I'm not haha.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Another way that's different is to mix up your crab cakes but don't fry them...stuff 'em in the peppers and into the oven.

A little tip; pre-cook your pepper before you add any stuffing. Then you'll have a fully cooked pepper instead of a half cooked one.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Same as Mom's recipe but with corned beef. Personally I like lots of sauce around the peppers that we can add to our plates.

50-50 Spicy Italian & hamburger, maybe some onion & garlic. Cover with cheese and into the Big Green Egg for an hour or so at 300. Stuffed Zucchini is even better.

My wife had a fantastic vegetarian recipe that used black beans as the protein instead of meat. Best stuffed peppers I have ever eaten. Sadly, she lost the recipe.

Mmmmm...whatever the question, sausage is the answer! :) My motto in life...

Been using the same recipe for years. Equal parts ground beef and ground sausage. Onion, celery, S&P, Bell's seasoning, sage, thyme and a little Pepperidge Farm stuffinng mix. Rice, tomato sauce Mixed in and bacon over top. In to the oven for an hour or so. Yummy.

I grew up on green pepper stuffed with rice and ground beef, but my mom also made stuffed pepper "Italian style": stuffed with a bread and cheddar cheese stuffing. Quite plain, too... old bread, a bit of onion, chunks of cheddar cheese, S&P... in tomato sauce with little more than S&P. Not very Italian in my opinion but yummy. I haven't yet (my family hates green peppers) but often thought of upgrading that to red peppper and assorted Italian cheeses. The thought of adding Italian sausage is quite appealing too!

Top Bottom