What's new

Stubble Trouble's Straight Journey

It can take a number of shaves before they are as close with a straight as you currently get with a DE. The bonus part is once you nail down the straight, they are closer than a DE can get.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
For me, it's not about the closeness of the shave as both DEs and straights hot the mark there. It's about how the skin feels after. The straight seems to deliver a "smoother" shave and leaves my face feeling better. Plus, straights are kewl!

It can take a number of shaves before they are as close with a straight as you currently get with a DE. The bonus part is once you nail down the straight, they are closer than a DE can get.

That's going to be a nice reward, but I have to admit this is a lot more about hobby for the time being and the sake of patience! @ RockViper, they're cool for so many reasons!

Shave No: 19

Strop: Star Shaving 3" Black Latigo - 20/50 Pre/Post
Time Since Last Hone: 9 Shaves
Hones: Chosera 1K, 2K, 5K / Suehiro 10, 15, 20 Japanese synthetic stones
Time Since Last Touch Up: 5 Shaves
Touch Up: Chromox 0.5 Micron on Balsa / 15 Laps
Prep: Shower, scrub beard with Cetaphil, rinse, repeat, hydrate well
Brush: Semogue 1250 Boar
Software: Stirling Ozark Mountain
Razor: Redge Sheffield Made - 5/8 - Round Point
Growth (days): 2
Method: Three Passes (plus touch up on neck) - WTG, XTG, WTG (Some ATG)

Results: DFS, some redness from rosacea. No discomfort, slight stubble detected passing ATG with fingers.

Remarks:

The blade felt sufficiently sharp yet again. Guess it'll need some CromOx soon, but so far, all's well. My angle is getting shallower with increasing deliberateness in passes. On a darker note, &*%£ rosacea is back today. Red spots were on my nose, upper cheeks and forehead before the shave, which means the shower (and of course, the shave) was going to help the red spots there and on my lower cheeks bloom. :a30:

Today I did some more of those funky, scales reversed, backward-tang type passes. Yeah! :thumbup1: I'm diggin' the 5/8, and just pulled the trigger on a beaut W&B from a fellow Str8 shaver just up the road. Gonna get it retrofitted with some copper sandwich G10.

Buca, you may call Sheffield blades 'Titanic Steel' but that ship's sailing for me!

My face feels nice, comfortable and smooth and the dots disappeared not too long post-shave, as is so predictably the case with the rosacea....

One last thing, Stirling is a great soap, and it doesn't seem to matter which type you use, once you get it dialled in. I ordered a load of samples! The essential oils / scents differ, but they all lather up the same from what I can tell. Super thirsty, tallowy soap, but right up there in the top tier. Just thought I'd share that!

Questions: None

Work On: Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck), etc.

Shave No: 20

Time Since Last Hone: 10 Shaves
Time Since Last Touch Up: 6 Shaves
Software: MWF
Growth (days): 1

Results: DFS, but even more redness than the last shave.

Remarks:

Rosacea definitely has taken hold, but I do think some of the redness wasn't from that alone. Maybe the blade was starting to dull?

Work On: Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck), etc.

Shave No: 21

Time Since Last Hone: 11 Shaves
Time Since Last Touch Up: 6 Shaves
Software: TOBS Eton College

Results: DFS, and still the red spots, even a bit of irritation.

Remarks:

I think it needed a touch up by that shave.

It's possible the edge is starting to lose something. Not uncommon to get 5-10 shaves on an edge before it needs touching up when first starting out.

Something I'll do to see if I can "bring it back a bit" is I'll give it a good 100-150 laps on just the leather part of the strop before shaving with it next. Doesn't have to be all at once. Since my strop hangs in the bathroom, anytime I am in there or pass by, I stop and give it a good 20-30 laps on the leather. After a day or whatever, it adds up easily to the 100-150 I was hoping to hit. sometimes I'm sure I'll put as many as 200 laps on the edge before the next shave with that method.

Shave No: 22

Time Since Last Hone: 12 Shaves
Time Since Last Touch Up: 0 Shaves
Touch Up: Chromox 0.5 Micron on Balsa / 10 Laps
Brush: Mühle Silver Tip
Software: AOS Lemon
Method: Two Passes (plus touch up on neck) - WTG, XTG

Results: CCS.

Remarks:

Still some residual rosacea and irritation, but the touch up made a big difference. I took it easy with two passes, but the blade felt much sharper than the last few days. My face is starting to heal from this outbreak so hopefully I'll have baseline skin to judge results from soon. Tomorrow I should be picking up my new Wade and Butcher 5/8, so assuming that's shave-ready I'll have another baseline - a freshly honed razor.

Work On: Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck), and recognition of blades that need touch ups / honing.

It's possible the edge is starting to lose something. Not uncommon to get 5-10 shaves on an edge before it needs touching up when first starting out.

Something I'll do to see if I can "bring it back a bit" is I'll give it a good 100-150 laps on just the leather part of the strop before shaving with it next. Doesn't have to be all at once. Since my strop hangs in the bathroom, anytime I am in there or pass by, I stop and give it a good 20-30 laps on the leather. After a day or whatever, it adds up easily to the 100-150 I was hoping to hit. sometimes I'm sure I'll put as many as 200 laps on the edge before the next shave with that method.

I guess you can't really strop too much, so long as the technique's ok?

I guess you can't really strop too much, so long as the technique's ok?

That is the prevailing theory. You can't really over strop, but you can under strop. Since there is only so much abrasion to soft leather vs hard steel, it makes sense that there is a point where the steel will win, and just continue to do so.

Shave No: 23

Time Since Last Hone: 13 Shaves
Time Since Last Touch Up: 1 Shave
Touch Up: Chromox 0.5 Micron on Balsa / 10 Laps
Software: MWF / Proraso Green Superlather
Growth (days): 2
Method: Three Passes (plus touch up on neck) - WTG, XTG, Mod ATG

Results: DFS

Remarks:

Rosacea is back in remission and only a tiny bit of residual redness. Either way, my skin is close enough to normal to better differentiate what's from the razor and whats 'genetic'. Enough of the medical and so on!

Nice, irritation free shave with no weepers, redness or burning. I really wanted to try out my new acquired W&B, but I wanted more to prove that the razor's touch up was the healing factor, and it seems to have been just the thing.

I guess I'll need to touch up the razors at bit more often - no big deal :wink2:. I feel like I've rebounded nicely and learnt another lesson. I also threw a good many more laps than what I stated above on the latigo strop and have recently figured out what 'draw' is, and that this leather has more of it.

I'll be posting some pics of my new W&B 5/8 very soon. My buddy up the road gave me the story on it yesterday; It's a 1889 (best as he can tell) model that was found in fantastic, dry condition on a farm in Indiana. When he first showed it to me it needed new scales, but he's handy with that and retro-fitted it with black G10 with some copper fittings.

Work On: Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck), and recognition of blades that need touch ups / honing.

$W&B02.jpg

Hope to take some better shots later!

Awesome razor! I have my eye out for a W&B similar to that one in my price range.

The seller doesn't particularly like 5/8 razors, but I have a real liking for them so far. I would like to think that the blade in this condition alone was worth the asking price. Custom made scales are icing on the cake, no doubt!

This is my first purchase, if you can believe. My other two were gifted to me by Buca. :thumbup:

The seller doesn't particularly like 5/8 razors, but I have a real liking for them so far. I would like to think that the blade in this condition alone was worth the asking price. Custom made scales are icing on the cake, no doubt!

This is my first purchase, if you can believe. My other two were gifted to me by Buca. :thumbup:

I'd call that one a solid choice to purchase. Congrats on finding that beauty. Not jealous.. nope.. not I... :lol:

Shave No: 24

Time Since Last Hone: 0 Shaves
Hones: Unknown
Time Since Last Touch Up: N/A
Touch Up: N/A
Brush: Mühle Silver Tip
Software: TOBS Eaton College
Razor: Wade & Butcher - 5/8 - Round Point
Method: Three Passes (plus touch up on neck) - WTG, XTG, Mod ATG

Results: DFS, a few red spots on the cheeks and minor burn on the lower neck.

Remarks:

Rosacea is back a bit today and it shows on the cheeks as well, but I can say that some of the irritation is from the razor as well. It didn't have as sharp a feel as the others and I have some slight burn on the neck as well. Different hone for different tastes I suppose.

It got 12 laps on the balsa / CrOx post shave and probably 80 laps on the latigo. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow and see if the touch up got it closer to my own taste. What a beautiful razor and I'm very happy to have it

Top Bottom