What's new

Stubble Trouble's Straight Journey

Shave No: (1.51 hs) (hectoshaves)

Strop: Kanoyama № 3 - 40/60 Pre/Post (Suede/Leather)
Time Since Last Hone: 2 Shaves
Hones: Chosera: 1K, Naniwa 3K, 5K, 10K. Shapton 15K. Suehiro 20K
Prep: Shower, scrub beard with Cetaphil, rinse, repeat, hydrate well
Brush: Semogue 1250
Software: Tabac
Razor: Gold Dollar 66 (Marked '2')
Growth (days): 1
Method: Three Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG

Results: DFS+ / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

Remarks:

Really nice shave. The Suede and Cordovan components seem to further refine this edge, yet alone maintain it. Tomorrow I hope to find the time to dull and hone the other GD. Would have been today, but one of my pups had an allergic reaction to her rabies vaccination and we've made three trips to the vet in total today. It's been a tough day for all of us :sad:

I'll miss my straights next week - It's official; Straight shaves have surpassed DE for me in quality and comfort.

Questions: None

Work On: Honing, Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck).

****e tapatalk. Can't even copy and paste now [emoji35].

Anyway, 1.52 hectoshaves. 3 shaves on the same razor for a 2 pass job this morning. Edge is still great using suede and cordovan. Scuttle to heat up some proraso green with cold water rinses. Very pleasant shave! Happy to report my dog is recovering well from her reaction to the vaccine [emoji3]

Your good brother! And will only get better. Piece of cake! And there may be something local in about a month so the nats are next.

Shave No: 153

Time Since Last Hone: 0 Shaves
Software: Proraso Green Soap
Razor: Gold Dollar 66 (Marked '1')
Growth (days): 2
Method: Five Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG, XTG/ATG, ATG

Results: BBS- / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / One weeper

Remarks:

Hone 3:

Dulled GD № 1 today on the edge of my Chosera 1K and went to work. One suspicious stroke somewhere near the 15K, but it clearly didn't matter a bit. I also noticed what looks like a small blemish on the very edge with my loupes, and I was even more worried about that, but the shave was near perfect. The slight tingle from the AS application was about what I'd expect from such a close shave.

I did somewhere near 40 or 50 super light strokes on the 20K stone to finish up, and it paid dividends on the shave. None of the rinses gave any feedback at all.

I've worn this razor down a bit more than I'd like, but I think most of that was from the first hone. I look forward to fine-tuning the pressure on the honing strokes to only what's needed.

Work On: Honing, Angle, Stropping, Pressure, Proper Handling for other pass directions (especially on the neck).

Shave No: 154

Brush: Omega Pro
Software: da Fat
Method: Two Passes - WTG, XTG

Results: DFS- / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No weepers

Remarks:

I'm eyeing my natural stones and starting to think I may grab the Honzan / Toma to see what kind of finish I can add to the 20K. I figure I'll do dilutions upon dilutions upon dilutions with continued ultra-light touches.

Of course I could do the sensible thing and continue to fine-tune the 20K finish, but what fun is being sensible? :tongue_sm

Last edited:
Shave No: 155

Time Since Last Hone: 1 Shaves
Software: Cade
Growth (days): 2
Method: Four Passes - WTG, XTG,ATG, XTG,ATG, XTG,ATG

Results: DFS- / No irritation / A few scratches / No cuts / No weepers

Remarks:

I found my razor partially closed on the dresser yesterday (which was not done by me) and the blade was digging into the scales. I figured it was probably no big deal... I should have known...

No real baggage, but I have what looks like a few cat scratches on the same areas on both sides of the face above the jaw line (in pass directions) about where the scales made contact.

How many times do I have to tell people not to touch my straights??? One little bump of the edge and I won't know!

Gives me an excuse to hone again :tongue_sm

Shave No: (1.56 hs) (hectoshaves)

Time Since Last Hone: 3 Shaves
Brush: Mühle Silvertip
Method: Three Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG

Results: DFS- / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

Remarks:

No surprises with the razor today! I've decided to dedicate a drawer for drying out straights so that I don't have to worry about it getting bumped, moved, nicked and everything else. I leave my razors open while drying, so the blade is completely exposed...

Trying to get this L'Occitane Cade dialled in. As far as I know, it's the first vegetable based soap I've used. A bit chilly here on the shore today with all the windows open in the house, so the scuttle served me very well.

I've decided I'll go ahead with the shobudani stone and tomo to finish the next hone.

I am having a difficult time getting opportunities to hone with the spring/summer weather. Grass needs cut, gardens need planted and cleaned up from winter, fire wood needs made, and grandchildren need baptised. All of the above have consumed my weekends over the past four or more weekends.

I am having a difficult time getting opportunities to hone with the spring/summer weather. Grass needs cut, gardens need planted and cleaned up from winter, fire wood needs made, and grandchildren need baptised. All of the above have consumed my weekends over the past four or more weekends.

You could say nearly the same for this house (and my honing prowess) as well. We don't have kids or a fireplace, however :001_smile

Shave No: (1.57 hs) (hectoshaves)

Hones: Unknown - Alex Gilmore
Razor: Bartmann 5/8
Method: Four Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG, ATG

Results: DFS+ / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

Remarks:

I visited Alex Gilmore recently, and while I couldn't decide on any stones during this visit (I'll be back), I did buy two nice vintage razors.

The edge was what looked like a hazy finish under the loupe and the shave was super smooth. Of course the edge was keen as could be.

Always great to visit other folks on B&B and Alex was certainly a pleasure to visit! His knowledge is simply amazing and the conversation never lulled a bit.

Shave No: (1.58 hs) (hectoshaves)

Time Since Last Hone: 4 Shaves
Brush: Omega Pro
Software: Tabac
Method: Four Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG, XTG/ATG

Results: DFS- / Minor irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

Remarks:

I tried to touch up the razor on the 20K, but I noticed some kind of particle scratching during a few strokes. I didn't rinse off the stone or the razor before starting and the shave wasn't that comfortable. The AS outright burnt and I can still feel a bit of irritation now.

I'll have to re-hone both of my GDs now.

Shave No: (1.59 hs) (hectoshaves)

Hones: Chosera: 1K, Naniwa 3K, 5K, 10K. Shapton 15K. Suehiro 20K, Shobudani Honzan + Tomo Nagura
Software: Proraso Green
Method: Four Passes - WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG, ATG

Results: DFS- / No irritation / No redness / No cuts / No Weepers

Remarks:

My first JNat finish this evening :thumbup:.

I must have done 150 or more strokes to break down the slurry and the edge took on a hazy finish in all places but the toe, which was shiny in comparison, and I also noticed it wasn't undercutting there for some reason. The shave was super comfortable nonetheless and at least enough of the razor seemed to take off some of the very slight bite I had noticed from just the synthetic hones. That, or the 60-odd polishing strokes on the 20K may have contributed, or both. After having shaved on Alex Gilmore's edge I have a ways to go (or Buca's, or Doc's, Nelson's ,etc) but I'm happy enough with my results! AS was basically silent.

I'll have a run at GD Number 2 (no JNat finish) tomorrow...

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I remember the first time I knocked out a "better than mediocre" JNat edge, which was GREAT for my meager skills. It felt so good that it rekicked my HAD.

Top Bottom