What's new

Struggling w/ DE Blade

Started shaving we a DE blade. Been using the Proraso shave soap with Astra Platinum DE razors.

Sunday I noticed my whole face was really burning after I shaved. I noticed it looked like my face was really dry after the shave.

I changed out blades and shaved tonight with a regular shaving cream. My face is still a little irritated and I defintely didn't get as close as a shave on my neck (which I have struggled with)....

I do have sensitive skin, so I thought switching to a DE blade setup would help. I've thought about switching back to a cartridge razor... Any guidance is appreciated

That sounds like you used too much pressure. The dryness is probably partly from the exfoliation. Try shorter strokes with zero pressure, trying to keep the correct angle. Look in the mirror and slow everything down, these things don't work in any way the same as a cartridge. The handle height is going to be higher and you have to tilt it to follow the shape of your face because there is no pivot. Take a deep breath and try again. Others should be along with links to tutorials, but you could look at youtube videos to at least get an idea of what you are supposed to be doing. Welcome to B&B.

There's a lot going on here. Let's simplify.

- It sounds like you started with a new soap at the same as the new razors. Try switching back to your cream for a bit and use that with your DE razor. Maybe your skin is reacting to the soap. Change one variable at a time to understand the impact of each variable.

- Don't shave with the DE every day. Start every third shave, then progress to half your shaves DE, half cartridge as your skin and skill level adapt. Then go daily only when you can shave comfortably.

- Your blade is probably fine. Technique and experience are more likely to be the problems than blades.

If you have sensitive skin, leaving the shave soap on too long when getting ready, menthol reaction if it's prorazo green along with the other things already mentioned. I changed 1 thing at a time until I found a good rhythm

All great advice above.

I'll just add that Proraso is a product that lathers very quickly IMO, which can be a double-edged (excuse the pun) sword.

On the one hand, the ease with which it lathers is fantastic for newer wet-shavers as it allows the sweet spot to be located more readily.

On the other hand, that fast reaction can fool a novice into believing that they are ready to shave. However, what it gives you right away is not fully formed lather, but a kind of proto-lather that isn't going to be as effective. The sweet spot will only be arrived at once plenty of soap has been combined with plenty of water.

I'd recommend doing a few test lathers to get a feel for what happens with different amounts. Getting this component nailed will allow you to then focus more attention on razor technique.

Proraso green is a great soap and should serve you very well provided you are not allergic to any of it's ingredients. It was my first soap way back in the day and I still use it on occasion, decades after that first shave.

Good luck! :thumbup:

Started shaving we a DE blade. Been using the Proraso shave soap with Astra Platinum DE razors.

Sunday I noticed my whole face was really burning after I shaved. I noticed it looked like my face was really dry after the shave.

I changed out blades and shaved tonight with a regular shaving cream. My face is still a little irritated and I defintely didn't get as close as a shave on my neck (which I have struggled with)....

I do have sensitive skin, so I thought switching to a DE blade setup would help. I've thought about switching back to a cartridge razor... Any guidance is appreciated
I'm also new to DE shaving and have been having irritation issues. For some reason, the Astra SP blades have been causing me more irritation than others. I tried some other blades and they helped reduce my irritation considerably. I'm using other blades to help with my technique until I gain more confidence to try the Astra SP blade again.

It might be worth trying a different blade, but others have provided excellent suggestions, too.

You have already received some great advices above to experiment for a few weeks.
I would just add that don’t toss away your blade after the first shave. Sometimes new blades can feel aggressive, lead to razor burn the first shave because poor technique and very sharp edges. It wears off a little bit second and further shaves. If that helps, check blade corking technique to break in new blade in the future .

P.S: once you found what is the issue get rid of Astra blades anyway or find an alternative as they are produced in russia)

Proraso looks great but it’s not.

DE works … definitely will grant that … but it’s all in the prep and aftercare.

There’s a reason tallow works

But also you don’t want sore neck etc…
Personally can’t say enough good things about Stirling … I use their soap / aftershave as minimum … I don’t get any of that sensitive crap no more … take a leap of faith and don’t waste your time with wistful meandering of former day greats … modern era Better products for us all

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm nearly 79 years old and have shave with a DE razor longer than any other method. That said, I seldom use a DE anymore.

Cartridges work much better for me. Gone are the everyday nicks and weepers. Figure out what works for you though. Every face is different.

I still use a mug and brush like I first learned when I was 15 years old. Works much better than any of the canned foams or the canned gels that don't foam.

Good advice from those that have responded. I really don’t have much to add except keep after it. When I first started using a DE about 15 years ago I had the same issues. Now, I rarely, if ever, get irritation no matter the razor, blade, or soap I use. It just takes time to get your technique down.

Took me at least 6 months when I started to see improvement. Be patient and you’ll get there. Work on getting your lather right and keep the pressure to a minimum. Shaving every couple of days instead of every day will help your skin heal between shaves.

It's already been said several times but bears repeating:

Try using less pressure, even if it results in a less than perfect shave.

My first few shaves with DE left my face feeling like it was on fire and severely dried out. Coming from cartridges I was pressing way too hard.

Use a light touch.

I first used a DE razor about 10 years ago. I only switched to save money. I never, ever, ever, ever had any irritation, cuts, ingrowns, etc, with carts. I got better shaves with a cart too.

After a year of trying different razors, blades, preps, advice...I went back to my Mach 3 and was totally blown away with how awesome and comfortable the shave was. Some things are worth the price. Unfortunately, they're plastic...but almost everything is nowadays. The 30% (way overestimating) of the world that uses DE razors is doing next to nothing in regards to "reducing plastic waste" I don't mean to sound negative...it is what it is :)

Change one variable at a time to understand the impact of each variable.

This is the single best piece of advice.

Personally, if it's your whole face that's being affected, it definitely sounds to me like the Proraso is not compatible with your skin. I had a similar issue with a different soap once, and simply using a different soap made all the difference in the world.

Try different blades, some blades are well regarded but do not work great for everyone, for me the Astra SP is pure garbage, yet ion the same razor with different blades I get great shave. I, for one, cannot use aggressive razor, My skin just get shredded, your post do not indicate what type of razor you are using, sensitive skin would lead me to advise on a mild razor.

crickets GIF

Top Bottom