What's new

Stropping With Loose Scales

Everyone,

I seem to be struggling with a few of my razors that have loose scales, some really loose. Stropping with loose scales is a total pain. I was wondering if you had any tips on how to better handle this.

I have tried "choking up" on the tang some, but that hasn't helped much.

I am wondering if the only way to help is to get a ball peen hammer and try to tighten them up some.

Is it just me, and I will get accustomed, to stropping with loose scales?

Hey Rob,

No you're right, it can be annoying when the scales are 'flopping around' like that. It's pretty easy to tighten them up, actually. If you can get a hold of a ball-peen hammer and preferably an anvil of some sort (EDIT: or the back of a spoon like Doc said), then all you have to do is do a few LIGHT taps on either side of the pivot pin. You'll want to make sure that the pin is squared up with the anvil so you don't accidentally crack the scales….I had a few razors that had floppy scales like that, and I was surprised at how easy it is to tighten them up….give it a try!! :)

My first option would be to try and tighten them myself with a hammer. If that doesn't work I'd use electrical tape to hold the blade and scales together while I stropped.

Sorry for the hassle. I've been there. Good luck.

Most of the nicks in my strop are from fumbling loose scales. Tightening them is easy. Iirc you have a harbor freight nearby? In their "hobby" aisle, near the exact ok moves I think, they have a small watchmakers hammer with several screw on heads, including a steel, round head. Perfect for scales

http://www.harborfreight.com/watchmakers-hammer-with-6-heads-99895.html

So far I have used a claw hamme laid on its side as my "anvil" but I recently received a "bench block" I ordered from amazon--just haven't used it yet

Thanks for posting the question. I have had this problem once in a while. I have tried tapping the pin with a hammer but that did not work because the washer around the pin seems to be above the pin itself. I will look into the special hammer thing.

I have sometimes wrapped toilet paper around the junction between the tang-pivot-scales. It is not a very elegant solution but it works.

Thanks for posting the question. I have had this problem once in a while. I have tried tapping the pin with a hammer but that did not work because the washer around the pin seems to be above the pin itself. I will look into the special hammer thing.

I have sometimes wrapped toilet paper around the junction between the tang-pivot-scales. It is not a very elegant solution but it works.

Pics of the pin would help but I would take a spoon and tap it with the back side of the spoon... DONT smack it just let the spoon bounce on its own weight off the pin... Move the middle of the spoon around the pin edge and it should tighten... Tighten to the point that the razor stands up from the scales on its own

+ 1 to tightening the pins, I have done that before, usually because the blade is too loose. But when stropping, I hold the blade by the shoulder so the scales don't really matter.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. At least I know that i can help the situation, with toilet paper / electrical tape, until I am able to fix the ones I have.

Chaloney, thanks for that link. I will probably go check out harbor freight in the next week or so. It looks like a handy thing to have on hand.

I usually hold almost all the way up to the shoulder, but those darn scales were still messing me up. I didn't want to nick the strop, as I just got a replacement leather from TM, and hence the question. Great feedback everyone!! :thumbup:

I only have one razor that gives me this problem, so I don't have near the experience of many of the people who responded, but on my problem razor I think the root of the problem is an oversize pivot hole in the razor. I can tighten the pivot and that works for a while, but it is depending on friction of a relatively soft scale material that wears or compresses. I have thought about filling the pivot hole with JB Weld and re drilling it. Does anyone do this?

I only have one razor that gives me this problem, so I don't have near the experience of many of the people who responded, but on my problem razor I think the root of the problem is an oversize pivot hole in the razor. I can tighten the pivot and that works for a while, but it is depending on friction of a relatively soft scale material that wears or compresses. I have thought about filling the pivot hole with JB Weld and re drilling it. Does anyone do this?

An easier solution is getting some nylon washers to put between the tang & scales. The nylon will get a good grip on the tang when you tighten the pins. I have done this with success.

I bought the Harbor Freight hammer referenced above and the problem I have is keeping the screw-on head from vibrating loose when I'm tapping on pins. I gave up and now use a 4oz ball peen hammer.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I use a spoon. It is really easy to mess things up with a hammer. You really only want about 2 or 3 oz and sharp raps, rather than "gentle" taps with a bigger hammer. The light but sharp smack will deform the pin head more. The "gentle" but heavier tap will be more likely to compress the pin and possibly cause it to bend. Also there are the scales to worry about. A spoon has a bigger striking surface and you are less likely to miss or to hit the pin but also catch the scale with the edge.

Good idea to tape the scales first, for added protection. Use a large tablespoon. If it seems too light, take a small piece of epoxy putty and knead it into the bowl of the spoon. A few wraps of friction tape on the handle makes it easier to hang on to. It takes quite a few smacks to gitter done. Just smack it a few, test it, smack it a few, test it. If it is really loose and the blade rests on the bottom scale when laying on its side, you can see when you are starting to get there, when the blade starts to center between the scales.

Whatever you use for an anvil, grind a very small divot in it for the lower pin head. About half as deep as the pin head is high. This helps to keep the lower end from flattening. Flip the razor and smack the other side if it takes a lot of whacks.

Don't over-tighten. Just go until it isn't loose any more.

It can be done with a hammer. But I have used hammers and I have used spoons, and personally I think a spoon is easier and gives better results with less chance of catastrophe.

I've used the spoon method and it's my preference for simple tightening over a ball peen hammer. The increase in pressure is more gradual and, as Slash says, harder to mess up the scales if you're not used to doing it.

An easier solution is getting some nylon washers to put between the tang & scales. The nylon will get a good grip on the tang when you tighten the pins. I have done this with success.

I bought the Harbor Freight hammer referenced above and the problem I have is keeping the screw-on head from vibrating loose when I'm tapping on pins. I gave up and now use a 4oz ball peen hammer.

I had the same problem and the longer I had the hammer the worse it got. Then I finally got around to fixing it. Under the round head is a narrow black nut. Slightly loosen the head, the take a narrow pair of pliers and unscrew the nut until it is tight against the inside of the head, tightening it firmly.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will try the spoon tapping. I just wasn't sure if I was just being super sensitive to having loose scales, and that it was somewhat normal.

Glad to hear most, if not all, find it annoying and that you do try to tighten them.

I use a spoon. It is really easy to mess things up with a hammer. You really only want about 2 or 3 oz and sharp raps, rather than "gentle" taps with a bigger hammer. The light but sharp smack will deform the pin head more. The "gentle" but heavier tap will be more likely to compress the pin and possibly cause it to bend. Also there are the scales to worry about. A spoon has a bigger striking surface and you are less likely to miss or to hit the pin but also catch the scale with the edge.

Good idea to tape the scales first, for added protection. Use a large tablespoon. If it seems too light, take a small piece of epoxy putty and knead it into the bowl of the spoon. A few wraps of friction tape on the handle makes it easier to hang on to. It takes quite a few smacks to gitter done. Just smack it a few, test it, smack it a few, test it. If it is really loose and the blade rests on the bottom scale when laying on its side, you can see when you are starting to get there, when the blade starts to center between the scales.

Whatever you use for an anvil, grind a very small divot in it for the lower pin head. About half as deep as the pin head is high. This helps to keep the lower end from flattening. Flip the razor and smack the other side if it takes a lot of whacks.

Don't over-tighten. Just go until it isn't loose any more.

It can be done with a hammer. But I have used hammers and I have used spoons, and personally I think a spoon is easier and gives better results with less chance of catastrophe.

Slash,

Great explanation on how to use the spoon. Thanks for this!!! :thumbup:

Top Bottom