What's new

Strop help

Alright guys, I'm finally taking the plunge into Straights but can't decide on which strop to buy. I've purchased a Dovo Bismark 6/8's and a Filly strop to hone my skills on and should have both within a few days. I'm about to buy a nicer strop to use when I'm ready but can't can't decide between the Ruprazor and Straight Razor Designs. I understand both of these vendors have a great reputation and track record on the B&B. I would greatly appreciate you're comments on you're personal experience with these two strops.

RR Paladin: 3" Horsehide with 2" canvas and 2 D rings

SRP: Black 3" Latigo with the 3" Hard Pressed Wool Felt and handles

Both would be almost the same exact price. Too bad RR doesn't offer a 3" canvas strop to match the leather.

A lot of personal preference involved here and no one (at least not me) can decide those things for you but here are some things to consider:

RupRazor strops are suede-like. SRD are smooth leather. I think most people prefer smooth leather but that may simply be because it is more common. Or maybe it is the other way around. :)

in the past I don't think you could get a three-inch wide strop. European strops were 1.75 to 2.0 inches (probably really measured in cm). US stops were 2.5. (I may not have this completely right.) I found the 3-inch to be a but clumsy to use. Prefer 2-inch. Three-inch strops are more prone to "cupping" -- edge curl up. Some strop makers even provide info with their strops telling you how to correct this. (It didn't help with one strop I had.) One strop maker told me privately that he uses special techniques in his manufacturing process to counter this tendency.

I prefer D-rings to handles. Handles seem to put my wrist at an unnatural angle.

Alright guys, I'm finally taking the plunge into Straights but can't decide on which strop to buy. I've purchased a Dovo Bismark 6/8's and a Filly strop to hone my skills on and should have both within a few days. I'm about to buy a nicer strop to use when I'm ready but can't can't decide between the Ruprazor and Straight Razor Designs. I understand both of these vendors have a great reputation and track record on the B&B. I would greatly appreciate you're comments on you're personal experience with these two strops.

RR Paladin: 3" Horsehide with 2" canvas and 2 D rings

SRP: Black 3" Latigo with the 3" Hard Pressed Wool Felt and handles

Both would be almost the same exact price. Too bad RR doesn't offer a 3" canvas strop to match the leather.

Hold up there cowboy. I wouldn't get in a rush to buy another strop. Try the filly for awhile. Decide if straight shaving is really "it" for you before you drop a bunch of money on a first-class strop. You might find, like me, that straight shaving is incredibly challenging and your lack of skill with the razor may humble you to the point that you may not stick with it. Yeah, you can sell the strop but it'll still be "used" and you'll be out some $$.

Thanks for looking out for my six there Gafer. I plan on using the Filly till I'm comfortable with my skills to move onto the nicer strop. A buddy let me borrow a straight rig for a couple weeks. I was able to get maybe one decent shave out of about 5 attempts which was enough. That one decent shave made me thirsty for my own setup. I am looking forward to the challenge although it may take a while to get a DFS. As it stands I will be using a DE most the time due to the fact I'm at work for 3 days straight sometimes more. I will be leaving the straight blade and strop to enjoy at home. I don't have to be clean shavin' at work like I do at home.

Last edited:
I bought the SRD 3" Red Latigo strop and I would take Gafer's advice. I first bought 2 practice strops from our very own rickboone and then the 3" Latigo and I still nicked the crap out of the SRD strop. I think it was because I was so nervous of nicking it that it happened. I've since gotten better (not perfect though as I found out today) So I would practice with the Filly for a while and wait on your next strop purchase, you never know, you may end up hitting a B/S/T post with a TM 3" Latigo. Those are the Holy Grails of strops so I hear.

P.S. The SRD strop is a great strop by the way.

The filly will work fine for you. I would wait until you haven't nicked the filly anymore for at least 5 shaves straight before even buying a nicer strop. The temptation to use the nice strop would be too great for me, and I would probably end up nicking the crap out of it. I waited a month or so before I got my good strop.

I have the 3" SRD English Bridle strop and I love it. I have not used either of the strops you have listed but I have not heard anything bad about either of them.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You might also think about trying a large paddle type strop. I have a slight preference for a wide hanging strop myself, but I use a paddle with any kind of paste or abrasive, just because I prefer to work with that stuff on a flatter surface. Used paddles come up cheap on ebay now and then.

Legion

Staff member
I just posted this picture somewhere else but it also seems appropriate here.

I am pretty much in the same boat as you, I didn't want to spend a fortune on my first strop... just in case.

Reading that Tony Miller uses pretty much the same leather on his beginners strops as his more expensive ones, I decided to pick one up, figuring that I could always modify it later if I felt the need. As it happens, I kind of felt the need for some sort of handle, so the mods were made.

Obviously they are not as nice as the fittings put on in TM's workshop, but they are functional and, if I don't kill the strop with my ineptitude, I cant really see what more I'd ever need.

Maybe you can give your filly a try and see how it grabs you. If you want fancy fittings later it is not too hard to put them onto the existing leather part, and I'm sure you will do a neater job that me. :tongue_sm

proxy.php

Very nice Legion and thanks for posting the picture. Thanks to everyone for there thoughts and great advice. My problem lies with having the money available. I have sold off some of my prized possessions (cigar humidor for health reasons) and have the money set aside for setup. Again, i have purchased the razor and Filly but have the left over money. I suppose I could hang on to the money till I'm ready but that's out of character for me. I would probably end up buying another brush or something and end up not having the money to spend on a strop when I'm ready for one.... it's complicated really. I am interested in the strops Ambrose is making. Maybe I will shoot him a PM to ask some questions. Thanks again!

I too prefer the 2.5" width... seems to be a nice sweet spot.

The Spanish leather strop from Ambrose is excellent. A very smooth and sharp finisher without too much draw. I still prefer cordovan, but this is a real close second. Can't go wrong there! :thumbup1:

Top Bottom