What's new

Strop Brands Question HELP

Hey guys, I am looking for a new strop that won't break me. I know about tony millers, but thats about it. Are Fromm's any good? Also what are some other good strop brands to look for?

I found the B&B brand strops on ebay and they look ok. Does anybody have any experience with them? Do they suck?

I am looking for one with leather and canvas/linen/cotton.

Help! I am lost on this one. too many crappy brands. Thanks guys.

William

You could get an Illinois strop for < $40. I have one and they are not bad at all at that price point. I was surprised actually at how nice it was for the price.

If you want a beginner's strop- Larry Andro's Poor Man's kit at http://www.whippeddog.com/ kit is made from good leather.

The B & B and N.Y. strops are crap. My friend bought one and the leather is like plastic and the canvas lumps.
I haven't heard much about Fromm strops. The only negatives I've read are that the leather is waxy and the canvas is stiff.

I'll second the Illinois if you want a canvas component. I have a 127 and it's really not bad at all.

The cheapest decent strop I've found with a separate component is the Star Shaving Supplies "Big Mama" on eBay. The second component is wool felt.

If you get up into the $55.-$60. range you'll have a lot more choice.

I'm prety new on these forums but allot of people seem to recommend Ambrose strops, I've just orderd one.
Kind Regards - Neill

Last edited:
Hey guys Tony Miller PM'd me today about some strops, but by the time I got to his website they were all sold out. GRR. oh well. Still looking but thanks for the help guys. I will get one of Tony's when he has more. And I think I will restore an older one off of ebay. I may pick up a fromm too. I want one to teach on that I will not mind if it is abused a little.

RupRazor has a couple nice options at good prices. Plus they're absolutely huge stropping surfaces. You can get a Toro for $40.

I'll second the KenRup strops. My Filly and Paladin have served me well. I have an antique Illinois 127 that I don't even bother with anymore, but they're a good option for cheap.

Top Bottom