What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I already did 3 weeks ago now. It's probably a waist of linen, but I had read that it holds compound more like denim. It works, worst case scenario you have to sell me a replacement linen. 😬
I do agree the weave and texture is better suited to pasting than most of the cotton I have found. I did find a much more even surface cotton but it is so thin and flexy I didn't feel it would hold up well but need to experiment more with it.

I do agree the weave and texture is better suited to pasting than most of the cotton I have found. I did find a much more even surface cotton but it is so thin and flexy I didn't feel it would hold up well but need to experiment more with it.
Just for reference, here it is after some use. This is one of Keith’s compounds.

B7503EEB-C2CC-484C-A85A-C960B001AC63.jpeg

Well I finally decided to retire my grandfather’s Imperial Russian Dubl Duck strop from daily use. I‘ll bring it out for special occasions, but it‘s getting put to the side to pass along. Served me well for the past 10+ years. I just took possession of a Tony Miller limited bridle strop. An amazing strop; very fast with a fantastic smooth buttery draw. Also very supple compared to the Russian leather.

As a long time SR shaver, I really appreciate a good piece of leather for stropping. Tony Miller makes a fabulous strop at a great price! This one one is rated slower than others…I am mind blown because it’s uber fast and super quick turn 40 smooth laps. In case anyone wants to know what 30+ years of strop use looks like I included the old with the new.
61FB717F-0A94-4DDF-AACF-E7BC50A604B9.jpeg

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
As a long time SR shaver, I really appreciate a good piece of leather for stropping. Tony Miller makes a fabulous strop at a great price! This one one is rated slower than others…I am mind blown because it’s uber fast and super quick turn 40 smooth laps. In case anyone wants to know what 30+ years of strop use looks like I included the old with the new.
View attachment 1453476
Thanks! The Oil Tanned Bridle, formerly known as my old "Fast Bridle" was one of my faster leathers, just not as fast as the original hides were from a few years ago. Maybe a light medium but not slow at all.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
What's meant by fast / slow as opposed to light / heavy ?
Fast would typically be a light draw where the razor glides across the surface almost unencumbered, slow would be a heavy draw where the razor feels a bit like it has the brakes on. I like light/fast for lightweight, super hollow grinds, heavy/slow for the larger "meat chopper" type razors.

Fast would typically be a light draw where the razor glides across the surface almost unencumbered, slow would be a heavy draw where the razor feels a bit like it has the brakes on. I like light/fast for lightweight, super hollow grinds, heavy/slow for the larger "meat chopper" type razors.
Thank you, so it doesn't affect how quick it readies a razor for the shave as in how many laps. You confirmed what I thought.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Thank you, so it doesn't affect how quick it readies a razor for the shave as in how many laps. You confirmed what I thought.
I think in the end, any leather of any draw gets the job done but it is possible that a heavier draw, having more friction could in theory get the job done quicker but this is just my guess. Draw has more to do with the feedback to the user, what they like, what gives them better control over the movements, their esthetic taste and even their sense of tradition with more "classic" leathers vs. newer introductions to strops, etc.....

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Been needing a new strop, ended up ordering the last Tony Miller Old No.2 in Steerhide this morning. Pricing was very fair. Will post pics when it arrives.
Thank you. These are a little firm when new but break in nicely. The traditional square cut end is my favorite style too.

The LOTH went to an estate sale and came home with these. I don't own a SR and have no clue about strops but are these useable?
IMG_20220526_180826.jpg

IMG_20220526_180849.jpg

It looks like the bottom one is missing the grip.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The top two look eminently usable. The bottom two may need a little bit of cleaning up in places with fine sandpaper to get them smooth.

As @Titleist said, some Neatsfoot Oil would also help improve the leather. Use just a very little. The less the better.

The bottom one is not missing its handle. Many strips were made without handles. Their free end is just held between the fingers.

Now that you have the Strops, all you need is a shave-ready SR and you are good to go. Before you do however, read this post. Then, if you are stupid enough, you need to read the instructions:

Nicks in all the normal areas of the strops, but still usable with a little attention. Looks like a previous owner was moving too fast and not paying attention to their technique.

Top Bottom