What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@TheBeast in Slovakia received his first strop today, a 60mm wide calf-hide from China.

PXL_20220201_155208320.jpg
This is one of the older thicker-leather strops. Not bad for about €12 including shipping. That should give him something to cut up while he learns.

All he needs now is a shave-ready SR and he should be right to go.

I found a Wester Bros. "Booster" Russian shell strop in nice shape today. The surprising part is that the reverse side had a very fresh looking complete coat of red strop paste. There was enough paste that it was transferring to the linen component.

I gave it a little Fromm strop dressing and used it to strop my Rigarazor for todays shave. I think it will be part of my strop rotation.
03918832-7556-405A-9269-492192CE9E60.jpeg

5FAED4EA-9CF4-4A9E-A658-2C99DE228AD7.jpeg

Receive a very nice Buffalo Strop...and it was a wow! Thick and heavy with a very smooth stropping surface! There's linen and cotton too. The price is just too awesome to resist...came together with the Wade & Butcher wedge
20220213_191650.jpg
20220213_191543.jpg

I have one of his strops.
Hey, thanks for your comment. Can I ask for your feedback? The strop leather surface looks crinkled and running my hands on it I can feel the crinkly sorta bump...but yet smooth. I only used it 3 times and felt it was very smooth...
Is it normal to be like that (looks crinkly and feels not as smooth by hand but yet smooth when stropping)?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hey, thanks for your comment. Can I ask for your feedback? The strop leather surface looks crinkled and running my hands on it I can feel the crinkly sorta bump...but yet smooth. I only used it 3 times and felt it was very smooth...
Is it normal to be like that (looks crinkly and feels not as smooth by hand but yet smooth when stropping)?
I found it to be a bit fast, thick and heavy for my taste but it works nonetheless. Also, I prefer a 2 1/2” strop over 3”. It was well made. I didn’t get the cloth strop because i use pasted balsa. I finally got a Tony Miller strop which is the best strop I’ve ever used. It fits my stropping motion and speed perfectly.

I found it to be a bit fast, thick and heavy for my taste but it works nonetheless. Also, I prefer a 2 1/2” strop over 3”. It was well made. I didn’t get the cloth strop because i use pasted balsa. I finally got a Tony Miller strop which is the best strop I’ve ever used. It fits my stropping motion and speed perfectly.
Fast, thick, and heavy - I agree with you. I do also use the pasted balsa. I wanted a Tony Miller since late last year but he stopped shipping internationally and recently he is also not well too. Ah well, I'll make do with this Buffalo and get the best out of it...
Which TM strop did you get btw?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Fast, thick, and heavy - I agree with you. I do also use the pasted balsa. I wanted a Tony Miller since late last year but he stopped shipping internationally and recently he is also not well too. Ah well, I'll make do with this Buffalo and get the best out of it...
Which TM strop did you get btw?
I got the Heirloom horse hide in 2 1/2” width with no linen. It’s a beautiful strop. I’ve wanted one for years and finally got one. The Buffalo strops are really good so you got a nice strop.

Hello gents. Heard many good things regarding Tony Miller, and his strops out of his company "Heirloom Razor Strop Company". Tony helped me decide on the strop that was right for what I was looking for. After a few emails that he promptly responded to, I settled on the 3-inch, Horween Horsehide Plain in the super fast draw, with the secondary strop material of Genuine Flax Linen.

I chose the genuine flax linen because I carry my blade finishing out to 0.1 balsa. So I wanted the softest secondary material offered. This 2ndary material looks and feels perfect. The leather portion of the strop is super smooth, but without that plastic hard feel. It is still soft, but with a very fast draw - exactly what I was looking for. The pics below show the leather portion, the genuine flax linen portion, and the D-rings.

This is a high quality strop, at a very reasonable price! Thanks all here at B&B for your references, and thank you Tony for your great customer service, products and pricing!

TM D Rings.jpg
TM Strop.jpg
TM Linen.jpg

My Strop-It Supex 77 paddle strop set arrived today from The Invisible Edge in the UK to Texas in under 5 days!

Attachments

• 399CAC70-9B17-4A89-9E8E-20DC2E6548E1.jpeg
    399CAC70-9B17-4A89-9E8E-20DC2E6548E1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 8650A8F0-BCFF-46E6-9F3B-C6712D5ACC8B.jpeg
    8650A8F0-BCFF-46E6-9F3B-C6712D5ACC8B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 28
  • 25B4115B-AFF4-4524-9C14-72C0863103B4.jpeg
    25B4115B-AFF4-4524-9C14-72C0863103B4.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 29
  • CE6EB3FF-D40D-491A-9DB1-D599C1756A62.jpeg
    CE6EB3FF-D40D-491A-9DB1-D599C1756A62.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 64D1E75E-A5B2-4C9C-9CCB-1AC755E25406.jpeg
    64D1E75E-A5B2-4C9C-9CCB-1AC755E25406.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
So I "accidentally" won this...

s-l1600.jpg

I like it enough as a display item so I figured why not! It needs some stitching, but as best as I can tell the leather is good. No idea what I have bought, but it is shell supposedly.

Does anybody know who can do strop repair? The handle needs restitching, not fully separated. Plus I would like to have the leather assessed/treated if it is worth it.

Does anybody know who can do strop repair? The handle needs restitching, not fully separated. Plus I would like to have the leather assessed/treated if it is worth it.
I think that razoremporium do strop restoration, however as I have never sent them a strop to be repaired, I dont know what they do with the strops, what quality workmanship etc.

As my beloved 1st strop has now become somewhat (predictably) cut up I have decided that it is time for a replacement

20220330_150146.jpg

The invisable edge "standard plus" canvas backed hanging strop. It looks like a quality strop and I hope that by now I have learned how to not cut a strop to pieces. :lol1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Ha! Good one Richard ! :001_tt2:

At one point I had my Amish friends help cut strop blanks and make end caps for me but once I had more time I did everything in house. They did a wonderful job and I enjoyed my visits with them greatly. My 4 sided paddle blanks are still made by a Mennonite woodturner in Lancaster to my pattern and finished here in my shop. I did have a friend help assemble hanging strops many years ago but had to redo way too much work. It is hard to make others care as much about what you do as you do yourself.

I am my product and the two cannot be separated :biggrin1:
Interesting... we used to live just north of Morgantown, PA... a few miles east of Rt. 10..... I didn't realize you were in PA, for some reason. We've been out to the Amish areas around Lancaster quite a few times.... beautiful farms out that way.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Interesting... we used to live just north of Morgantown, PA... a few miles east of Rt. 10..... I didn't realize you were in PA, for some reason. We've been out to the Amish areas around Lancaster quite a few times.... beautiful farms out that way.
I am in Maryland, north of Baltimore actually but have bought much of my leather from Amish harness makers near Lancaster and used to use a few friends south of Buck and in Drumore to help with cutting materials many years ago.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As my beloved 1st strop has now become somewhat (predictably) cut up I have decided that it is time for a replacement

View attachment 1431554

The invisable edge "standard plus" canvas backed hanging strop. It looks like a quality strop and I hope that by now I have learned how to not cut a strop to pieces. :lol1:
Good luck with your new strop. I cut through two before things settled down. It was only after about a year of cuttless stropping that I risked getting my first good strop.

Good luck with your new strop. I cut through two before things settled down. It was only after about a year of cuttless stropping that I risked getting my first good strop.

Thanks, I seem to be on a bit of a roll on the not cutting up the strop front. Even so I too shall wait at least a year of cut free strops until I treat myself to a Tony Miller strop.

Top Bottom