What's new

Strop Acquisition Thread

I got my new Tony Miller oil tanned bridle plain chocolate strop today and I am impressed. I'm pretty new to SR shaving and stropping but this is very clearly a high quality piece!
20220602_181348.jpg

20220602_195252.jpg

Last edited:
As a long time SR shaver, I really appreciate a good piece of leather for stropping. Tony Miller makes a fabulous strop at a great price! This one one is rated slower than others…I am mind blown because it’s uber fast and super quick turn 40 smooth laps. In case anyone wants to know what 30+ years of strop use looks like I included the old with the new.
View attachment 1453476
Well it’s been about a month, I am still in love with this Tony Miller strop! Excellent results, gorgeous looking just hanging waiting to be used, and that fast silky smooth draw is wonderful.

A couple of new ones just landed from Scrupleworks in Norway. A green Swedish bridle with linen and a barbers ended travel strops. These are my first bovine leather strops. The Swedish bridle is thick, stiff and fast. The travel strop is flexible, stretchy with a slow draw.

The strops came semi rolled in a box. The strops were in a circle with the stropping surface covered in protective paper and taped to the sides of the box so that they couldn’t move. They were well packed but somewhere between Oslo and Melbourne some postal workers decided to play a game of football with the box. The leather had a few waves in it as a result. I wiped the strops with a damp towel and laid them for a day under my 10kg granite surface plate. I then hung the bridal strop for a day with a 2kg weight hanging from it. With a few hand rubbing sessions in between to heat them up and flex them, the strops are nice and flat again.

These are very nice strops. The T handle is nice touch and very comfortable. I’m also starting to enjoy barber ends more, particularly on thinner strops.

Swedish Bridle and Linen

135C7165-0145-4B2D-9697-5652228A2EF7.jpeg

4A62487B-5B54-455D-831D-6493B9F60486.jpeg

Travel Strop with Barber End

7C648C6E-33CF-4E57-83CC-410067FC11F8.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
A couple of new ones just landed from Scrupleworks in Norway. A green Swedish bridle with linen and a barbers ended travel strops. These are my first bovine leather strops. The Swedish bridle is thick, stiff and fast. The travel strop is flexible, stretchy with a slow draw.

The strops came semi rolled in a box. The strops were in a circle with the stropping surface covered in protective paper and taped to the sides of the box so that they couldn’t move. They were well packed but somewhere between Oslo and Melbourne some postal workers decided to play a game of football with the box. The leather had a few waves in it as a result. I wiped the strops with a damp towel and laid them for a day under my 10kg granite surface plate. I then hung the bridal strop for a day with a 2kg weight hanging from it. With a few hand rubbing sessions in between to heat them up and flex them, the strops are nice and flat again.

These are very nice strops. The T handle is nice touch and very comfortable. I’m also starting to enjoy barber ends more, particularly on thinner strops.

Swedish Bridle and Linen

View attachment 1476078

View attachment 1476079

View attachment 1476080
That T handle is unusual. I like it.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Love the T-handles. Wish I could still find them.

When shipping internationally I always worry at some customs stop the strop will be unpacked for inspection and repacked poorly, arriving damaged.

When shipping internationally I always worry at some customs stop the strop will be unpacked for inspection and repacked poorly, arriving damaged.
For me, it's been them opening it the minimum that they can and re-sealing it the minimum they can. I have had items with wrapping still intact that I could shake out of the box! :scared:

My first strop straightening efforts didn’t quite do the trick. I then came across this old thread from @tonymiller which has set things right. Molding the strop a little, then molding a slight crown in the middle and then flattening under the granite surface plate seems to have finally done the trick.

While it wasn’t the cause the waviness, the design of the Scrupleworks strop did not help. Unlike most strops where the linen and leather are separate components, on the Scrupleworks strops the two comments are sewn together into one. This means that any tension you put into the handle to pull the strop taught is halved between the leather and the linen.

I’m still on the fence with this detail. In some ways it’s nice. You don’t get the secondary component swinging around while you strop which is a plus. It is really quick and easy to switch between components by turning the handle which is also nice. The downsides are that you can not remove the linen or leather for cleaning and it’s harder to put adequate tension into the strop.

The components are sewn together at the bottom and free to slide over the hardware at the top. This is smart as it allows the tension in the two sides to balance out even if the components stretch with time. In my case the leather was left a little long and was not allowing free movement at the top. This meant that you could get the linen side tight but not the leather. I fixed this by trimming the leather and now the two sides can equalised properly.

316E0A48-DC33-46A4-A6B8-E76444D4D891.jpeg

612325C0-7F29-40F3-869F-4DDC210A782B.jpeg

AE336A7E-930B-4B1B-BF4B-9009B67185ED.jpeg

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
While it wasn’t the cause the waviness, the design of the Scrupleworks strop did not help. Unlike most strops where the linen and leather are separate components, on the Scrupleworks strops the two comments are sewn together into one. This means that any tension you put into the handle to pull the strop taught is halved between the leather and the linen.

I’m still on the fence with this detail. In some ways it’s nice. You don’t get the secondary component swinging around while you strop which is a plus. It is really quick and easy to switch between components by turning the handle which is also nice. The downsides are that you can not remove the linen or leather for cleaning and it’s harder to put adequate tension into the strop.

The components are sewn together at the bottom and free to slide over the hardware at the top. This is smart as it allows the tension in the two sides to balance out even if the components stretch with time. In my case the leather was left a little long and was not allowing free movement at the top. This meant that you could get the linen side tight but not the leather. I fixed this by trimming the leather and now the two sides can equalised properly.

View attachment 1477900

View attachment 1477901

View attachment 1477903
Yeah, my personal strop, the leather and linen are attached at both ends. This required me to workout the amount of stretch of both parts, at the amount of tension I like to use, so both end up flat.

Doable for one strop for me. A nightmare to do for a commercial product.

Swedish Bridle and Linen

View attachment 1476078

View attachment 1476079

View attachment 1476080
I am Norwegian. I am a bit ashamed that i did not know about these. The last thing i need is a new strop, but now i can give my wife an excuse to get one. We need to support the local craftsmen:)

Top Bottom