What's new

Straight Virgin no more!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
You are getting it. Have you given your razor one of the standard sharpness tests? I think if a good honer got ahold of your razor and put a great edge on it, your shave would take a quantum leap forward. Just guessing.

At this point you might want to consider trying your hand at honing. You do not need a bevel setter and full progression for that razor. You can get by with just a good finisher. This could be a 12k Naniwa, or a piece of acrylic `1" x 3" x 3/4" and some 1u lapping film. That will give you a quite serviceable edge. If you want to up your game, have a go with the pasted balsa strop as per The Method. If you are capable of unquestionably following directions that have a proven track record, then you are capable of putting an insanely sharp edge on your razor and upping your shave game to the next level. Look in the Honing sub forum, in the stickies at the top of the page, for the "Newbie Honing Compendium", and read EVERYTHING start to finish. And consider getting a second razor so you can still shave while you are working on getting the other shave ready again. If the second razor comes to you shave ready, you will not have to buy any additional equipment beyond your finisher and your balsa strops.

Well done!!

Please take the following with a pinch of salt, but it seems that your first shave was the better one and after that it did not improve which is understandable only being in a couple of shaves.

Is that razor sharp, does it treetop effortlessly across the length of the blade? Looking at your shave results I would guess the edge sharpness deteriorated, either that or you are not stretching the skin enough. Just some thoughs.

10 shaves in I already had some nasty cuts... Keep going you are doing very well.

proxy.php
proxy.php

And so the addiction continues!

So I noticed a got a scratch on my strop after the last shave. So I ordered the lapping film and will follow Slash's honing method as soon as I pick up a piece of marble or acrylic from Home Depot. In the meantime I bought another razor. It's another Drew Dick, but 1/2 hollow instead of quarter hollow and the blade is definitely shorter with a barber's notch and a smile.
Stropped it and went to work today...
Let me first say - "WOW" I love this blade! Love the singing of that 1/2 hollow, this blade is definitely sharper, echoing the point that I need to hone my other razor.
Still like starting at the neck and working my way up. Getting much better at pulling my skin taut.
I now do two full passes WTG in a much more organized method. I generally apply the proraso to my entire whisker base, but only lather from mouth down and shave that area. Then I lather my mustache stubble and shave there... Then repeat before my witch hazel, nivea finishing routine.

This hobby is addicting! Wonderful to take such a mundane task and elevate it to an enjoyable experience. Thanks for all the tips, and encouragement.

Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Congrats sir! You are getting there, it’s just practice and repetition, just like learning to ride a bicycle. I also noted that the only places that you've had issues seem to be those that are the most difficult to shave well.

quick, standard advice: keep your pressure very light, strokes short, and the blade nearly flat to your face. Take your time and re-lather if your lather gets dry.

Nice razor BTW, that’s a good looking one.

proxy.php
proxy.php

And so the addiction continues!

So I noticed a got a scratch on my strop after the last shave. So I ordered the lapping film and will follow Slash's honing method as soon as I pick up a piece of marble or acrylic from Home Depot. In the meantime I bought another razor. It's another Drew Dick, but 1/2 hollow instead of quarter hollow and the blade is definitely shorter with a barber's notch and a smile.
Stropped it and went to work today...
Let me first say - "WOW" I love this blade! Love the singing of that 1/2 hollow, this blade is definitely sharper, echoing the point that I need to hone my other razor.
Still like starting at the neck and working my way up. Getting much better at pulling my skin taut.
I now do two full passes WTG in a much more organized method. I generally apply the proraso to my entire whisker base, but only lather from mouth down and shave that area. Then I lather my mustache stubble and shave there... Then repeat before my witch hazel, nivea finishing routine.

This hobby is addicting! Wonderful to take such a mundane task and elevate it to an enjoyable experience. Thanks for all the tips, and encouragement.
That’s fantastic news and a beautiful razor you have there. Good advise from Steve above.
The more you practice the better the shave. Understanding and evolving your technique is critical, keep working at it. Well done and keep us update on your progress.

It's great to see a freshman like myself staying the course.
I'm getting excellent shaves from my Koraat (only 3 so far).
Im happy to say I got the hang of stropping right from the get go.
I believe stropping is critical and I would venture to say that there is no way
one can stuff it up once they learn that the trick is the way you hold the razor to facilitate easy
turning over of the spine.

The time I invested in a cheap shavette paid off for me. I used it for about 10-12 consecutive shaves
to get a hang of the strokes needed for my growth...and also to get things like angle and pressure
just right.

The cuts Im seeing on your face...I think there is a very high probability that they would lessen greatly
if you stretched your skin absolutely taut. I learned this the hard way. Great going so far.

Nice to see a ‘warts and all’ journal, I cut my face at least twice almost every shave for the first 50 or so. Once the cuts stop you almost miss them.

Ok probably on 15th or so shave now.
This was a two pass, WTG.
Notes:
My habit has become stropping with leather before and stropping with Linen after shaving.
Still haven't taken the step to honing. I will definitely make that jump this weekend. I have lapping film, a piece of smooth glass tile, and I ordered .1 micron 10% diamond paste. I'll pick up some balsa this weekend too.
My plan for this weekend is to essentially strop (spine first) with the .3 micron film, followed by the .1 micron balsa diamond, followed by plain balsa. I'll report the results.
Picked up the Aqua Velva for 3 bucks at the dollar store and figured I give it a whirl in place of the witch hazel, pre-balm. Wowza! that'll light you up!
Also my lather is getting much better. I realize sometimes you need to add a few drops more water before foaming up for the second pass.

If anyone has any tips for how to get directly under my nose without employing a safety razor, I'm all ears. I tried going across the grain today and felt the blade was going to bite, so I backed off.

I ordered a couple more soaps from the west coast sale bin to try, if anyone likes any other after balms let me know, I may pick them up too.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For right under the nose, pull your nose up tight and stretch your lip down. Let the sun shine down into those nostrils! Make the piggy face, and keep the spine in tight against the underside of the nose, pressure very light. You will get it. Or grow a Hitler moustache.

If anyone has any tips for how to get directly under my nose without employing a safety razor, I'm all ears.
My own technique is to use my free hand to push my nose up and away from the side of the nose I'm working on, and essentially have the blade flat against my nostril with the edge meeting my lip just at the junction with my nose. It's a bit of a larger angle than ideal, but it cuts the whiskers, and I keep adjusting the angle as I swipe down the lip until I get to a more ideal angle. Of course I use a 5/8; you're working with a bit bigger blade, and I don't know if that would make a difference.

My plan for this weekend is to essentially strop (spine first) with the .3 micron film, followed by the .1 micron balsa diamond, followed by plain balsa. I'll report the results.

When you get going:

The film needs to be viewed as a stone. (edge leading stokes)
The balsa as a leather strop. (spine leading strokes...use very light touch
on balsa, hold it in your hand facing you)

Top Bottom