What's new

"Straight" razors that don't shave.

Don't know if this is the proper place to put this and if not could one of the moderators please move it.
This thread is essentially about those little miniature straight razors that were designed to remove corns from your feet. I suppose some of them with a straight cutting edge could be used to shave with but it might be a bit difficult.
Not sure exactly how far back these little critters go but they have been around for awhile in various forms. Most are of the folding variety but I have a couple that are fixed blade. The handle materials range from celluloid to bone to ivory to pearl to metal. The later versions seem to incorporate safety guards to limit the depth of the cut. The vast majority of the ones I have were made in Germany by a lot of manufacturers.There were also pocket knives designed specifically for corns as well.
The first two examples are fixed blade corn razors.One is by Kampfe Bros. and the second by Parex.
Next is a smooth bone handled one by Krusius Bros. The KB Extra designation was their top of the line marking. They also made pocket knives as well.
Fourth is an unmarked one with black composition handles.Not sure exactly what makes up this stuff but if it gets overheated it will ignite and produce thick white smoke and is near impossible to extinguish. Don't ask how i know this.
Last for this post is a French ivory handled one by Schnefel Bros. marked La Cross.

Attachments

• $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 275.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 275.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 130
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 277.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 277.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 128
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 281.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 281.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 129
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 283.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 283.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 128
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 284.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 284.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 128
Some more:
First up is a pearl scaled one marked Lily which I believe is an Eli Lily product. They are a pharmaceutical company.
Second is a pair of razors by Bontgen and Sabin; a German firm that is more known for their switchblade knives.
Third is one by F.A.Koch;another knife manufacturer.
Fourth is by Vom Cleff;a very old knife manufacturer.
Last is by L&F. Tried researching this one but found no info.Thought it might have been a product of Landers,Frary,and Clark;a Connecticut knife manufacturer.

Attachments

• $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 287.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 287.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 119
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 289.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 289.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 120
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 291.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 291.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 119
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 294.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 294.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 119
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 296.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 296.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 120
Here are a couple more and two corn knives that are essentially single blade pocket knives with a special extra thin and very sharp(similar to a razor)blade. They are usually found with chipped and/or broken blades as they are extremely hard and brittle and usually break if used as a regular knife.

Attachments

• $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 298.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 298.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 101
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 301.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 301.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 101
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 312.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 312.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 101
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 303.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 303.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 101
  • $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 305.jpg
    $RazorStuffMachinistsBox3 305.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 101
Man. I've actually used a disposable razor for the purpose a corn razor was designed for - and it was a predictably substandard experience to say the least, as I couldn't find a single bladed disposable at the time. You want to talk about "tugging"...

I would have really preferred a real corn razor.

Fourth is an unmarked one with black composition handles.Not sure exactly what makes up this stuff but if it gets overheated it will ignite and produce thick white smoke and is near impossible to extinguish.

If not hard rubber then celluloid, both of which will burn like nobody’s business!

Top Bottom