What's new

Straight razor blade width 4/8, 5/8, 6/8...

I started out with 5/8 & 6/8 blades, but I'm finding I almost always reach for 7/8 blades now. Just personal preference, as others have said. I also just like the way bigger blades look!

For me I wouldn't buy anything under a 6/8 . I prefer the larger blades with the added weight . Just like English stated for the plow effect .

My small 4/8 and 5/8 razors jump on my face . Not enough heft . My facial hairs require a darn hatchet LOL .

Far as the 8/8 not being easy to use - I disagree . After I shaved with one a few times I got used to it . I never pick it up and regret not picking a smaller blade . For me there was probably a two shave learning curve with an 8/8 . After that all down hill .

cityjim

I don't particularly like anything over 6/8. I have them just because I can and I use them occasionally, but given the same edge quality I'd rather use a 4/8 full hollow than a 9/8 wedge. In fact it was only very recently that I picked up that monster just to try it and after one more shave it's going to be gone for good.

My own preference is for a 5/8" full hollow. Easy to find you might say.

Well that is not true. I had a 5/8" Wade and Butcher full hollow for many many years and I dropped it and the blade snapped in two.

So I started on my quest for a replacement. I tried many vintage brands in 5/8", but no joy. I tried Dovo's etc.,etc., I then got some comfort from a few 6/8" blade. So I tried a 7/8". Infact all that was happening was that the extra weight in the spine was pushing the blade through my beard. I tried over 100 razors.

Today I have two razors that I alternate. They are both 5/8" full hollow. One is a Wilkinson of Pall Mall and the other is a Boker. They suit me. The thing they have in common is that they are made of really good steel.

It's difficult to describe but you can see a good steel when you hone the edge. It looks more compacted, denser somehow. Its almost as if someone seived the ingredients and took all the lumps out. They just look smoother and more consistant. You can not miss it when you know what you are looking for. It's like the difference between a madera cake and a ordinary sponge cake. Old Puma steel has it. Some of the Sheffield blades have it as do some of the vintage Swedish blades.

The reason I tell you this story because what I learnt during my three year quest is that the quality of the steel that the razor is made of is far more important than the size.

Is it?
Or is it a "natural evolution"?
Why do I start with the 5/8 but most of us move on to the big choppers?
Does size matter?

I don't think that there is a set sequence. Just ask Lynn over at SRP - he's shaved with thousand of different razors, and although he does have large razors, he also has smaller 4/8 & 5/8 blades that he uses in his quite impressive "rotation."

yeah, but lynn's cheating, he shaves with other people's razors, his own collection is supposedly smaller than many others'.

I was just using that as an example - I don't think you could say that everyone prefers larger blades. Some find 8/8 too large, and some find 5/8 too small. I will quote a very wise man:
Just personal preference, as others have said.
:biggrin:

I don't particularly like anything over 6/8. I have them just because I can and I use them occasionally, but given the same edge quality I'd rather use a 4/8 full hollow than a 9/8 wedge. In fact it was only very recently that I picked up that monster just to try it and after one more shave it's going to be gone for good.

Send me a PM if you want to sell your 9/8 .

cityjim

Top Bottom