What's new

Straight razor blade width 4/8, 5/8, 6/8...

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
All right, I was thinking about which straight razor I should get next:)rolleyes:).

I saw a few straights that looked interesting with different blade width (4/8, 5/8, 6/8). I understand that a newbie would be using a smaller size (4/8) and a more experienced hand would use a bigger size (6/8). The smaller razor will be more manoeuverable.

My first straight is a 11/16 and I love it. I have some problems in a few directions but I doubt it's related to the size of the blade. What I have is an angle issue.

Would it be possible to have a bit more information on the blade size as how a bigger blade will be problematic vs a smaller one? Is it a preference or getting a 6/8 is really superior to a 5/8? Is the difference that obivious between a 5/8 and 6/8? A picture of the blades side by side might help my understanding.

Last edited:
hey mate.

it doesnt matter, really. I love my small wedge, but I also really like some of my bigger blades. Given youre new, but not BRAND new you should just go with whichever one (and whatever grind, for that matter) you like the look of most.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks Dunny. I usually prefer heavier razors so I might stick with them. However, I was wondering where a smaller/bigger razor is better. I guess it's a matter of preference more than anything else.

I think its all personal preference. A larger blade allows you to see the angle a little better, but its also a lot harder to maneuver around your face. Get to 8/8 and its really really hard and unwieldy. Too small and...well, its just too small. Too small for me is less than 5/8. Just doesn't feel right.

There are three variables on blades that affect the way the cut feels.

Width grind and weight.

Men with heavy wiry beards prefer a heavy spined razor as this give a bit more heft to the blade that helps the blade plough through the beard. Blades that weigh 55 grammes and above have this heavier weight.

Grind tends to effect the flex of the blade. Full hollow singing razors are the thinnest most flexible razors and the blade gets progressively heavier and less flexible as you progress 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, 3/4 hollow and finally the full wedge. Incidentally, the blades are easier to hone if they are hollowed. You can hear a lot of scraping as you shave with a hollowed razor but a wedge is almost silent.

Width. Blades progress from 3/8" wide to over one inch wide.
5/8" are the most commonly sold and used but 4/8" and 6/8" are also very popular. The narrower the blade the easier it is to shave under the nose or to trim up a mustache. The wider the blade, the more soap the blade will hold. But a 7/8" full hollow has lots of flex with a bit of weight and plenty of space to collect soap. If you want a narrow blade with a bit of weight a 3/4 hollow 4/8" might be your perfect choice.

The options are endless. But a 5/8" full hollow razor is by far the most commonly available.

If you like 11/16ths, 6/8ths and 5/8ths would be in your wheelhouse.

Smaller razors for beginners? I really don't think so. Lots of people begin shooting with a .410 shotgun, yet using a .410 for bird hunting is an experts game. I feel 4/8ths razors are for trim work. I know some will disagree, but what is true for me is what concerns me.

Would it be possible to have a bit more information on the blade size as how a bigger blade will be problematic vs a smaller one? Is it a preference or getting a 6/8 is really superior to a 5/8?

Yes a larger blade makes it easier to judge angle visually, though eventually you won't need the visual cues to judge angle.

However, if you're looking at spine height to judge angle keep in mind that the increase in spine height is ~1/2 the increase in blade width, so there's very little advantage to a 6/8 over a 5/8 in this regard. For the purpose you mentioned, I'd recommend a 7/8 which does give you a lot more visual feedback while still being reasonably maneuverable. Don't go much larger than that or the razor starts becoming heavy and cumbersome, though if you can find a frameback-style grind it will do a good job of minimising this.

I belong to the camp that says it doesn't matter. Every blade I have tried so far has offered something different to enjoy.
As far as size goes, I have a 7/8 Wosty that feels surprisingly nimble. The 6/8 LeGrelot handles heavier than a couple of other blades of similar advertised size, even though all three are heavier grinds.

Between the size, weight and don't forget, tips available, there is an almost galactic selection from which to choose. Yep, I know, your welcome :biggrin:.

My very first razor was just a smidge over 4/8. I thought it was too small and wanted something bigger. After having used larger blades of different grinds, I appreciate the smaller one much more. Overall, I like all of them, and I love being able to choose different sizes and shapes according to my mood any given morning.

As for advice, until you've built up a solid stable of razors, I'd suggest buying something completely new to you each time - sample a variety. After all, if you decide you really don't like one, getting rid of it in the B/S/T shouldn't be too hard.

If you like 11/16ths, 6/8ths and 5/8ths would be in your wheelhouse.

Smaller razors for beginners? I really don't think so. Lots of people begin shooting with a .410 shotgun, yet using a .410 for bird hunting is an experts game. I feel 4/8ths razors are for trim work. I know some will disagree, but what is true for me is what concerns me.

I completely agree. 4/8 razors are for people who can't afford a larger one, or for messing around with. 5/8 is plenty small enough.

Luc

Staff member
Great response, thanks for the information!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I understand that a newbie would be using a smaller size (4/8)
Well, actually, it is for reasons such as these ...
Men with heavy wiry beards prefer a heavy spined razor as this give a bit more heft to the blade that helps the blade plough through the beard. Blades that weigh 55 grammes and above have this heavier weight.

Yes a larger blade makes it easier to judge angle visually, though eventually you won't need the visual cues to judge angle.

However, if you're looking at spine height to judge angle keep in mind that the increase in spine height is ~1/2 the increase in blade width, so there's very little advantage to a 6/8 over a 5/8 in this regard. For the purpose you mentioned, I'd recommend a 7/8 which does give you a lot more visual feedback while still being reasonably maneuverable. Don't go much larger than that or the razor starts becoming heavy and cumbersome, though if you can find a frameback-style grind it will do a good job of minimising this.

... that I'd actually suggest a larger blade for beginners. Also, a bigger blade is easier to strop compared to a small one, which is much easier to 'roll' in a moment of inattention.

Ultimately, of course, it boils down to personal preference. But for beginners I'd be wary of smaller blades and anything with a non-rounded point.

... that I'd actually suggest a larger blade for beginners. Also, a bigger blade is easier to strop compared to a small one, which is much easier to 'roll' in a moment of inattention.

Ultimately, of course, it boils down to personal preference. But for beginners I'd be wary of smaller blades and anything with a non-rounded point.

A large blade is awkward for beginners, IMHO. The fingers commanding the blade by moving the shank make more aggressive moves the bigger the blade is, let me explain, geometrically speaking - if the fingers do a small rotation angle on the shank, the bigger the blade is, more quick and far will the blade edge move, right? Compare shaving the mustach and putting a 8/8 meat chopper under the nose or a smaller razor.
That's why the size I suggest for the absolute beginners is a round point 5/8 full hallow.

As others have mentioned, it really depends on your beard and preferences. Generally speaking, I find 5/8 just fine for WTG and XTG passes, a little too insubstantial for ATG.

Why not a frameback? They are superb shavers, easy to use, fairly easy to get at a decent price.

Another take on it is this... My favorite 3 razors are all totally different in terms of both grind and size. It's all about aesthetics, balance, and edge IMO. Cheers!

My first straight shave was with a full hollow Spike, in 5/8 or 9/16.
I like bigger blades, but honestly my two best are a 5/8 and a 6/8.

A large blade is awkward for beginners, IMHO. The fingers commanding the blade by moving the shank make more aggressive moves the bigger the blade is, let me explain, geometrically speaking - if the fingers do a small rotation angle on the shank, the bigger the blade is, more quick and far will the blade edge move, right? Compare shaving the mustach and putting a 8/8 meat chopper under the nose or a smaller razor.
That's why the size I suggest for the absolute beginners is a round point 5/8 full hallow.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, wouldn't the only way to add to the sweep of a blade from rotation be by adding to the length of the blade, not the width? Often the wider blades are also longer, but not by much.

For what it's worth, the first straight I tried was 5/8, I found the next blade I tried 6/8 much more comfortable.

Unless I'm reading this wrong, wouldn't the only way to add to the sweep of a blade from rotation be by adding to the length of the blade, not the width? Often the wider blades are also longer, but not by much.

We're probably talking of the same thing using different terms.
What you're talking is also right - the longer the blade is the more stubble will it shave, of course. But I'm not talking about longer blades, I'm talking about it's blade size/height in 1/8th of an inch. A 8/8 3-inch wide will sweep more stubble by using the same angle rotation than a 5/8 3-inch wide blade, right? So, we need to be more careful while maneuvering a 7/8 or 8/8 than a 5/8.

Luc

Staff member
All right. I was able to get a 5/8 and I thought it was a 4/8. I measured it and nah, real 5/8. That blade is so small... I guess it's really a preference. A 6/8 seems to be best for me... I tried 2 different 6/8 so far and prefer them to my 11/16. I will still give a go to the 5/8.

I don't think I will be considering a 9/8, that might be a bit too big... Maybe a 7/8...

Thanks everyone for the advices, again. It cleared up the question!

Honed correctly, a W&B 5/8 wedge (you lather well and I`ll shave well) makes a very neat little shaver
Kind regards Peter
PS just my two bobs worth

Top Bottom