What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

1715095590791.png

Matt at Griffith Shaving posted this magnificent-looking razor for sale a few weeks ago. And it just sat there … and sat there … day after day … sitting there for sale ... calling my name … until I could stand it no longer.

It arrived in the mail yesterday. Last night, I put it through an extended progression of low, low pressure pasted balsa strops to bring Matt’s great edge up to lightsaber sharpness. After my stropping work, I had a look under a handheld microscope and things appear quite promising: the shaving edge appears very smooth and straight, with very low glimmer at the apex. In appearance at least, it's as promising an edge as I've seen. Tomorrow morning, I'll know.

I've never used an EPBD before. I’m really, really excited to try it.

So I have used and owned various German 14 razors, Spanish 14 razors, and French 14 razors…Which ones are the best?

In my experience you really can’t say the Filarmonica or Gran Mogol 14s are better than they Henckels or Guillermo Hoppe 14s or Grelot 14s. They are all fabulous, and it comes down to specific razors…which ones have a better grind, heat treat, and which ones you connect with when using them.

So this arrived, an unhoned carbon steel Henckels 14 in a walnut box with a little note inside:

View attachment 1578551

Jay Newcomer was born 25 September 1889, and died in March of 1971. Sometime before he died, I assume that he purchased this razor as a gift for is younger brother, Earl, and made the lined walnut box to hold it.

Earl Holland Newcomer was born sometime 1903 in Bradford, PA…not too far from where I grew up. He was attending Columbia Universtiy in 1930, and became a Doctor. It appears that for some reason he never used this full size razor, as there is no hone wear or signs of use. Dr. Newcomber passed away 12 April 1987. He was survived by his son Peter, who apparently was an adventurist and an activist, who died in 2000.

I am REALLY looking forward to honing and using this special razor!

Vr

Matt

View attachment 1578556View attachment 1578557
D8B98FDD-E0F7-4DD1-8170-4A11D0A045BD.jpeg
I have a view of the 14 razors I have some more at home.

Attachments

• IMG_5374.jpeg
    IMG_5374.jpeg
    855.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5370.jpeg
    IMG_5370.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20

Legion

Staff member

I won a unique bengall too. Never seen a gold wash bengall in wild.
View attachment 1845983
Let's resurrect and keep this thread going. Those are some excellent examples. Post your pics again here.

Mail Call
JR PARIS 54. RUE DE RIVOLI #1 RAZOR 6/8"
QUARTER HOLLOW,Spacer Lead Wedge.
View attachment 1846483
View attachment 1846484
View attachment 1846485
View attachment 1846486
View attachment 1846487

UP DATE
“Ruel Jeune”
That year, salesman Xavier Ruel founded the brand new business “Ruel Jeune” at 54, rue de Rivoli. From the outset, it was nicknamed “Napoleon Bazar”: rumor has it that Xavier Ruel rescued Empress Eugénie in front of her store while her horses were rearing.
https://lemaraismood.com/comment-le-bhv-est-devenu-tendance/
R.J. PARIS 54. RUE DE RIVOLI #1 RAZOR 6/8"

I found this Case straight razor at an estate sale for $.25.

I don’t know anything about straight razors, but I know the name case from pocket knives. Are these decent straight razors? I couldn’t leave it behind for only a quarter…View attachment 1848343
Yes it’s a very decent razor. If the blade is clean or even if light rust it should clean up nicely. If there are no chips in the edge just hone it or preferably send it out to a professional honer so you will have a base line what a shave ready edge feels like.

I've got a Case razor like it in my 'waiting to be honed' box.
If I remember correctly the daughter of the knife maker was involved with the making of the straight razors I can't find my article about it at the moment.

Great deal you got :c2:

JOHN REDMAN BOYD

Corpus Christi, Texas.

W.R. Case and Sons made razors for this firm, marking tang with Case marking, etching "NO CUSSING" trademark on the blade.

ca. 1905-1906

CRANDALL CUTLERY CO

Previously the Little Valley Knife Association, Little Valley, New York. In 1903, moved to Bradford, Pennsylvania. In 1912, became part of WR Case & Sons.

ca. 1903 - 1912

GEORGE W. KORN RAZOR MANUFACTURING CO.

Little Valley, New York

This factory made razors for many firms, including Case, Cattaraugus, and Sears & Roebuck

ca. 1900 - 1925

MILLBURY RAZOR CO.

Millbury, MA. Sold to Case Brothers

ca. 1900

Top Bottom