What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Got this Erik Anton Berg from overseas. Scales were broken and a cleanup was in order. But the price was right and I noticed that there was no spine wear. I sent it out and it's back today with new scales and shave ready. Sounds like quite the win, but remember you need to buy five or ten before you hit a winner!

PXL_20210311_013148696.jpg

My latest acquisition - something I had been looking at on eBay for awhile. Mainly bought it for historical reasons, since to my understanding Cattaraugus Cutlery is the original razor company to set up shop in Little Valley New York and spur it on to becoming the Solingen of the US (at least for a little while). Also it is, or was, to my eye a great looking razor with a barber’s notch and Spanish Point, not to mention outrageous patina and a noticeable smile.

Of course there is always limited info on eBay so a few surprises when it arrived. First off, I normally either look for an end-on photo to know the grind, or else I ask the seller to clarify. But in this case I read “hollow ground” and just assumed that it must be at least half hollow. My first look told me that it was actually a near wedge. But then I realized that this was due to the combination of the Spanish point and the smile hiding most of the edge from view. The blade width is 0.71”. View attachment 1234086View attachment 1234087View attachment 1234088Combined with the clear hone wear at the spine, I guess is that it is a badly worn 6/8 1/2 hollow. That said, the bevel angle measures 16deg, which means that I should be able to turn this into a very nice shaver.

So one question to the group. Currently there seems to be very little rust, just a really deep patina. Any suggestions on what I can do to clean this up without wiping out the patina?
I have a Cattaraugus Military 225Q fixed blade that belonged to my dad or one of my uncles in need of restoration. I guess I need one of these to restore as well.

First trip to Japan. I bought this NOS Cape 1000 6/8 inch without Tanifuji stamp almost a month ago and sent it to @Doc226 for a bevel set/hone. Terrific razor and terrific edge. I would describe the grind as not quite full hollow (three quarter hollow?).

The razor has clearly suffered some rusting. I gave it a round of wet/dry sandpaper and steel wool. By no means pristine, but I am happy.

I am also happy to have an edge from @Doc226 to measure my edges against, and I learned that my Nakayama Asagi and Ozuku Koppas are no pushovers.

If you have thought at about taking a first trip to Japan, you can't go wrong with a Cape 1000 or 2000 (based on what I have read).

20210220_203034356_iOS.jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

Ok, so I’m new here and I see you guys post some really nice razors! After a Dovo 6/8 for my first SR, I’m going the opposite direction. I told myself I wouldn’t mess with Chinese stuff, but the price, reviews, and gold dollar modding contest made my curiousity to strong. A Red 81 that shaves great! Another 81 I made the water Buffalo scales for, and I forget the name but it looks like a w59 and they say it’s stainless, all I know is I stropped it and it floats arm hair off with zero tugging....for $16 bucks! I don’t intend to buy any more Chinese just on principal, but the bang for buck is off the charts!
image.jpg

just bought today
View attachment 1236665
View attachment 1236666
was listed as a thiers-issard but I knew better. doesn't look like the typical le grelot that's stamped on a TI blank. looking at blade profile looks like legit grelot to me. didnt ask about the scale material but would guess rams horn given the texture.

camo

Nice, glad you scored that one. There was a couple sweet looking frenchies going today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First trip to Japan. I bought this NOS Cape 1000 6/8 inch without Tanifuji stamp almost a month ago and sent it to @Doc226 for a bevel set/hone. Terrific razor and terrific edge. I would describe the grind as not quite full hollow (three quarter hollow?).

The razor has clearly suffered some rusting. I gave it a round of wet/dry sandpaper and steel wool. By no means pristine, but I am happy.

I am also happy to have an edge from @Doc226 to measure my edges against, and I learned that my Nakayama Asagi and Ozuku Koppas are no pushovers.

If you have thought at about taking a first trip to Japan, you can't go wrong with a Cape 1000 or 2000 (based on what I have read).

View attachment 1236578

View attachment 1236579
@Frank Shaves, @Doc226, I also have an edge from Alfredo and the stone he used to make it. I can come close, but no cigar. I have some very clean, unprocessed hair that I use for the HHT. And I can't sever that hair with my edges the way Alfredo's edge does. Again, close but no cigar. It's good to have goals.

that's unique in that it has the same blade stamp that I've seen on some Bengals I've been watching. unfortunately or fortunately, I've got a French razor illness right now.

camo

Take care of that French illness Camo, you know their are those here in the States trying to find evil in French stuff. Poor Peppy Le Pew... Maligned for being a true man's man ! @Eastcoast30 heads up as well.

that's unique in that it has the same blade stamp that I've seen on some Bengals I've been watching. unfortunately or fortunately, I've got a French razor illness right now.

camo
I think the Bengals may have been using the etching fraudulently, though who can be sure? I know Butler owned the Keen razor trademark, unless they were leasing the Mark out? Though that would dilute their brand. Mysterious for sure!

Take care of that French illness Camo, you know their are those here in the States trying to find evil in French stuff. Poor Peppy Le Pew... Maligned for being a true man's man ! @Eastcoast30 heads up as well.

fully aware. its okay to play GTA on a video game system raping and thieving...... but poor Monsieur Le Pew gets put on the block for some reason???

figures.

camo

It is a shame that the vendors have to put their name on these fine razors. AOS (TI), Fendrihan (Dovo & Ralf Aust), Shavenation (Boker), etc. I have never considered the option of removing the name as I figured that is was a lot of trouble and I have been worried that it would remove some of the metal as well.

I have heard of buyers obtaining the Thiers Isaard razors for beer money which seems almost criminal for both the buyer and seller.

Top Bottom