What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, crazy right??
Just a wild guess that was not a bargain purchase?? :D :D

Looks great, enjoy.

Boris!! Crazy yes and no I wish it was a bargain purchase

Oh my friggen good man!! That is plain sexy!!!

Thank you Dean!!!

You guys are killing me....im trying so hard not to increase my collection as i patiently wait for a new razor to arrive and you post stuff like this :a47:

Sorry Dean but it has to be done we are all in this boat to enable others, but I'm pleased that I am not as bad as Arne!!!....

Ian thanks for posting that MAN commercial....made me laugh .... MAN is one of our axle suppliers.

Well it was fitting and made me laugh I would so love to do that to Arne...:a30::a30::a30::001_tt2::001_tt2::001_tt2:

Alfredo just sent finished these scales for this NOS 7/8 F. Herder. I love how light horn scales get semi translucent when polished so well. I’ve several blades dressed in Doc’s scales and they’re all lovely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alfredo just sent finished these scales for this NOS 7/8 F. Herder. I love how light horn scales get semi translucent when polished so well. I’ve several blades dressed in Doc’s scales and they’re all lovely.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
7/8? Never seen that before. That is a broadsword, man! And so beautiful!

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Another Sheffield blast from the past. Jonathan Hunt Patent, a 6/8 Shoulderless wedge in horn with lead wedge. Hunt was in production from 1829-1837. Steel and scales are in very good shape for is age. Has a strange type of belly grind I never ran across before. It is very slight, can feel it and see the grind line.

C3FC6C36-C819-4EA9-8C46-2B2995ABE93B.jpeg
A6DF2C88-3AFA-448B-BAF2-942C05DDD69B.jpeg
C32B8A37-28F6-4A22-B19E-B1B4F479C5B2.jpeg

I recognize it. It's the hand you never want to see in a strip search room. The razor looks magnificent though.
That hand belongs to Alfredo. I wanted to make sure the bevel of this one was set perfectly. (The previous owner could have done a better job.) I think it's being finished up as I type.

Hello everyone, I just purchased my first straight razor; vintage 9/16 Genco Old Dutch. It’s on the way not but I’m posting the picture from the seller.

proxy.php

Just tried his edges for the first time, and I'm impressed, even with high expectations.

That razor looks great, just great, scales look very nice, slim and tight, clearly he knows what he's doing.

As my second purchase I seem to have acquired a bit of a beginners (I hope) restoration project.

The bevel on the front seems quite normal, but on the back side it's very narrow. It is a bit chipped, and I've included magnified (x60) images of the worst chips (by the toe), and of the difference in bevel width front and back.

The spine has a bit of uneven honing wear, but way less wear than my Heljestrand 24 in good condition.

The scale is missing a bit at the front, but has a good couple of millimeters to the pin hole.

Does this look like a 3/4 hollow?

And do you think a complete novice like me can get this baby to a reasonable state?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Hi guys,

I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure this guy out.
Hermes Solingen 0002.jpg
Hermes Solingen 0001.jpg

I read somewhere that it could be made by the company of Emil Hermes?

Thanks in advance guys,

Mawashi

I found a couple today that I thought was pretty cool. The first one is a John T. Saffa St. Louis, MO, that's all it says, no country of manufacture. It has been honed a bit but I don't think it's been hurt and the art work on the blade is still deep and crisp.

2019-03-18 18.46.49.jpg

The second one is my first Geneva Cutlery, an Army Navy. I was just admiring some other members pictures of Army Navy razors a couple of days ago. It needs to be cleaned up but I don't think it's been used much.

2019-03-18 19.01.11.jpg

2019-03-18 19.01.44.jpg

Top Bottom