What's new

Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Postman must have known it's my Birthday today....

Little package showed up with some spectacularly restored razors....thanks Karl!!

Mappin Bros Lancet, Joseph Elliot, and what Phranky B-Day would be complete without another Wade & Butcher.....
proxy.php

View attachment 818636
Happy Birthaday @Phrank, those are some beautiful razors.

My friend in Devon keeps his eyes open for me. As a result I bought five razors on Saturday. Here they are. I am especially pleased with the pair of "Sum Extra" razors in their box, and the Mappin & Webb Trustworthy in its original wooden box. And there are also the Wragg Napoleon and a very nice Bengall. One of the Sum Extras gave me a decent shave straight out of the box! That's a first!

Newton Abbot Purchases 09_17.jpg
Sum Extras.jpg
Mappin & Webb no 2 with box.jpg

C.

My friend in Devon keeps his eyes open for me. As a result I bought five razors on Saturday. Here they are. I am especially pleased with the pair of "Sum Extra" razors in their box, and the Mappin & Webb Trustworthy in its original wooden box. And there are also the Wragg Napoleon and a very nice Bengall. One of the Sum Extras gave me a decent shave straight out of the box! That's a first!

View attachment 818632 View attachment 818633 View attachment 818634

C.
Really nice @Cambouis, love those wooden boxes. Enjoy your razors

I picked this up yesterday. I know very little about straight razors and even less about vintage straights. I only paid $6 for it. It's a butcher and wade, the scales are roached. I don't see any rust on the blade, or pitting. I have used a shavette, and have been wanting to try a straight. Not sure if it can be salvaged. If not it's no big deal. Thanks for any help.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I picked this up yesterday. I know very little about straight razors and even less about vintage straights. I only paid $6 for it. It's a butcher and wade, the scales are roached. I don't see any rust on the blade, or pitting. I have used a shavette, and have been wanting to try a straight. Not sure if it can be salvaged. If not it's no big deal. Thanks for any help.
View attachment 818720

Absolutely that can be restored...

If I'm not mistaken, that looks like a fairly hard to find W&B tapered style razor...absolutely gorgeous, earlier manufacture IIRC....great find, never seen one with that stamp on it....that would be one I'd get professionally restored...here's an example of a tapered W&B:

proxy.php

Another example:

proxy.php

Thank you Phrank,I will get it restored professionally. I know I dont have the skills to do it myself. You can't see it in the pics I posted, but there is what looks like a floral pattern etched into the blade on the side that has hollow ground stamp. I will try to take a better pic of it and better pics of the whole razor.

Thank you Phrank,I will get it restored professionally. I know I dont have the skills to do it myself. You can't see it in the pics I posted, but there is what looks like a floral pattern etched into the blade on the side that has hollow ground stamp. I will try to take a better pic of it and better pics of the whole razor.
I would get ahold of mycarver or Doc226. They both do absolutely phenomenal work.

I don't know much about Filarmonica razors, but I'm pretty sure that this one is from the second generation which means that you've got yourself a very fine razor. Congratulations.
Thank you Arne, as I was researching FILARMONICA razors that's what I also came up with and for less than three digits I can't complain at all.

Top Bottom