What's new

Straight Drop or FBI Tilt

The discussions regarding IWB/OWB/Appendix etc. weapons carrying preferences are a somewhat frequent topic.
Along those lines is the issue of carry angle. Straight drop vs. FBI cant are most common. I suppose some people may like a muzzle forward position as well.
I vary depending on the pistol being carried. Any opinions?🧐
0E2943B4-2648-42D2-BF73-23BEDDA66A77.jpeg

I think in most cases a cant helps hide the corner of the butt, therefore I'm a fan.

I haven't carried AIWB but have been debating it. In that position it appears to me that a cant would be an ergonomic hindrance while not really contributing to concealment, but since I haven't tried it my opinion is only that. A slight negative cant might smooth the draw stroke from that position, again just a guess.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I think in most cases a cant helps hide the corner of the butt, therefore I'm a fan.

I haven't carried AIWB but have been debating it. In that position it appears to me that a cant would be an ergonomic hindrance while not really contributing to concealment, but since I haven't tried it my opinion is only that. A slight negative cant might smooth the draw stroke from that position, again just a guess.

I actually think you are bringing up an excellent discussion point Randy concerning AIWB. Like you, I don’t really ever carry aiwb because it just seemed uncomfortable. Especially with a straight drop because the tip of the holster near the muzzle seems to dig into my hip flexor when bending or sitting.

However, this is when it’s being carried in the normal AIWB position on the right front for right handed shooter. I have been experimenting lately, with a left front AIWB position for right handed draw but the holster is now canted at about 10 degrees backwards cant not forward can’t.

It’s not canted enough or positioned too far left to be considered a cross draw imo. It’s just on the left front side, just to the left of my belt buckle and front zipper. The barely 10 degree cant keeps the muzzle from digging and stabbing and cants the grip ever so slightly towards my right side for a great draw. Play around with it and see what you think. :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I usually carry at the 4:30 position, whether OWB or IWB. As mentioned, the forward cant aids in concealing the butt of the gun and aids in the draw if you have any limited shoulder mobility, as I do. But for non defensive range or field use, a straight drop holster at the 3:00 works great. I do have a couple of old competition holsters, one for a 1911, one for a 6 in.L frame S&W that are meant to be worn at the 3:00 or slightly forward, with a cutaway front and a rearward cant, muzzle forward. Those never really worked well for me.

Last edited:
It’s not canted enough or positioned too far left to be considered a cross draw imo. It’s just on the left front side, just to the left of my belt buckle and front zipper. The barely 10 degree cant keeps the muzzle from digging and stabbing and cants the grip ever so slightly towards my right side for a great draw. Play around with it and see what you think. :)

Are you using the soft clip on holster you pictured in the "true pocket carry" thread for this?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Are you using the soft clip on holster you pictured in the "true pocket carry" thread for this?

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

I am using the uncle mike's in experimenting, but the uncle mike's sraight clip won't allow it to stay canted for longer periods of time. But it shows me enough to know, that I can go ahead and invest in an AIWB holster which will allow an adjustable backwards cant. I think it may work well carrying it aiwb on the left side instead of the right for sitting, bending and even when driving.

OkieStubble

I usually carry at the 4:30 position, whether OWB or IWB. As mentioned, the forward cant aids in concealing the butt of the gun and aids in the draw if you have any limited shoulder mobility, as I do. But for non defensive range or field use, a straight drop holster at the 3:00 works great. I do have a couple of old competition holsters, one for a 1911, one for a 6 in.L frame S&W that are meant to be worn at the 3:00 or slightly forward, with a cutaway front and a rearward cant, muzzle forward. Those never really worked well for me.

Same for me. I have a leather OWB from Mitch Rosen for the G43X and it's a canted holster. The Uncle Mike's I use for my G19 for 4:30 is a designed straight drop, but it seems to also just naturally cant by itself for some reason.

I quite prefer a forward cant if I'm not shoulder carrying. I carry at the 4-4:30 as well, since I seem to have the most shirt 'flop' there.

In a perfect world, I wouldn't need to carry at all. In a slightly less perfect world, I would carry in a drop holster, no cant. However, since we live in a much less than perfect world, I don't want the bad guys to know I am carrying, so I carry OWB concealed with about a 15 degree cant.

Fortunately, I can cant.

Forward cant for my holsters, but for my draw, I'm thinking that a straight drop would be better. I might even be able to carry concealed since I don't carry a large gun.

For my large frame carry weapons, I carry straight drop otb at the 3 o'clock position. Usually with a flannel or garment covering everything.

When I carry a medium/small frame item, I carry IWB at the 4 o'clock position with a slight forward cant.

I've never carried appendix IWB. I think that it would be uncomfortable driving or sitting.

Cant

Easier to draw and less conspicuous when carrying concealed.

Never tried appendix and don't plan on trying it either.

Top Bottom