What's new

Straight Convert

I started shaving with a straight back in October. After about a month in, I don't think the DE's will get much use!

I have a 5/8 Full Hollow Dovo. What are some recommends for a second razor?

There are nearly as many answers to that question as there are stars in the sky.

Probably best to start shopping around to see what's out there and whether or not anything tweaks yer fancy.

I would maybe look into a slightly larger razor (maybe 6/8" or 13/16") with a slightly heavier grind just to give you some variety. But maybe thats just me.

You can get a great shave with pretty much any (reasonable) razor if properly honed so my advice is to just look around for something that captures your fancy.
And since your Dovo is full hollow, you might want to look at something different, more wedgy. And maybe a French or a British to contrast with the German.

$image.jpg

I started about the same time and I have 7 razors now. A little RAD to start, but I am getting back 5 of my babies from being honed today and feel I should be set for a bit. No to work on getting film setup for honing. For xmas I may get a bevel setting stone and next grit, but I will finish with film. I will know more about my razors after shaving with them within this week. I am so stoked. I also have a Tony Miller Strop coming in today. So much good news and deliveries in one day.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
My plan re-entering straight razor use after many years is to try cheaper razors of different sizes and shapes to determine what attributes (point and shoulder style, blade width and length) I like, only paying more for razors that I already know I'll like. Surprising to me, the shape and style of the tang makes as much difference as anything. That's been working pretty well, the ones I'm not crazy about or aren't in such good cosmetic shape are used to test hones and honing techniques.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The Revisor site has a tremendous variety and some of the prices are not bad. You should try a nice vintage, too. The Dovo Bismarck is a sweet razor. Do try something shoulderless, especially if you think you might start honing your own razors.

Cool! Thanks for all the tips! I saw a wade and butcher at a local antique shop that has me thinking!

I think you probably found your second razor. I agree with the other posters who are suggesting larger razors. It's also nice to have something like a Gold Dollar that you can experiment with IMO.

Top Bottom