What's new

Stone comparison needed

Naniwa is finer than the shapton, but it will be personal preference. I would also get an Ark for the end of your progression.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Remember, the Shaption Pro Japan 12k is the same as the Shapton Pro 15k USA.

The Shapton Kuromaku (the Shapton Japanese Pros) are made in a number of grits - 120, 220, 320, 1500, 2000, 5000, 8000, 12000, and 30000; at least these - link.

I'm curious about how the various synthetic stones correspond in grit in terms of some standardized measure. I understand there are various grit rating scales and several ways of looking at how they compare, etc.

Mostly I'm interested in using the stones to achieve what I want, the same thing we all want, the perfect blend of a super keen, super sharp and comfortable, smooth edge. I figure a good bit of what I need to know is obtained only by experience honing, and I'm doing that. I'm also sure there's a point of diminishing returns on data and book learning knowledge, but I'm far from that I think.

The only two Kuromaku stones I have are the 5K and the 12K. My complete stone kit is small and a hodgepodge, but I'm making progress with it (finally).
  • 1K (Naniwa New Chosera)
  • 3K (Naniwa S2 Super Stone)
  • 5K (Shapton Kuromaku Ceramic Waterstone)
  • 8K (Steelex Deluxe Japanese Ceramic Waterstone)
  • 12K (Shapton Kuromaku Ceramic Waterstone)
  • Arkansas Hard Black finishing stone
  • Zulu Grey finishing stone
I considering a coarser grit stone to remove chips and such and for fixing up eBay Specials.

Since this thread is about comparing stones I figure it's a good place to ask how the various synthetic stones compare (in the context of what's already been mentioned about the Shapton US and Japanese Pro stones). I certainly don't want though to limit the answers in any way.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom