What's new

Stone comparison needed

Anyone ever use a a 12k shapton and 12k naniwa?

How do there smoothness and cut lines compare?

Looking to pull the trigger on a finishing stone and these two are the ones I’ve been eyeing.

Thanks folks!

I've only used the Naniwa, but it was very nice. I sold it off when I got into natural finishers, the Escher and Hard Arkansas are now my new favorites. Neither are cheaper than a Naniwa, well maybe the arks. Good luck to you sir!

I believe Naniwa uses the JIS grit rating system and Shapton uses the US mesh system. Therefore the Naniwa 12k would more readily compare to a Shapton 16k. I primarily sharpen on Jnats so I have little knowledge on how the two feel which is honestly the most important part of a stone.

I've only used the Naniwa, but it was very nice. I sold it off when I got into natural finishers, the Escher and Hard Arkansas are now my new favorites. Neither are cheaper than a Naniwa, well maybe the arks. Good luck to you sir!
Guess O have a couple other stones to look at!

Thanks

I believe Naniwa uses the JIS grit rating system and Shapton uses the US mesh system. Therefore the Naniwa 12k would more readily compare to a Shapton 16k. I primarily sharpen on Jnats so I have little knowledge on how the two feel which is honestly the most important part of a stone.
This is what ive been using on my kitchen knives.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...t=&hvlocphy=9006252&hvtargid=kwd-307313967731

Guess I would need the next step up for a finishing stone then. I enjoy using the waterstones a lot and was kinda hoping to keep using them up through the progress.

I own a Naniwa 12k and have finished on a Shapton Pro 12k. IME the Shapton left a harsher more surgical feeling edge.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...t=&hvlocphy=9006252&hvtargid=kwd-307313967731

Guess I would need the next step up for a finishing stone then. I enjoy using the waterstones a lot and was kinda hoping to keep using them up through the progress.
From long term use of a King 1K, I cannot advise it as a bevel setter for straight razors, though its qualities cannot be understated if used as a building material for a house(it's like using a soft brick to hone on)..... The day I picked up a Naniwa 1K super stone was the day I threw my King 1K in the trash.... Water stones are great! Shapton and Naniwa, you cant go wrong with them!

I don't own a Shapton 12K but I do own the Shapton 10K and 16K GS and I also own the Naniwa 12K SS. If I was going to own just one of these to finish a synthetic progression it would be the Naniwa 12K

A King 1k/6k combo is fine for razors. I would suggest trying to get the best shaving edge you can off the 6k before moving to another stone. After this has been achieved, I would be inclined to switch to a natural. Maybe a coticule bout to keep costs down, or jumping straight from the 6k synth to a cheap purple Welsh slate.

I'm a coticule man myself but of the 2 you are choosing from I would go with the Naniwa.
@Luecke2326 mentioned the Arky for a finisher and I have one also and love it but they are not ready to use for razors right out of the box.

A King 1k/6k combo is fine for razors. I would suggest trying to get the best shaving edge you can off the 6k before moving to another stone. After this has been achieved, I would be inclined to switch to a natural. Maybe a coticule bout to keep costs down, or jumping straight from the 6k synth to a cheap purple Welsh slate.
This is very good advice

I have both a Naniwa 12k and a Shapton 16K. While both can produce keen edges, if you overhone on either of them, the edge can become harsh, especially on some steels that tend to microchip. So limit your laps. To minimize harshness, I use pasted strops after honing to polish out any rough spots. I tend to use Cubic Boron Nitrite in 0.5, 0.25 and 0.125 micron sizes, but other abrasives can be used: chromium oxide, cerium oxide, ferrous oxide, and either monocrystaline or polycrystaline diamond. Diamond is an aggressive abrasive, so if you use it, you need to limit the number of laps; that is why I have chosen to use CBN.

The Naniwa 12k is marginally 'finer' than the Shapton Pro 12k. Very marginally so. I don't know that it would be possible to objectively say that it would be a 'felt' difference if all else was absolutely equal. Remember, the Shaption Pro Japan 12k is the same as the Shapton Pro 15k USA. Comparing feel - The Nani feels a bit softer, and a bit less 'stone like' than the Shapton.

The King 1k brick works well and there is nothing else in that price range. But almost any other known 1k will make your life easier; the Super Stone 1k is slow and soft, not my favorite but it's light years nicer than the King.

Personally, I was not impressed with Kings 8k, so I don't see shaving off their 6k as being some kind of master plan.
To each their own though..

Batck on topic though - The Shapton and the Naniwa 12k are both excellent contenders for that slot in a synthetic progression. I would not go from 8k synth to Ark, so the Ark is not, to me, a substitute for a 12k. Arks certainly can be formidable finishers but, IMO, they do much better when set up with an edge that is notably post 8k. 12k, Escher, Ark was a 'thing' for me for a long while.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The Naniwa 12k is marginally 'finer' than the Shapton Pro 12k. Very marginally so. I don't know that it would be possible to objectively say that it would be a 'felt' difference if all else was absolutely equal. Remember, the Shaption Pro Japan 12k is the same as the Shapton Pro 15k USA. Comparing feel - The Nani feels a bit softer, and a bit less 'stone like' than the Shapton.

The King 1k brick works well and there is nothing else in that price range. But almost any other known 1k will make your life easier; the Super Stone 1k is slow and soft, not my favorite but it's light years nicer than the King.

Personally, I was not impressed with Kings 8k, so I don't see shaving off their 6k as being some kind of master plan.
To each their own though..

Batck on topic though - The Shapton and the Naniwa 12k are both excellent contenders for that slot in a synthetic progression. I would not go from 8k synth to Ark, so the Ark is not, to me, a substitute for a 12k. Arks certainly can be formidable finishers but, IMO, they do much better when set up with an edge that is notably post 8k. 12k, Escher, Ark was a 'thing' for me for a long while.

Very interesting post. I had no idea that the Shapton 12K Kuromaku was the same as the Shapton Pro 15K. Makes me even more glad I purchased the 12K Kuromaku (and it does feel "stone like" to me as well; not a bad thing).

I don't know if the post helps the OP but it helps me in several ways. Thanks, Keith.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Recently came across a purveyor of Arkansas hones. Jonathan Coe. Very interesting guy to talk with.
Jarrod at TSS is using two Coe stones as finishers. Guess he is having good luck with them; he has them set up for convex use it seems though. Not my style. I’ll stay old school.
Anyway, anyone here tried the Coe rocks?

Top Bottom