What's new

Stetson Original

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The woman's cologne Tabu is virtually identical, so the unisex association is not far from the truth. It's a fougere which at one time was a unisex fragrance.

Men have always worn floral fragrances and cowboys most certainly would have as they were generally less expensive. In fact, some of the men's fragrances highest rated by women, like Creed's Green Irish Tweed or Geoffrey Beene's Grey Flannel, are highly floral.

Marlboro cigarettes were originally marketed as a ladies cigarette. The switch to cowboys happened later.

I'm sure that the fragrance base of many colognes have migrated back and forth between male and female, depending on who the corporation selling the scent felt they could best target.

It's all about the marketing.

If the scent complements your body chemistry, would it matter?

Just my opinion and YMMV. :)

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've got a "gender neutral" scent from Avon that was I THINK marketed as such way back in the 70's? I think. Can't remember the name.

Not my favorite. I should use it as an odor neutralizer in the bathroom!

Found this vintage gem a few years ago.. Love the scent but my gf's dad has been wearing it for years.. only can wear when she's not around hehe..

June2017 079.JPG

I found a very small bottle of Stetson in my end table drawer that I've probably had since the 80's. I dabbed some on and almost choked. I guess it went rancid. I won't buy anymore though. I used to wear Drakar Noir all the time. Then a bottle leaked into a suitcase on a trip and the mere scent of it made my wife and I sick. So I didn't get anymore. Then we were talking the other day and she said that she likes it. I'm getting some more.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I found a very small bottle of Stetson in my end table drawer that I've probably had since the 80's. I dabbed some on and almost choked. I guess it went rancid. I won't buy anymore though. I used to wear Drakar Noir all the time. Then a bottle leaked into a suitcase on a trip and the mere scent of it made my wife and I sick. So I didn't get anymore. Then we were talking the other day and she said that she likes it. I'm getting some more.
If my wife liked anything I wore as a cologne I'd be amazed, lol. She's just not that into scents.

Unless I get too "ripe", lol! Then she has an opinion. But usually it's just soap smell. But I'm blessed. There are women that wear scents that almost make me nauseous, and she only wears one, and it's cheap, and I love it on her. Of course, she might use it twice a month, so I can't buy her anymore as a gift, since she has a lifetime supply!

Y'all should be so lucky!!!

I love the stuff! It's this time of year that I buy one of really large bottles, 8 or 10 ounces if I recall, and it last all year since I have a other aftershaves in rotation.

I’ve never had the original Stetson, but I did pick up the Stetson cooling moisture.
It is one of the only a/s I don’t particularly care for. Although, if you live in a hot, dry
climate, it would probably be nice. Cooling for the heat, moisturizing for the dryness.
Also, scents tend to dissipate faster in low humidity, which is why it seems so strong.
That’s why it was advertised with a cowboy/western theme.( like ‘Stetson’ cowboy hats)
Cowboys are out in the desert, where it’s hot and dry.

Top Bottom