What's new

Starting to like sharper blades after your technique progress...

I am starting to like sharper blades more and more,as my technique probably improves and start to find astra sp little dull.....any similar experiences?I got very good shave with astra sp,but gilette silver blue shaves me better,and also astra ss feels sharper....im not getting any cuts or nicks,will try feather,have 3 packs left.

I don't know that I like sharper blades better now that I'm more seasoned, but I am able to enjoy them far more. There are times I still want something like an Astral SP over a Gillette 7 O'Clock but when I'm jonesing for a close and efficient shave I'm not worried to reach for my sharper blades.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I am starting to like sharper blades more and more,as my technique probably improves and start to find astra sp little dull.....any similar experiences?I got very good shave with astra sp,but gilette silver blue shaves me better,and also astra ss feels sharper....im not getting any cuts or nicks,will try feather,have 3 packs left.
Technique is #1 for good shaving no doubt in my mind. There are few other good habits that help also in shaving like Pre-shave preparation and beard mapping..........

I can handle and enjoy sharper blades now that my technique has improved. I tried a Feather before my technique was good and it was a disaster. I left the alone for a few months and concentrated on my technique. Now I can use them with no issue. Technique trumps everything for me.

I get pretty good to excellent shaves with almost any blade and razor,just like some more than others.Will try feather again few times,havent used it in a while ...

I am starting to like sharper blades more and more,as my technique probably improves and start to find astra sp little dull.....any similar experiences?I got very good shave with astra sp,but gilette silver blue shaves me better,and also astra ss feels sharper....im not getting any cuts or nicks,...
I find GSBs just a little up on the Astra SP including smoothness. I would not say the Astra blade is dull though. The GSBs delivers a lot more shaves but they cost 50% more which cannot be related to manufacturing cost; supply and demand I guess.
Cuts and nicks are more associated with technique and it is not a blade problem.

Gsb is smoother and sharper than astra,but i still like astra ss,and sp too,pretty good blades.I just feel astras losing sharpness sooner than gsb,nacet or some other blades.

My top-tier blades have four characteristics:
Sharp
Smooth
Comfortable, and
Long-lasting

Sharpness alone won’t guarantee that a blade is in my top-tier (looking at you Feather).

In contrast, a smooth, comfortable, long-lasting blade may be top-tier even if it isn’t the sharpest (for example the Personna red that delivered a very fine shave today on day 6)!

Just my $0.02!! :a29: :a29:

I have been exclusively DE shaving since 1980 and I never understood the "sharpness" thing.
First of all a blade that is "sharp" for me might not be "sharp" for you.
Secondly I prefer a blade that gives me a fast,smooth shave than a "sharp" blade that isn't smooth.
I do a daily four pass ,five minute shave anyhow so BBS is guaranteed no matter what I use :)
Never liked Feathers for that reason since for ME they aren't smooth bur harsh.
My favourite blade in my forty years of DE shaving is the Shark SS.
Super smooth and extremely close shaves day in day out.

Yep. I was a fast learner and it took about a month to get the hang of DE shaving to the point that I never even got weepers. Once there I went through my sample pack, found I really like the sharper blades in my Tech.

BiC are my jam. I cycle a blade of 7:00 green, then a Shark to keep me grounded, then back to BiC.

I have really started liking the Gillette yellow in 3 piece razors. I hated them in Fatboy and superspeeds.

Top Bottom