What's new

Starting a fire

On the straight razor forum (thread: "Reached the Level of Self-Sufficiency!"; http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191924), user onotoman stated that he felt that his first good shave with a vintage straight was "a little like early man starting a fire from a few sticks and a flint and cooking a meal."

Okay, so how many of you have actually managed to start a fire the old-fashioned way - with some sticks and a flint or some such method as that? Or just rubbing two sticks together (no flint)?

I learned to start a fire the old way in scouts and again in survival training now a days I start a fire with a lighter.

I usually use a ferro rod.

I do want to work up to making a friction fire, just haven't had the time to get outside and do it. I'm going camping in a few weeks, I may try it then.

For BBQ I use a mapp gas tank to start the fire:lol: .

I have started fires with a flint and steel as well as with a bow.

One of my favorite tricks was to remote start a bonfire with steel wool and a battery.

When I was in the Boy Scouts I learned how to make one the old way but my troop was weird, we usually stole someone's sock soaked it in Off the bug spray and lit it with a lighter and there you go.:lol::lol::lol:

Back then:
proxy.php

Now:

proxy.php

I have used both the flint and steel method along with rubbing two sticks for fire starting just to say that I can do it.

And I have also handled a flame thrower once. Awesome to fire, heavy to carry.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
For BBQ I use a mapp gas tank to start the fire:lol: .

I have started fires with a flint and steel as well as with a bow.

One of my favorite tricks was to remote start a bonfire with steel wool and a battery.

It isn't exactly primitive, but it sure is fun to watch.

Last edited:
I paid my dues in Boy Scouts, but I came to believe that our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have used waterproof matches, a magnesium fire starter, or a lighter if they had a chance. Out of some unreasonable fear of being stranded, I usually keep some combination of those in my bag and in my car.

i have a flint/magnesium stick that i mostly play with on my desk when the wife isn't looking. :lol: i haven't actually tried to go out and start a fire with it.

ever since i saw the fire piston on survivorman several years ago i've wanted to try one.

some day i'm going to try rubbing some sticks, but i'm going to probably have to be pretty desperate. i think bear grylls' fire-saw method looked a little more reasonable.

Every fire I start in the fireplace, daily in the month or so of winter we have, I start with flint and steel, just to keep my hand in. It's surprisingly easy indoors in a controlled environment with a little practice. Not so easy outside, in pitch dark, when it's raining, cold, and windy, shaking uncontrollably from hypothermia, and not having tried it before.

I used to work as a costume interpreter at a historical park. I did daily demonstrations with the flint and steel. some days when it was hot and dry, it was easy,

other days when it was damp, a little harder.

My friend and I take tree branches from the park and use them to build fires in his backyard (I hope that's legal), which we've used to cook noodles, bolognese, and steaks. So far we've always used flints to light the tinder, but I'm keen to try it with a fire bow some time.

Over the years I have used
• a ferro rod
• a flint and steel
• a magnifying glass
• steel wool and a battery
• a magnesium fire starter
• a match

Top Bottom