What's new

Starter fountain pen

I recommend (and use daily) a Lamy Safari. The price is right, it performs great for my needs and it looks cool. Be sure to pick up a converter if decide to try one, as the converter allows you to refill the pen with whatever ink you wish. The ink can be a lot of fun.

I don't want to spend more than $50 for my first pen. I've been writing with a cross century and would like to make the leap to the fountain pen

Lamy Safari (as mentioned above) is a good sub $50 pen. Also look out the TWSBI pens.. they run around 40 and are able to be fully broken down for cleaning. Either should get you into the FP world without a huge investment.

I picked up a TWSBI pen at Shawn's suggestion and I really like it.

Writes great and is a perfect large without being huge. Very smooth nib.

I've been on the fence about a TWSBI for a few months now. I might just have to take the plunge!

My starter fountain pen was a Lamy Safari. I absolutely love it. You can buy different nibs for it, so you can choose how thick you want your writing to be. It is an inexpensive pen.

Same here. The thing I like about the Lamy is at the tip it's contoured so your fingers are in the proper position for the pen.

Unlike ballpoints there is a proper technique needed to use a fountain pen effectively. I found this very helpful when I started. Now that my technique has been established I've moved onto other NON contoured pens with no problems.

I'm glad you like it. What size nib did you get?

I like that it's a no nonsense demonstrator, built to last a long time. I have carried mine in my front pants pocket since March and it still looks great.

I am waiting for the vacuum filler to come out.

I've been on the fence about a TWSBI for a few months now. I might just have to take the plunge!

Do it. This pen see's more use then my nice pens. It writes circles around my Lamy.

I'm not a fountain pen connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. I have three Waterman Phileas pens that I received for presents over the years. I've never had any problems and they are very reliable. The oldest must be about twenty years old and the newest about ten. I have used them inconsistently, but those are the only pens I've written with for the last year or so and I'm very happy with them.

I'm glad you like it. What size nib did you get?

I like that it's a no nonsense demonstrator, built to last a long time. I have carried mine in my front pants pocket since March and it still looks great.

I am waiting for the vacuum filler to come out.

Do it. This pen see's more use then my nice pens. It writes circles around my Lamy.

Shawn, I got the Fine nib. I want to try the very fine as well.

Here is a link if anyone is looking for it.

I am testing the new, soon to be announced B&B ink in the pen now and it works wonderfully.

Dang! That's a fast turnaround for Nathan. He usually takes his time on stuff, which is completely understandable. He's a one-man operation making all of those inks more or less by hand and dealing with the flex pens on top of that. I'm impressed!

The TWSBI pen looks very cool. I might have to get one as an office pen to use with the new B&B ink. :lol:

I carry a Rotring Initial fountain pen. I commute by bike, here in Madison, 5 miles each way and it rides in my pannier everyday. I've had it for at least 6 years now. I fly for business with it once a month or so. I've never had it leak. You can find them for $40ish now.

...and appologies to the OP for a partial hijacking of this thread. To add my 2c on the original question:

I have no experience with a TWSBI but use and love many others. For a starter, you cannot go wrong with a Lamy (Safari or my preference, Al-Star). Only thing to keep in ming, IMHO, is that the Lamy nibs tend to be on the wide side of what they are marked as. I prefer a F nib but use an EF in my Lamy.

As others have mentioned, FPN is a graet resource for all Fountain Pen information.

A scan would be wonderful :w00t:

Keep your shirt on and keep a eye out for the announcement soon I hope...(but don't hold me to it.)

For the OP. Hero's are some decent pen's the only problem is quality control. As you move into this slippery slope of FP's remember 1 thing....Vintage Parker "51"

Top Bottom