What's new

Starter fountain pen

Just want to get some recommendations for a beginner fountain pen. I've been on some sites and there not very helpful. I also don't want to spend $400 on a Mont Blanc.

Thanks

The regrettable thing is that like all fine gentlemanly pursuits, fountain pens have a million and one variables, just like watches, clothes, shaving equipment and motor-cars.

Good penmakers that make nice, mid-range pens include...

LAMY.
Parker.
Waterman.
Sheaffer.

There's also Conway Stewart (although I'm not familiar with their modern lineup).

There's also an endless list of cheap fountain pens out there made in China and Japan.

It depends. What are you after? What are you looking for in a good fountain pen? Ask more questions and you'll get more answers.

Take a look at the TWSBI line of fountain pens. They run circles around both of my Lamy's and it isn't even a fair comparison to the Chinese pens I've had.

What do you want to spend?
There are pens that write well from $5.00 to well over $500.00.
Chinese Hero pens are hit and miss but I have a 616 (copy of the Parker 51) that does really well.
Vintage Parker 51 and 21 are nice and can be had restored for anywhere from $50-150.
The Noodler's piston fill pens are ok for $15.
The pen that is best for you is the pen that is best for you. Similar to a razor. There are many models and brands out there. You will have to try and experiment to find "your" pen.

I don't want to spend more than $50 for my first pen. I've been writing with a cross century and would like to make the leap to the fountain pen

Everyone feels as if their favorite is the only pen you should try *ugh* Here are my thoughts.

Pens vary so there is no one best pen. The best way to get started is to find a pen store and try out a different number of pens before you purchase. Most decent stores will let you wet a nib and try writing a bit in an effort to find the perfect pen FOR YOU. Some pens write "wet" and others "dry". You have to find out which style you like. Here is a list of pens to try.

1. Pilot Vanishing Point - Probably one of the best all around every day writers.
2. Waterman - Excellent pens with a variety of prices and styles.
3. Pelikan - Excellent pens although not a lot of variety in styles.
4. Lamy - Some nice pens at a decent price.
5. Chinese pens - Hero, Jinhao and the rest are generally sub $50 and good writers but the quality of workmanship is all over the place. When the pen is only $12.00 you don't mind tossing it and getting another.
6. Parker 51, 100 and Flighter - Great pens but they are also like really really old which means you have to be careful about purchasing one as they may require more care and you might not be able to use all inks in them.
7. Pilot - Some interesting pens like the Vanishing Point and M90.

Here is a list of my rotation at the office:

1. Waterman Le Man 100
2. Pilot Vanishing Point
3. Pilot M90
4. Parker 51
5. Waterman Carene
6. Nakaya Piccolo

Since you are in New York I would strongly suggest going by the Fountain Pen Hospital and looking over their vast offerings and sampling as many as you can.

Last edited:
I don't want to spend more than $50 for my first pen. I've been writing with a cross century and would like to make the leap to the fountain pen

You can get a Jinhao X450 for under $10 and they write very smoothly. Then snag a nice bottle or two of Noodler's ink. :thumbup1:

My starter fountain pen was a Lamy Safari. I absolutely love it. You can buy different nibs for it, so you can choose how thick you want your writing to be. It is an inexpensive pen.

I've read some shining review on the Kaigelu 316. Anyone here have experience with one? I'm thinking of getting one of those for my entry into the FP world. Then I just gotta figure out what ink I want to get. It's like trying to find the perfect DE blade before you've even got your first DE razor in hand.:001_rolle

I've read some shining review on the Kaigelu 316. Anyone here have experience with one? I'm thinking of getting one of those for my entry into the FP world. Then I just gotta figure out what ink I want to get. It's like trying to find the perfect DE blade before you've even got your first DE razor in hand.:001_rolle

I have this pen and its a ridiculous deal for what you get. The Only ink to get is the soon to be released B&B ink of course.

full

full

full

I think I paid 35.00 for it.:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a Waterman fountain pen for about $30.00 15 years ago from local office supply company. Still use it everyday.

Great thread. I've always wanted to get a fountain as well, but never knew where to start. I like the Vanishing Point design, but I might just grab a Lamy Safari to start.

Can a pen like the Kaigelu 316 use different nibs? I think I would prefer a more fine nib. What about inks? The attractive thing about the Safari for me, was that it seemed like I could try some different nibs and inks with the converter. If I remember correctly, they were also relatively easy to find on the old 'net. Heck Amazon had the pen in different nibs and the ink adapter. It is just not the most impressive looking thing in the world.

I believe the Kaigelu comes in different nib sizes, but not sure how easy it is to change out in the pen.

As to inks, I love Noodler's inks. They have a tremendous variety of colors to choose from.

Oh, and Jim you just enabled my KAD. :lol:

Legion

Staff member
If $50 is your limit get yourself a Hero 100. You can get the flighter version (All stainless steel) for about $35, and IMO is about the best value fountain pen you can get. 14k gold nib, fine wet line, well built. I have several Parker 51's (the pen that this is based on) but I still use the Hero as my "go to" pen that sits on my desk.

proxy.php

Top Bottom