What's new

Star Razor Model 100

$images.jpg Before I start, I would like to Thank TobyC for his A-1 thread on the Star Razor.! The Star Razor was Gifted to me by a Great Gentleman whom wishes to remain anonymous. The weight of the entire razor is 58.1 gm, the head is 19.1 gm & the handle is 39 gm. My postal scale could off some though. This Razor was made sometime in the 40's to the 50's as far as I know. The design & Engineering put into this Razor is awesome IMO. The handle knurling is excellent for a no slip grip & you could probably put axle grease on the handle & it would not slip while using it but, please don't try this. :w00t: It has notched pins for blade stability. Its a mild Razor & It seems more mild than my Original Gillette Tech Razor. I have used the following blades for a DFS: Astra SP, GSB, Feather & Polsilver Iridium. No nicks with any of these blades.! I only wish they would make the Star Razor today as its the best I have tried for my medium beard type.:thumbup:

View attachment 681841 Before I start, I would like to Thank TobyC for his A-1 thread on the Star Razor.! The Star Razor was Gifted to me by a Great Gentleman whom wishes to remain anonymous. The weight of the entire razor is 58.1 gm, the head is 19.1 gm & the handle is 39 gm. My postal scale could off some though. This Razor was made sometime in the 40's to the 50's as far as I know. The design & Engineering put into this Razor is awesome IMO. The handle knurling is excellent for a no slip grip & you could probably put axle grease on the handle & it would not slip while using it but, please don't try this. :w00t: It has notched pins for blade stability. Its a mild Razor & It seems more mild than my Original Gillette Tech Razor. I have used the following blades for a DFS: Astra SP, GSB, Feather & Polsilver Iridium. No nicks with any of these blades.! I only wish they would make the Star Razor today as its the best I have tried for my medium beard type.:thumbup:

You are most welcome my friend! :thumbup1:

Very nice razor, and very generous gift, congrats bubba! :thumbup:

By coincidence, I shaved with my golden Star 100 DE razor this morning. I have a coarse beard, so I loaded the Star with a Feather blade. To pump up the aggression further, I loosened the handle 1/16 of a turn, a procedure Gillette recommended with its Old Type razors in the early 1900's. Very nice shave. The Star 100 is a much superior razor to its peer, the Gillette Tech. The Star was made circa 1946 to 1959.

I believe the Star 100 is the most underrated and underappreciated razor in the world of safety razors.

Hi,

If you are going to shave using grease, I would suggest using John Deere Corn Head grease. Sits like a grease until under pressure or motion, then flows like an oil. Axle Grease is way too stiff and sticky for shaving with. :p

Stan

Thanks for all the great replies guys.! The Star Razor has been under the Radar way too long & not many people are aware it exists.

The Star 100 is on my Top Ten list of non-Gillette vintage DEs. It is a great razor; very comfortable and efficient. It equals the Tech in comfort, but is a little more efficient for me so I prefer it. It also came with a hex handle, which is quite nice as well.
proxy.php

The Star 100 is on my Top Ten list of non-Gillette vintage DEs. It is a great razor; very comfortable and efficient. It equals the Tech in comfort, but is a little more efficient for me so I prefer it. It also came with a hex handle, which is quite nice as well.
proxy.php

Mine has the hex handle as well, and I prefer it over the fat one. I have similar handles on my SE razors and being solid brass they have just the right weight and balance. Perfect!

$STAR (5).jpg

$STAR (6).jpg

That Hex handle is awesome looking.! Is it Brass or Aluminum.? I can shave with either one but, just curious. Thanks

That Hex handle is awesome looking.! Is it Brass or Aluminum.? I can shave with either one but, just curious. Thanks
It is solid brass. As TobyC noted, this same basic handle was also used by American Safety Razor Company (the manufacturer of Star, Ever Ready and Gem SE razors, as well as the Star DE) on several different SE razors. It's a really nice design. As good as the Star's round knurled version handle is, I actually like the hex handle a little better.

It is solid brass. As TobyC noted, this same basic handle was also used by American Safety Razor Company (the manufacturer of Star, Ever Ready and Gem SE razors, as well as the Star DE) on several different SE razors. It's a really nice design. As good as the Star's round knurled version handle is, I actually like the hex handle a little better.

:thumbup1:

Top Bottom