What's new

Stainless Lupo

Not so fast there my wet shaving compadre. Charcoal Goods used to supply IB with their handles not that long ago. Once CG picked up their business, they couldn't keep up the demand of their own and provide handles to an outside vendor. They stopped supplying IB because they could not do it anymore. So, IB started producing their own. No patents on handles or copywriting infringements in producing clones of handles.

Free enterprise and Capitalism. If you really want to bite into something, look at the Big 3 Automakers in North America. They've been copying each other for over a century. A Century over Billions of $$$...... Think about that for a minute. Done? What IB is doing is a spec of sand in the grand scheme of business practices and many would argue and say it's perfectly fine.

You make it seem as though IB broke a code of honor, they've broken an ethical rule of gentlemanly restraint as artisan razor producers/manufacturers. Bottom line, they're in business to be in business. I see nothing wrong in IB's or anyone else that goes down that route.

Again, that's just me.....

I was just going to raise this point, but you said it better than I would have.

@GlazedBoker and @Zen Shaver You are also correct and I have no issue with your opinions. We all agree that there is "inspiration" and copying from the vintages as those razors from 60+ years ago are the standards which have been improved upon but those companies are no longer in business or do not produce razors for DE shaving. As I stated earlier "it may be legal and allowable but I do not think it is right or ethical" which is what bothers me. It is, of course, a business decision and it is not copyright infringement or illegal in any way - it's just not "gentlemanly" like you correctly pointed out.

And as far as the Big 3 Automakers that is a whole other mess ...

@GlazedBoker and @Zen Shaver You are also correct and I have no issue with your opinions. We all agree that there is "inspiration" and copying from the vintages as those razors from 60+ years ago are the standards which have been improved upon but those companies are no longer in business or do not produce razors for DE shaving. As I stated earlier "it may be legal and allowable but I do not think it is right or ethical" which is what bothers me. It is, of course, a business decision and it is not copyright infringement or illegal in any way - it's just not "gentlemanly" like you correctly pointed out.

And as far as the Big 3 Automakers that is a whole other mess ...

Completely understand your point of view. But, I’m afraid that we’ll just have to agree to disagree my shaving friend. No harm in that my good man.

Good shaves to you amigo......

It's a free market out there. I think it's great that IB provides quality products to those who want to try out premium designs. Not everyone is going to have the chance to try a Wolfman or Charcoal Goods but IB provides an alternative. It's probably not as good as the real deal but it's another option.

I do not see that at all no Merkur razor holds the blade like a Timeless. Just my opinion
You'd be right. The lather channels give a superficial impression of similarity but blade clamping and geometry are completely different.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I knew that new IB shaving bowl looks familiar - it's a copy of Captain's Choice. It is one thing to "be inspired by" or getting an licensing agreement or co-creating a product but this seems to be IBs choice or plan. Now they are copying another artisan shave product. I thought much higher of Italian Barber when they had their "signature" halo handles and smooth innovative razors like Baby Smooth, Mamba & GC but now I will reconsider any further patronage. Yes this is my choice and others can do as they feel comfortable.

Don't get me wrong as there are other copy-cat vendors out there pushing their products but it's a very unfortunate set of business ethics in my opinion.

I also find it unethical to copy an existing brand like RR/IB did to not only Charcoal Goods and Wolfman but now I see they copied Captains Choice shaving bowl.
No thanks I’ll not be buying from them any longer.
I haven't bought anything from them in quite some time because of Joe's business ethics or lack of them I should put it!! I have never held a WM razor in my hands and from pics I just don't see where the GC or the Lupo resembles anything of James's but I have owned a CC shave bowl and that is an exact duplicate rip off they are offering and that is IMO, a direct FU to the Captain himself and think everyone should boycott IB from here on out!!

Cant speak to the dynamics of a relationship between two individuals who know one another. But the fact is, the RR will never command the same prices as the CG and those wanting a CG won’t be satisfied with a knock off. Hard to see how CG gets hurt here. I think this is actually a compliment to CG. As the saying goes, imitation is the best form of flattery. I don’t have a dog in this fight; just my two cents.

I don't know. If Brian is upset, that is one thing. It does seem that Charcoal Goods' handles all share certain characteristics that are unique to the brand and so maybe Joe overstepped. They should probably talk. Still, there are a lot of similarities in handles across brands.

The shaving bowl is a different matter. IBs shaving bowl is simply not in the same category as the CC bowl. The Captain didn't invent the short sided bowl but he does make some very nice bowls, while the RR bowl is not as artistic and really only a functional equivalent. The thumb tab has been associated with the CC bowl but just because it's a good idea does that mean that nobody can copy it? Someone was the first to put a handle on a bowl, swirls on the bottom, an outer chamber for hot water. Every design copies elements from other designs.

IBs designs are cheaper alternatives that don't, IMHO, compete with the originals. They just offer less expensive alternatives.

[QUOTE = "Galaktus, post: 10364860, membro: 79677"]
Spero che Razorock uscirà con un SS Lupo normale senza il rivestimento. Il mio Lupo in alluminio è il mio DE preferito.
[/CITAZIONE]buongiorno anch io vorrei comprare rr lupo premetto che non ho barba dura e folta io attualmente uso il parker91r

This is interesting. I'm curious where you guys draw the line because I'm sure most of you have a Raw...which, to me, is a rip-off of a BB. Then, some of you actually blow smoke up Shane's butt telling him how great he is...to the point of letting Shane drive your purchasing decisions.

PS....I didn't read the whole thread, and won't, but if this got covered, just ignore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Dunno why you deleted the post. My opinion is based on images similar to these. You are right, no resemblance, at all.

Thanks for the answer tho. Carry on.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I get it, I suppose. Prolly shoulda deleted my post, too. [emoji16]

Back atcha, Frank.

[QUOTE = "pupazzo di neve, palo: 10338208, membro: 81645"]
Mio $ 0,02, il Lupo in alluminio è ok, ma puoi ottenere una rasatura simile da una moltitudine di rasoi meno costosi. $ 90 per la stessa cosa in acciaio, no. Il mio Lupo in alluminio è già stato PIF.
[/ CITAZIONE]
Salve grazie x la risposta ...
Io attualmente uso il parker 91r quotidianamente vorrei qualcosa poco di più incisivo sempre rasatura dolce tu cosa mi consigli?

I like how the corners of the Lupo head taper inwards. I don't see CG offering this design feature. The only other razor I know like that is the PAA Ascension. Having said that, an upcoming RR handle looks a lot like the PAA Bomb Tip design. Additionally, I noticed (having several RR stainless steel handles) that their new knurling has improved over their old knurling. For example, the RR Super Knurl handle received with my Mamba 70 is different than the one I received with my Game Changer 68 last year. The knurling not only looks better (the handles have more of a shine) the grip is better too. Honestly, I am all for improvements and even if these products are similar, as long as they offer something different (lower price, better design, improved knurling, etc.) I am for it. This way, in the future we will all have better products. Having said that, I do not approve of stealing other people's designs - so the line is fine. I'll keep my eyes open for this in the future and thank everyone for pointing it out.

Top Bottom