What's new

Stacking Two Blades in a Gillette New SC?

I recall reading somewhere that the old Gillette Blades were thicker than the new blades. I have a 1930s Gillette New SC that shaves like a the dickens (and causes irritation on spots of my neck). Would stacking two modern blades equate to the older thicker blades and perhaps offer better comfort?

Bonus question- what blades do well for you in a New SC?

I recall reading somewhere that the old Gillette Blades were thicker than the new blades. I have a 1930s Gillette New SC that shaves like a the dickens (and causes irritation on spots of my neck). Would stacking two modern blades equate to the older thicker blades and perhaps offer better comfort?

You can make a shim from an old blade. Just clip off the sharp edges with a pair of scissors you don't care about too much.

Putting the shim under the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly milder. Putting the shim on top of the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly more aggressive. What you are actually doing is varying the blade exposure slightly with the shim.

I'm very fond of my New SC replated in nickel. Many blades work well with it. I'd suggest trying Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep, GSB, Nacet or Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack). Blades are notoriously YMMV, though.

Permasharps have become my go to for open comb razors. Used to suffer a lot with them until I tried those. Now much happier. Thinking about trying some of the Russian platinum “Swede” style blades to see how they are in them.

You can make a shim from an old blade. Just clip off the sharp edges with a pair of scissors you don't care about too much.

Putting the shim under the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly milder. Putting the shim on top of the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly more aggressive. What you are actually doing is varying the blade exposure slightly with the shim.

I'm very fond of my New SC replated in nickel. Many blades work well with it. I'd suggest trying Personna Lab Blue or Med Prep, GSB, Nacet or Perma-Sharp (gold/red pack). Blades are notoriously YMMV, though.

Now I'm thinking of a Shim Sandwich.

Two blades is terrible, but I have found that Durasharps work really well. Very closed irritation free shave. I'm not sure why, but the coated carbon steel blade is sharp enough but also more forgiving that the stainless blades I have tried (although a 2016 Polsilver was also excellent).

If you have a New SC give the blades a shot.

Putting the shim under the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly milder. Putting the shim on top of the cutting blade will usually make the razor slightly more aggressive.
You must be using the terms "under" and "on top of" from the perspective of holding the cap upside down while you load the blade?

A shim between the blade and the base plate will increase the blade gap and give a more aggressive shave.
Putting the shim between the blade and the cap can reduce blade exposure and give a less aggressive shave.

I don't have a SC -- but my New LC shaves really well with modern blades and no shims required.

I've a NSC & NLC and like the NLC just a tad more. If I'm understanding correctly, like you, my neck is very sensitive, always has been resulting very easily in a couple of weepers with the first pass, nearly regardless of the blade. I do not shave daily, though I've the beard to do so. I shave about 2xs/wk in order to have a bit of "cushion" from the longer stubble growth.

Through some experimentation I've discovered the following:

1. Preparation is critical. I scrub with a nylon mit and Dr. Bronner's soap, then build a base of a pre-shave (my choice is PAA Cube 2.0 preshave non-menthol), then on top of that a well developed bowl lather. I shave my head which takes a minute, then my cheeks and my neck last. I'll reapply/re-paint lather on my neck inbetween passes on my head and cheeks so as to continue hydrating my neck stubble.

2. I've learned that XTG, WTG, ATG passes are best. Miraculously the past two shaves I've basically only needed 2 passes and some touch up: very grateful.

3. Blade choice. This will be and has been said over and over. Each blade has its own characteristics, a known sharp blade can be harsh, a blade known to tug a bit may end up being perfect after the first shave with it. I really like Wizamet Super Sharp and Perma Sharp. I scored a few Voskhod and while these drag just a bit at first, are the best blades I've found for my neck overall. (Not recommending the foregoing blades, simply sharing.)

It's no small blessing that in the scheme of things blades are generally very inexpensive and buying a tuck or two or three to try them out isn't a terrible imposiiton generally speaking.

I'm sure you'll find the best combination for your needs.

One last thought on double stacking blades. Multi-blade carts or something like the Leaf is a stacked and staggered/stepped backward bladed shaver so as to maintain the correct blade angle. The architecture of these blades is such to provide close one pass shaves and they can essentially eliminate all kinds of irritation. (The old Gillette razor adverts if memory serves, demonstrated this via animation.)

Two blades simply stacked on each other would invariably kill their effectiveness for lack of space. It seems to me, though the blades are essentially nearly in the same space, the angle of attack/angle of shave is not the same as it is designed to be in carts because the blades are not staggered/stepped back. I think this would essentially occlude the blade edges of both. Simply sounds like it would result in a good old fashioned blood letting...

Again, conceptual thought process nothing scientific.

Shave on Garth!!!

Last edited:
You must be using the terms "under" and "on top of" from the perspective of holding the cap upside down while you load the blade?

A shim between the blade and the base plate will increase the blade gap and give a more aggressive shave.
Putting the shim between the blade and the cap can reduce blade exposure and give a less aggressive shave.

I don't have a SC -- but my New LC shaves really well with modern blades and no shims required.

That's correct the intent was to put the shim next to the base plate to increase exposure. Sorry for not explaining that very clearly in the post back in February (perhaps senility is setting in?). You understood the meaning, so that's good at least!

I think the NEW SC is quite good as it is, but sometimes do shim other razors.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

There are few folks who stack 2 blades together to smoooth out the shave, it might be hard to believe it would help but it does work and have tried it a few times myself to confirm this different shaving procedure.
(Old archived photo's) of razors that I double stacked to test when others mentioned this smoothing of shave. Josh on "Subie shaves" youtube shaves a lot of the time with a Subie stack of 2 X 1/2 blades also. He rarely cuts himself I should mention when he is head shaving.)

Yaqi slant double stacked with a bottom shim..jpg

Wunderbar 2 blade stack.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom