What's new

SR Shaving Class

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The classes started last month, limited to three students. There was Cec, Kent and Colin. Cec had his own SR that I cleaned up and honed for him. The other two each bought a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SR kit through AliExpress. All three bought a Titan leather/denim strop in addition to the denim strop that was included in their Titan kits. I honed the Titan SRs up to shave-ready for them.

IMG_20230301_124833.jpg

The Titan Kit
(about US$22 including shipping)

IMG_20230312_083141.jpg

The Titan Strop
(About US$13.50 including shipping)
I had a few spare Chinese synthetic brushes on hand so I gave one to Cec who didn't have a brush, he used foam. They each bought a tube of Palmolive Regular cream (Italy) from the local supermarket (about US$2).

The Mareeba Mens' Shed meets on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday mornings. I decided to start these classes on a Monday morning.

Class 1 (Monday)

This class involved two parts, classroom instruction and questions followed by a practical demonstration of me SR shaving, including more questions and answers. This class included stropping. I did not yet distribute the honed SRs. The class was finished with distribution of written SR shaving instructions and my advice that they practice their stropping using something like a butter knife until the next class.

Class 2 (Wednesday)

This was hands-on class. I first did another SR demonstration shave, just to refresh their memory. The honed SRs where distributed and each performed his own first SR shave with the others watch on and me providing guidance. That was an interesting class for all of us. It took about 3 hours to get through. We finished the class with stropping the honed SRs. The class finished with the advice to SR shave daily until the next class the following Monday.

No Class (Thursday)

I was not involved but the three students got together and discussed their initial at-home SR shaving experiences.

Class 3 (Monday, third and final)

Each student now had 6 SR shaving experiences. We met again for a final formal practical class. Again I gave a demonstration SR shave first followed by each student doing their own. They certainly had improved over the past week. All students loved their newfound skills. We then discussed edge refreshing using the supplied stropping past. Going into the detains of honing was not covered.

I found this an interesting experience. The hardest part for these students to develop was the correct shave angle and blade edge pressure, both on the skin and against their whiskers.

There are already now more members who want to learn this gentlemanly art and the shed is even getting a few enquiries from non-members. My next class will still be limited to three students. Instead of me honing their T.H.60 SRs to shave-ready, I will get them to prepare their SRs just using the supplied CeOx paste on their denim strops.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think it would be a good idea to do such a class on Zoom so you can have more people join.
It's not that easy. Many different or varied camera angles would be require. For me, the personal teaching approach is the best.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
When your disciples have mastered the basics, let them be apostles. Each student can be a teacher. Force multiplication. At the same time you can introduce your original students to more and more advanced skill sets to use and enjoy, and eventually pass down. When your students' students are teaching students, even only classes of three, then you will have 30 new straight shavers out there. When the next generation comes along, and the next, well, you can do math.

When your disciples have mastered the basics, let them be apostles. Each student can be a teacher. Force multiplication. At the same time you can introduce your original students to more and more advanced skill sets to use and enjoy, and eventually pass down. When your students' students are teaching students, even only classes of three, then you will have 30 new straight shavers out there. When the next generation comes along, and the next, well, you can do math.
It's called SR evangelism !

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I am a member of the local Men's Shed in Mareeba (pop. about 10,000). The Men's Shed is a bit like the Country Women's Association (CWA) here in Australia. It is a place where men can get together and talk/do men's stuff.

A couple of weeks ago during morning tea at the Men's Shed, talk got around to shaving (I wonder how? 😁). One of the men, Ces, mentioned that he had a couple of SRs he inherited from his grandfather and offered to bring them in for me to look at. Ces has never shaved with a SR.

Last week I got to inspect these two SRs. They were a matching set of 6/8 full hollow Dutch points. The shanks were stamped "TAYLOR SHEFFIELD ENGLAND". The blades' profile and grinds were very similar to Cadman Bengalls. Even the scales were the same as later model Bengalls. I forgot the take photos. Their condition was commensurate with their age for well looked after SRs. There were a few light oxidation spots on the blade and spine.

After that morning tea, three members (including Ces) approached me and asked me if I would teach them how to shave with a SR. I told them that I would think about it and let them know.

Now I am thinking about starting a small SR shaving class for those Men's Shed members who are interested in the gentlemanly art. Ces is the only one who has a SR. Others would need to buy their own.

My thoughts are to only teach them how to shave and strop with a SR and how to maintain the blade and strop. Honing can come later if there is interest.

Here are my thoughts so far on this matter:
  • Those without an SR buy a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (about USD 20 including shipping on AliExpress) and a suitable strop. They will also need to get their own shaving brush if currently without one. Palmolive shave cream can be purchased at the local IGA supermarket for a couple of dollars.
  • I will hone their SRs up to shave-ready for free.
  • I would probably only have 2 or 3 hours to hands-on teach them the basic skills they will need, so will provide them with some written instructions to read while I am honing their SRs.
  • We would then meet at the Men's Shed one morning for the class.

What are your thoughts on this project?
I think it is a wonderful idea! Go for it

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes, that is my aim.

I will know I have won when the supermarket in town stocks a range of SRs to choose from 😁.

That's great - have considered joining a Men's Shed myself to improve my woodworking skills - maybe they have skills that can help with your scales and peening that they can PIF.

cheers

andrew

Actually, multiple cameras are not needed. Multiple mirrors on stands so that you can see as you turn your face a different angle to the camera are what are needed.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A follow-up on my first SR shaving class.

Two of the three students are still shaving with their initial Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs. I guided them using lapping films to refresh the edges and one also progressed onto diamond pasted balsa strops. The third student dropped out as he didn't want (or couldn't afford) to get into lapping films.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Next Class

This morning I received a request from two local Thursday Island indigenous men to teach them how to shave with a SR. Their first class is set to start next Thursday morning.

I have a couple of spare Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 SRs (from my pasted strop honing experiment). These two SRs will be honed up and finished on diamond pasted balsa. The two new students can buy them from at cost (about US$20) including a new denim strop and CeOx pasted.

I also have a couple of spare Chinese synthetic brushes I can give them. Palmolive Regular cream is available in our local supermarket for about US$2 (65g). They should then be set up for at least a hundred SR shaves or more.

I am really enjoying teaching others to SR shave.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is the starter kit I offer to students of my classes, AU$49 (about US$33) for shed members or AU$99 (about US$66) for non-members. Shed membership is AU$30 (about US$20) and includes insurance during all shed activities. I am effectively providing free initial honing for members. The rest is about at cost to me.

IMG_20230604_094737.jpg

The kit contains:
  • Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60, shave-ready (tested) finished on diamond pasted balsa.​
  • PU leather case, zippered with stainless steel edging.​
  • Denim/kid-leather 60mm wide strop. I find the kid leather works just as well as calf hide leather.​
  • Tube of Palmolive Regular cream (65g).​
  • Chinese synthetic brush (my most favoured brush).​
  • Tin of petroleum jelly (10ml).​
  • Stropping paste, cerium oxide, for refreshing the edge on denim.​
  • Sponge for wiping the blade clean while shaving.​
  • Written instructions for beginner SR shavers (not pictured).​
This kit should be good enough for a hundred shaves or much more. Might need a some more cream later.

If a student wants any additional gear, I can either supply it or point them in the right direct to where they can buy it online.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Funny, none of the IGA stores I've been to here in SEQ have that cream...I've looked in every single one!
Must be a local thing. Palmolive cream is readily available in NQ, Sydney and Melbourne that I know of. I have noticed that it isn't available in small IGA X-press stores, only their bigger supermarkets. I have also seen it in a (very) few Coles and Woolies supermarkets.

It's also available on eBay for about the same price plus postage of about AU$10.

Top Bottom