What's new

SR Shaving Class

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am a member of the local Men's Shed in Mareeba (pop. about 10,000). The Men's Shed is a bit like the Country Women's Association (CWA) here in Australia. It is a place where men can get together and talk/do men's stuff.

A couple of weeks ago during morning tea at the Men's Shed, talk got around to shaving (I wonder how? 😁). One of the men, Ces, mentioned that he had a couple of SRs he inherited from his grandfather and offered to bring them in for me to look at. Ces has never shaved with a SR.

Last week I got to inspect these two SRs. They were a matching set of 6/8 full hollow Dutch points. The shanks were stamped "TAYLOR SHEFFIELD ENGLAND". The blades' profile and grinds were very similar to Cadman Bengalls. Even the scales were the same as later model Bengalls. I forgot the take photos. Their condition was commensurate with their age for well looked after SRs. There were a few light oxidation spots on the blade and spine.

After that morning tea, three members (including Ces) approached me and asked me if I would teach them how to shave with a SR. I told them that I would think about it and let them know.

Now I am thinking about starting a small SR shaving class for those Men's Shed members who are interested in the gentlemanly art. Ces is the only one who has a SR. Others would need to buy their own.

My thoughts are to only teach them how to shave and strop with a SR and how to maintain the blade and strop. Honing can come later if there is interest.

Here are my thoughts so far on this matter:
  • Those without an SR buy a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (about USD 20 including shipping on AliExpress) and a suitable strop. They will also need to get their own shaving brush if currently without one. Palmolive shave cream can be purchased at the local IGA supermarket for a couple of dollars.
  • I will hone their SRs up to shave-ready for free.
  • I would probably only have 2 or 3 hours to hands-on teach them the basic skills they will need, so will provide them with some written instructions to read while I am honing their SRs.
  • We would then meet at the Men's Shed one morning for the class.

What are your thoughts on this project?

Legion

Staff member
I'd be wary of buying anything from Aliexpress right now. Auspost have stopped accepting surface mail from overseas, and that is how most Aliexpress stuff is posted.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I'd be wary of buying anything from Aliexpress right now. Auspost have stopped accepting surface mail from overseas, and that is how most Aliexpress stuff is posted.
AliExpress are now shipping privately to Australia (Sydney) where their agent in Sydney then forwards it on via Australia Post. All is working well.

I am a member of the local Men's Shed in Mareeba (pop. about 10,000). The Men's Shed is a bit like the Country Women's Association (CWA) here in Australia. It is a place where men can get together and talk/do men's stuff.

A couple of weeks ago during morning tea at the Men's Shed, talk got around to shaving (I wonder how? 😁). One of the men, Ces, mentioned that he had a couple of SRs he inherited from his grandfather and offered to bring them in for me to look at. Ces has never shaved with a SR.

Last week I got to inspect these two SRs. They were a matching set of 6/8 full hollow Dutch points. The shanks were stamped "TAYLOR SHEFFIELD ENGLAND". The blades' profile and grinds were very similar to Cadman Bengalls. Even the scales were the same as later model Bengalls. I forgot the take photos. Their condition was commensurate with their age for well looked after SRs. There were a few light oxidation spots on the blade and spine.

After that morning tea, three members (including Ces) approached me and asked me if I would teach them how to shave with a SR. I told them that I would think about it and let them know.

Now I am thinking about starting a small SR shaving class for those Men's Shed members who are interested in the gentlemanly art. Ces is the only one who has a SR. Others would need to buy their own.

My thoughts are to only teach them how to shave and strop with a SR and how to maintain the blade and strop. Honing can come later if there is interest.

Here are my thoughts so far on this matter:
  • Those without an SR buy a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 (about USD 20 including shipping on AliExpress) and a suitable strop. They will also need to get their own shaving brush if currently without one. Palmolive shave cream can be purchased at the local IGA supermarket for a couple of dollars.
  • I will hone their SRs up to shave-ready for free.
  • I would probably only have 2 or 3 hours to hands-on teach them the basic skills they will need, so will provide them with some written instructions to read while I am honing their SRs.
  • We would then meet at the Men's Shed one morning for the class.

What are your thoughts on this project?
This sounds like an excellent way of recruiting new members into our cult - er I mean hobby. :)

That's a brilliant idea - bring a few different soaps/creams and brushes as well so they can experience some of the fun of shaving. Worst case scenario is that they will fall down the rabbit hole like the rest of us!

cheers

Andrew

Wo, you are going to teach them to cut their faces off! I knew you'd get around to that.

Hahahaha! Just kidding. That sounds like a great class. If I were over there I'd join in and help. Good for you. Maybe, you all should let some of the young fellers know and you might get some young men started down the right path.

I can see that you have a very positive attitude here - because your list does not include styptic pencil. I guess there will be plenty of toilet paper available 😆

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have given this SR class thing a bit more thought. It is probably going to be better teaching one student at a time, one each day. The bathroom I have available currently looks like this:

IMG_20221123_135543.jpg
Good lighting, hot and cold water but no mirror. Will need to get the management to buy and fit a mirror.

Top Bottom