What's new

SR Dopp Kit

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is the dopp kit I use when traveling. If traveling buy air, it needs to be in checked luggage. This kit is sufficient for about a month away. If I need longer, I'll add some more aftershave.

IMG_20220209_154001.jpg
The contents consists of (from top left):

IMG_20220209_154410.jpg
  • Sponge to wipe blade's​
  • Face soap (Pears Transparent)​
  • Renaissance wax for blade​
  • Alum stick​
  • Aftershave​
  • Mirror​
  • Shave cream​
  • Straight razor with kid-leather pouch​
  • Mini pasted balsa strop​
  • Brush container​
  • Shaving brush​
  • Blade oil​
  • Calf-hide/denim strop​
  • Polishing cloth for wax​

• Small Hershel Dopp Bag, 3 litre
• Stainless Steel Razor, Henkels Friodur 72
• 2” Kangaroo Rollup Strop, “Joey”
• Simpson Classic 1 Best Badger Brush
• 50ml Martin de Candre Shaving Soap
• Neutrogena Hydro Boost Balm
• Titanium Lather Bowl (Camping bowl)
• Synthetic Sponge
• Stainless Steel Espresso Spoon

* Add 6x2x1/4” Translucent Arkansas if away for more than one week

** Water, towels and mirror to be sourced at location.

A81AC4D7-A8DB-43F3-BC24-8F081E8559CF.jpeg

D92A6C35-17FF-45AE-AC48-EA72540561D9.jpeg

B5405F9E-7ED4-4B1C-AE20-E0270B7B2144.jpeg

1EC6E47D-D4A8-41E8-AACF-2DD8A2993E06.jpeg

Last edited:
My work has always required some travel and so I have always had a dopp kit on hand. For me, a dopp kit consisted of items that are not in everyday use, so that when I need to leave I don't have to add anything to the kit. But I never had a straight in there because there was no room for a standard length strop and scuttle. And my business trips never allowed me the time for a leisurely morning shave. So my dopp kit would typically have a Fatboy, Slim or Schick injector along with an airline approved small can of foam. Call me sacrilegious, but that Schick injector is one fine shaving machine!

Weekender/carry-on/short trip kit. It stays with me when I travel. It works as a 3-1-1 liquids bag too. I’ve done a month out of it. I’ve got a bigger, long term kit if needed that can be checked with straights. I can work from that one for months.

6A3CD901-2635-428A-BE64-CC9360F040F2.jpeg

Weekender/carry-on/short trip kit. It stays with me when I travel. It works as a 3-1-1 liquids bag too. I’ve done a month out of it. I’ve got a bigger, long term kit if needed that can be checked with straights. I can work from that one for months.

View attachment 1407911
Nice one. Those silicon socks may be worth looking into. I wonder if they would fit inside my toothbrush holder that acts as a hard outter shell. That could open up the travel kit to high carbon razors.

Nice one. Those silicon socks may be worth looking into. I wonder if they would fit inside my toothbrush holder that acts as a hard outter shell. That could open up the travel kit to high carbon razors.
They don’t fit in there. I never had a problem with carbon blades in toothbrush cases even living and traveling in hot and humid places. But I do like the sleeves and don’t use toothbrush cases anymore.

They don’t fit in there. I never had a problem with carbon blades in toothbrush cases even living and traveling in hot and humid places. But I do like the sleeves and don’t use toothbrush cases anymore.
Might see if I can pick up a silicon gun cleaning cloth locally for inside the toothbrush case. I like the idea of a hard shell and a silicon sleeve would add another level of protection for high carbon steel blades on the go.

Might see if I can pick up a silicon gun cleaning cloth locally for inside the toothbrush case. I like the idea of a hard shell and a silicon sleeve would add another level of protection for high carbon steel blades on the go.
You might could squeeze a 5/8 inside, but my 6/8s don’t fit. I checked again to reply above, because it’s been 10 odd years since I tried.

back when, I’d just throw some toilet/tissue paper in each end of the cases so the razor wouldn’t bang around and break the case like what happened once.

I simply rubber band the razor into the sleeve so it won’t slip/fall out, and pack it/them so they won’t move around in my Dopps. In my pic I’ve got 2 wrapped together. That’s worked fine for years.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I’ve used most of them from regular Dopp bags, to a military tool bag and a few other odd ones.

The L.L. Bean bag beats everything and it isn’t even a contest. Mine is a medium and it’s fine for one guy. It can hang on a bathroom door and everything is easily available and unlike a Dopp bag, organized.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/738...etry-bag-medium&bc=50&feat=50-GN0&csp=f&***=5

1F0EEAF4-95F9-410E-B581-E58E3560B148.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve used most of them from regular Dopp bags, to a military tool bag and a few other odd ones.

The L.L. Bean bag beats everything and it isn’t even a contest. Mine is a medium and it’s fine for one guy. It can hang on a bathroom door and everything is easily available and unlike a Dopp bag, organized.

yep, that’s my “big kit” dopp. Looks like I’ve had mine a touch longer than you. They can be seriously loaded up and still pack fairly small. I can work out it for months.

EA71E556-888D-48A0-A851-5D459F636A21.jpeg

Top Bottom