What's new

Recommended SR Starter Kit - Titan ACRM-2 for about US$22 including shipping worldwide

That's not the point of the exercise.

The exercise is to get a reasonably good shave-ready edge on the SR using just the gear that it comes with.

I got mine and have been stropping it over the last few days, doing 100 or so laps at a time.

Inked the edge with a sharpie and it was removed rather quickly, so I repeated that process. I believe my razor is still in the "honing" stage and will continue stropping. I can't believe that it is shave ready after a couple hundred laps, though it will dry shave arm hair.

I guess the only downfall for a beginner like me is not having a true shave ready razor on hand (or ever having shaved with one) for reference, and only attempting a shave to determine actual sharpness of the blade.

Still, I'm moving forward, stropping with the TV news on for some background noise.

I'm still glad I got the kit and will certainly attempt a shave at some point - at least my cheeks. Even if it turns out less than perfect, I've only invested 20 bucks, and I'm building my stropping technique and muscle memory pretty quickly.

I admit though, I have already been eyeing a film honing kit on Amazon that includes two glass plates and an assortment of film.

I don't think you can strop a razor into a shave ready condition, even with paste. Stropping generally straightens the distortion a blade undergoes during shaving. Stropping with paste may bring back an edge, if that edge was previously there. If you have not set a bevel, you will not get anywhere with stropping. If you strop hundreds of laps with paste, you may be able to get something that shaves. But I doubt it will shave well and comfortably. If you want to shave well with a Titan, or any razor, I think you need to set the bevel and hone that edge.

twocents.jpg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I got mine and have been stropping it over the last few days, doing 100 or so laps at a time.

Inked the edge with a sharpie and it was removed rather quickly, so I repeated that process. I believe my razor is still in the "honing" stage and will continue stropping. I can't believe that it is shave ready after a couple hundred laps, though it will dry shave arm hair.

I guess the only downfall for a beginner like me is not having a true shave ready razor on hand (or ever having shaved with one) for reference, and only attempting a shave to determine actual sharpness of the blade.

Still, I'm moving forward, stropping with the TV news on for some background noise.

I'm still glad I got the kit and will certainly attempt a shave at some point - at least my cheeks. Even if it turns out less than perfect, I've only invested 20 bucks, and I'm building my stropping technique and muscle memory pretty quickly.

I admit though, I have already been eyeing a film honing kit on Amazon that includes two glass plates and an assortment of film.
It's good that you are trying.

How quickly the ink is worn off depends on the blade's initial honing and your stropping technique. Stropping with too much slack in the strop or too much pressure so that it deflects more during the lap will more quickly remove the ink but will not be beneficial to producing a good edge.

Using just the CeOx paste and denim strop, do not expect to get an edge equivalent to that that can be produced by an experienced honer using all the gear. The aim is to get a shave-ready edge that works. It may not be the keenest of edges.

Without having another properly honed SR to compare against, the only way that you can test you CeOx stropped edge is to shave with it. It's called the shave test and the only one that really matters.

Try shaving with it as is now and see how it goes. Then perform more CeOx pasted stropping laps and shave with it again. Does the edge improve?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I don't think you can strop a razor into a shave ready condition, even with paste. Stropping generally straightens the distortion a blade undergoes during shaving. Stropping with paste may bring back an edge, if that edge was previously there. If you have not set a bevel, you will not get anywhere with stropping. If you strop hundreds of laps with paste, you may be able to get something that shaves. But I doubt it will shave well and comfortably. If you want to shave well with a Titan, or any razor, I think you need to set the bevel and hone that edge.

View attachment 1635325
All the new Titans that I have purchased came with a reasonably set (multifaceted) bevel. They all required some work to shave with.

Remember, this set is not recommended to a beginner who has access to an experienced SR honer and doesn't mind dropping a US$100 or (a lot) more including shipping on their initial setup.

An edge that is capable of shaving reasonably well with comfort is all that is hoped to be produced.

This kit even got @gpjoe into the gentlemanly art 😁.

It's good that you are trying.

How quickly the ink is worn off depends on the blade's initial honing and your stropping technique. Stropping with too much slack in the strop or too much pressure so that it deflects more during the lap will more quickly remove the ink but will not be beneficial to producing a good edge.

Using just the CeOx paste and denim strop, do not expect to get an edge equivalent to that that can be produced by an experienced honer using all the gear. The aim is to get a shave-ready edge that works. It may not be the keenest of edges.

Without having another properly honed SR to compare against, the only way that you can test you CeOx stropped edge is to shave with it. It's called the shave test and the only one that really matters.

Try shaving with it as is now and see how it goes. Then perform more CeOx pasted stropping laps and shave with it again. Does the edge improve?

I figured that the ink was removed quickly because I was pressing too hard, which causes the strop to "wrap" itself around the edges of the blade, and the reason I repeated it, and will do so again.

That is another difficulty with inexperience. A beginner does not have any reference for how hard to push the razor against the strop.

I know the idea is to hold the strop tight enough to avoid deflecting it, but I can also just pull harder on the strop to prevent deflection and press on the razor just as hard. It's all about knowing (finding) the proper technique.

There seems to be many, many variables.

One does not need an expensive razor to enjoy a good and comfortable shave. Forum members like @rbscebu and @Slash McCoy can get great shaves from a Titan or a Gold Dollar razor. But I believe the newcomer needs a proven shave ready razor in order to benchmark the results from a Titan or GD. You need a standard to strive towards, or you may not know what you are missing. And you do not need to spend a lot. You can pick up an inexpensive razor from the 'bay or elsewhere for maybe $10 to $15. You can have it honed to shave ready for another $18 plus postage. That's small investment to obtain a standard. Now you can gauge your results from your Titan or Gold Dollar.

Here is the guide to get a Titan ACRM-2 T.H.60 shaving kit to a good shave-ready standard.

(Check following posts in this thread for any revisions of this guide.)
This is exemplary work. Detailed to perfection. I have two of these Titans which I have yet to work on. Though I have a full range of hones and more, what inspires me to use this method is to pick up a buddget straight for travelling, which I do for extended periods of time. Thank you so much for putting in the effort.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am now away for about 3 weeks. Yesterday's shave with this Titan was in Japan. This morning and for the next couple of weeks I will be in Korea shaving with the CeOx Titan. So far so good.

The only maintenance I have with me is the original CeOx pasted denim strop, still not re-pasted.

Don't forget to let us know here how it goes for you.
Well I decided to have the razor honed and stropped by a "professional". I went to pick it up today and said it will never be able to hold an edge that would be shave worthy. That the metal was chipping out as it was being honed. But since the blade was kind of honed unevenly I am not sure if he was doing a quality job.

So I am going to try to clean up the mess he made and if I get the same results I am going to try and return it. I am not sure if the "professional" is very professional. He sharpened my two of my Benchmade Griptillian knives that I had just had new tonto blades put in. Well he rounded the tontos and kind of ruined what I use them for. As I sharpen them I am slowly working them back to where they need to be. Being a barber and so called "knife expert" I didn't think he could mess up a straight razor.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am still in Korea and shaving daily with my CeOx honed and finished Titan T.H.60. So far I have noticed no deterioration in the edge. All is still good.

Any deterioration could be creeping up on me without me noticing. When I return to AU, I will be able to do a few comparison shaves to she how things are going.

Still have my Titan, shave with it on occasions. But I still feel the Gold Dollar is a better deal, better balanced, and a better razor. But this is just me.

Reads like a whole lot of turd polishing to me.

Spending just a bit more on a Ralf Aust, Dovo or whatever brand not made in China just sets a better foundation to work from.

I'm not knocking the less expensive razors. But their price point prohibits the use of better steels and lengthy processes. So I am thinking that the money you save is not worth the time spent to constantly maintain that edge. My razor collection is way above the Gold Dollar and Titan price point. But my edges last for months with nothing more than about ten light laps on a good cordovan shell strop between shaves.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Still have my Titan, shave with it on occasions. But I still feel the Gold Dollar is a better deal, better balanced, and a better razor. But this is just me.
I also believe that a Gold Dollar is a good first SR. Indeed, my most preferred SR is still a Gold Dollar W59. A Gold Dollar SR does however, need to be honed to produce a reasonably good shave. You have to buy the additional honing gear/strop or send it out for professional honing. This can all add up to additional expense and difficulty.

SR balance is very much a personal preference. Most of the cheaper Gold Dollar SRs (with plastic scales) balance much closer to the blade than "proper" SRs.

Reads like a whole lot of turd polishing to me.

Spending just a bit more on a Ralf Aust, Dovo or whatever brand not made in China just sets a better foundation to work from.
I've read plenty of posts from people complaining of Dovo razors arriving in not shave-ready condition. It's well known on these forums that gold dollars and Titan razors can be honed to shave as well as the expensive brands. They're not as beautiful, but that doesn't make them "turds," does it?

Just found this thread...still reading through it, but, I am really considering giving this a shot. Could be fun and really what's to lose? At worst I end up with a $25cad strop.

Legion

Staff member
I've read plenty of posts from people complaining of Dovo razors arriving in not shave-ready condition. It's well known on these forums that gold dollars and Titan razors can be honed to shave as well as the expensive brands. They're not as beautiful, but that doesn't make them "turds," does it?
They can be made to shave, but I'm glad I didn't try it myself for my first razor. I think the point some people are trying to make is, without ANY experience of what a properly shave ready razor is supposed to feel like, how is a newbie going to know how and if they are getting there? Even with hones it would be hard enough, let alone stropping hundreds of laps, probably with dubious stropping technique, and saying to themselves "Hmmm.... I think it hurts less today?" While at the same time trying to work out their shaving technique, and all the other variables.

Top Bottom