What's new

SR Starter Kit For A Friend

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have just finished putting together a SR starter kit for a Turkish friend of mine now living and working in South Korea. The kit consists of:
  • Titan ACRO T.H-70 stainless steel straight razor, 6/8 Dutch (round) point, half-hollow grind dressed in African blackwood scales (handle). It comes packaged in a handmade fine timber case. I have applied Renaissance wax to the the blade and bees wax to the scales for protection. I have also honed this SR up to my standard of shave-ready and it should be used the first time without stropping.
  • Leather & denim strop 60mm wide of calf-hide from Kyrgyzstan. This is not an expensive strop as you will, like most, probably cut it up a bit as your learn how to strop. It is still a very good strop and I use one daily in my SR shaving routine.
  • Palmolive regular shaving cream (65g). A very good lathering cream for SR shaving.
  • Chinese synthetic shaving brush. Only a cheapy but a goody. I use one daily in my SR shaving routine.
  • Piece of natural chamois for wiping the blade dry after rinsing.
  • Polishing cloth for the blade and scales.
  • After-shave splash, a mixture of 20% Dickenson’s witch hazel and 80% Wahl bay rum.
  • 10ml can of bees wax to polish the razor’s scales.
  • 10ml can (empty) for petroleum jelly used to protect the blade’s steel when not in use.

Total cost was US$94 including shipping. I will post (US$20) this kit off tomorrow when I go into town.

DSCF1065.JPG
The Kit Contents

DSCF1064.JPG
The Kit Packaged​

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
That will make for a nice start.
I hope so. His Korean wife, Gyoung, has encouraged me to put this together for him. She prefers her man to be smooth of face.

Gyoung's husband, Cengiz, currently shaves with a cart. He doesn't like shaving so only shaves a few times a week. With this kit, we are hoping that he will start to want to shave daily.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
He needs some Free Honing coupons,
and an extra razor for when the time comes to redeem them.
You know you want to.
If he takes up the gentlemanly art he can put his own pasted balsa strop kit together. I have included instructions on SR shaving, pasted balsa strops and lapping films.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Cengiz received his starter's kit about 3 weeks ago. He loved the look of it but took a week or so, with his wife's encouragement, to build up the courage and put blade to face.

I was chatting with Cengiz last night. After the initial intrepidation and shaving daily with his SR, he is now feeling more confident and actually enjoying the challenge and experience. So far, he has been doing WTG passes only. Now he is going to venture into XTG.

The edge on the Titan T.H-70 is holding up well. Cengiz is ordering the materials for film lapping and pasted balsa.

Gyoung, his wife, is now also very please with her man's face.

BTW, Cengiz is a professional engineer in the same field as myself. He works for a Swedish firm and his area of responsibility is east Asia.

Top Bottom