What's new

Spouse/another razor dialog.

Any of you gents had this discussion in your house? So yesterday I told my spouse I'm getting a new razor and wanted to check which credit card to put it on. So went like this: Me . 'So I'm buying a razor and wanted to know which credit card to use' Her "What? You're buying another razor, Don't you have a lot of razors already?" Me. No, I have only two (forgot I have three). Her "So you need another one?" Me 'Well the price of everything is going up. So some things I want to buy now. This razor's on sale for like $43, lists for about $80 and soon may be $100. Her "So you need it?" Me ' I want it, you know what... just forget it. Her "Just buy it then, put it on discover."

We have a joint bank account, but also personal accounts and credit cards which we manage as we like. My wife might give a wry smile when another razor/brush/box of soap/cycle part/bit of climbing gear turns up, but then my reaction is similar when she announces she is off to yet another concert, play or arty film. It's live and let live as long as one doesn't ask the other for a loan!

Works that way in my house too.
same here, well once my missus gets a job.
😅
until then......
there is loads shaving stuff I "need" cough...."want" but will have to save
In Japan its also pretty usual for a husbands income to be paid into the wifes account. She is managing the house and bills etc. Then she dishes out the "allowance".
Also you cant have a joint account over here somehow.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
No, because I am the man and therefore the head of the household; I make the decisions, my word is final, and if my wife does not like it then she knows where the door is. And back to reality...... We have no such problems since what my wife will spend on a small tub of face cream is less than I have spent on enough vintage shaving soap to last 30 years. What she thinks is reasonable for a handbag could buy a Wolfman, every day, for a fortnight. Anyway, compared to my previous hobby shaving is so cheap it is practically free. As long as we do not spend more than we can afford, and all the bills are covered, then we have no problems with each of us spending whatever makes us happy. In truth our spending has slowed because we have all the happiness we need in each other.

My girlfriend doesn't have many hobbies, but every time she brings it up that I spend money for my hobbies, I always remind her she bought a new Tesla and BMW which she only drives 10 times a year combined. On the BMW, the moss is even growing happily all over the car at this point. Recently she also bought a new 4k EUR toilet seat. For now, I have some leverage in our conversations and my hobbies are safe. :biggrin1:

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
My girlfriend doesn't have many hobbies, but every time she brings it up that I spend money for my hobbies, I always remind her she bought a new Tesla and BMW which she only drives 10 times a year combined. On the BMW, the moss is even growing happily all over the car at this point. Recently she also bought a new 4k EUR toilet seat. For now, I have some leverage in our conversations and my hobbies are safe. :biggrin1:
At 4000 Euros for a toilet seat I would expect to get home and find Miss World sitting on it 👍

No, because I am the man and therefore the head of the household; I make the decisions, my word is final, and if my wife does not like it then she knows where the door is. And back to reality...... We have no such problems since what my wife will spend on a small tub of face cream is less than I have spent on enough vintage shaving soap to last 30 years. What she thinks is reasonable for a handbag could buy a Wolfman, every day, for a fortnight. Anyway, compared to my previous hobby shaving is so cheap it is practically free. As long as we do not spend more than we can afford, and all the bills are covered, then we have no problems with each of us spending whatever makes us happy. In truth our spending has slowed because we have all the happiness we need in each other.
My wife is a photographer as a hobby.
Enough said LOL

Be well
Jay

same here, well once my missus gets a job.
😅
until then......
there is loads shaving stuff I "need" cough...."want" but will have to save
In Japan its also pretty usual for a husbands income to be paid into the wifes account. She is managing the house and bills etc. Then she dishes out the "allowance".
I guess technically we dont have a joint account. I have an account we both deposit into that our life is paid for from. We each have a personal saving/spending account.
The joint account part comes in that She has my password and I have hers. Zero secrets in our house.

Be well
Jay

I have had those discussions on the household yes, but always in a loving way. And truth be told she is right most of the time.

I am also waayyy past three razors. Not to mention my soap supply and blade stock. Brushes are on the rise too. And I only have been shaving for about 1.5 years. I don’t have any other (too) expensive hobbies.

She has reluctantly accepted and since getting the third razor calls it an obsession. I think she’s right (again).

But all is well. She makes me want to be a better man.

Cheers,

Guido

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I found that interesting when in Japan. It also explained why there are very few menswear shops in Japan. Clothing shops are packed full of women's stuff with the small menswear section way down the back.

My cousin likes to say, "I make all the important decisions, the rest I leave up to the wife. Where we live, what we eat, what I wear, that's up to her. But our position on the war in Ukraine, or North Korean missile testing? That's all me."

Top Bottom