What's new

sports jacket and jeans

Definitely the right jeans with a sport coat go great -
Like was said before, dark jeans that look classy rather than tattered and faded work best, and I actually find that the dress shirt underneath will dictate which coat goes with it - seen plenty of dark sport coats that look spot on with jeans with the right shirt!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Khakis always left me feeling frumpy. I'd wear chinos ... before I wore khakis.

I always understood "khakis" and "chinos" to be essentially the same thing, just different terms for the same thing ("Sit on the couch if you are wearing khakis but sit on the sofa if you are wearing chinos.") Could you explain what you see as the difference? Thanks.

I always understood "khakis" and "chinos" to be essentially the same thing, just different terms for the same thing ("Sit on the couch if you are wearing khakis but sit on the sofa if you are wearing chinos.") Could you explain what you see as the difference? Thanks.
Looking it up I guess they are technically the same thing. In my mind though, chinos are a cleaner look.

Chinos vs. Khakis: The Difference

So here’s your definitive answer, insofar as there is one. Manufacturers and advertisers have strayed from these boundaries enough that you’ll have to take this with a big old grain of salt, but.broadly speaking.here are the differences:

Khakis.are thick, straight-legged, and typically pleated (although plain fronts are available from most brands these days). They have cuffs at the bottom hems.Chinos.are lightweight, tapered so that they narrow as they go lower on the leg, and can be either cuffed or uncuffed. They are generally flat-fronted.Both styles.are made from cotton twill, and are traditionally dyed somewhere in between a very pale cream color and a dark tan.

Of the two, khakis are more toward the sturdy work-wear end of things, while chinos are lighter and a bit dressier.

Y'all certainly don't base your tastes for jeans and sports jackets on me but ...

... While there are both jeans and sports jackets in the wardrobe, "never the twain shall meet" as the look is an offense to the eye in my view. no matter what is the current fashion.

This is more or less the look I am aiming for. I have jeans in that color range, not sure if I want to go with a similarly patterned shirt (I have a few like that) or crisp white, but either way. What type of jacket is this?

I remain that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong if the right combination of jeans/coat is being worn at the time. Cast judgement all you want, but here I am playing at my good friend's casual (dress) wedding, as she signs her papers..... In jeans (((GASP))). I'm neither farmhand nor cowboy.

View attachment 654596

This is more or less the look I am aiming for. I have jeans in that color range, not sure if I want to go with a similarly patterned shirt (I have a few like that) or crisp white, but either way. What type of jacket is this?

Hi there. It is linen. Cheers.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom

I still think of khakis as being slightly military and of a certain colour, extra pockets for equipment etc. Now get off my chesterfield already.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I still think of khakis as being slightly military and of a certain colour, extra pockets for equipment etc. Now get off my chesterfield already.

I think there's a lot of regional variation at play, too. Where I come from, nobody calls anything "chinos" unless they recently moved here from England or something. "I left my chinos in the boot of the lorry before I took the lift up to the first floor" sort of thing.

A key thing to note, though, is that a broad genre of trouser like "khaki'chino" (whatever we want to call it) can have within it a lot of variation between "sharp" looking dressy options and baggy, sloppy casual/work options. Ditto jeans.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I think there's a lot of regional variation at play, too. Where I come from, nobody calls anything "chinos" unless they recently moved here from England or something. "I left my chinos in the boot of the lorry before I took the lift up to the first floor" sort of thing.

A key thing to note, though, is that a broad genre of trouser like "khaki'chino" (whatever we want to call it) can have within it a lot of variation between "sharp" looking dressy options and baggy, sloppy casual/work options. Ditto jeans.

I've been an LL Bean customer for a very long time. This is the only reason I've ever seen or said chino. I do own many pairs of chinos though. The idea of having cuffs on them . . . er . . .na, I don't think so. Yes regional differences happen. When was the last time you heard of Dungarees?

Chino is a style of pants and khaki is a color.. I can buy green chino' s buy I can't buy green khaki but I can buy khaki chinos.

As for pulling off the sportscoat and jeans look. Nice darker jeans bought for the purpose and not 6 inches too long. A button down Oxford shirt. If you can't see your feet looking down forget this look.

Khaki is a colour. Khaki pants are khaki coloured.

Chino cloth is a fabric and the pants are called chinos

Hence, chinos can be khaki coloured chinos. Khaki pants can be made from a variety of fabric. They are not, however, the same (necessarily).

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Chino is a style of pants and khaki is a color.. I can buy green chino' s buy I can't buy green khaki but I can buy khaki chinos.

As for pulling off the sportscoat and jeans look. Nice darker jeans bought for the purpose and not 6 inches too long. A button down Oxford shirt. If you can't see your feet looking down forget this look.
I guess that rules out the bell bottoms :biggrin:

I believe that khakis is a color also. Usually on chinos. :001_rolle But I'm happy to be corrected. Also, as to the debate about appropriateness or look of jeans and a sports coat, I grew up around farms and I live in Idaho. It's not fashion here but a style. Nearly everyone here wears them together. I would think that substitution of a dressier sport shirt or even dress shirt, rather than a t-shirt, makes it work here. You almost never see folks here in a t-shirt and jeans with a sport coat. I think it depends- wear what is YOUR style and what makes you comfortable. (Personally, if I were the host it'd probably be chinos with a nice twill shirt and a cotton or linen jacket (or light wool).

Jeans and a sports coat almost always looks wrong. If you go this route make sure the jeans are in great shape (no holes, not faded, and actually fit correctly) or you're wearing a tweed jacket that was actually used for field work and has been repaired a bit. Pants that are worsted, twill, or moleskin will almost always look better with a jacket than jeans. A deconstructed jacket can work nicely with jeans or reds (Nantucket reds) as well as some seersucker jackets (Ralph Loren is a good example).

Jeans and a sports coat almost always looks wrong. If you go this route make sure the jeans are in great shape (no holes, not faded, and actually fit correctly) or you're wearing a tweed jacket that was actually used for field work and has been repaired a bit. Pants that are worsted, twill, or moleskin will almost always look better with a jacket than jeans. A deconstructed jacket can work nicely with jeans or reds (Nantucket reds) as well as some seersucker jackets (Ralph Loren is a good example).

I mean no offence here. You say jeans and sports coats almost never work and then you recommend Nantucket Reds. This is a prime example that not all people agree on fashion choices. A person doesn't have to like the look others go for, I'm not implying that... It's just that there is no denying it.... there are Nantucket Reds folks and there are Levi's Blues folks. Each approach is widely accepted by their respective demographic. Neither has a right to say what is right or wrong, however. All that said, I respectfully disagree with you (aside from the well fitting jeans part)

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is probably regional variation on Nantucket Reds vs. Blue Jeans. Where I am a sports coat and blue jeans is fairly common. If I saw someone in Nantucket Reds and a sports coat it would be exceptional.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like the look. To me khakis are golf pants. The only color I don't like is a blue that almost matches the color of the jeans. Your standard navy blazer usually works great, along with most other colors.

Top Bottom