What's new

Spirit of the Month - June 2009 - Pyrat XO Reserve Rum

Glad you think so John! I always enjoy serving this to people who's experience with dark rums is solely guided by a swashbuckling corporate icon. Usually they're instantly appreciative, even with drinks that tend to mask the flavor of such lesser rums.

I always try to avoid that icon. I remember many outstanding rums while in Tortolla years ago, but sadly I do not remember any names. Well, except for Pussers, which is required for Pain Killers.

[I'm trying to put together a daiquiri classic cocktails, Mai Tais may be next on my list if I can get them both out this month, but I'd like to include "Hemingway style" daiquiris and so in both cases, they call for ingredients I don't usually keep around. Hopefully I can get around to it -- real Mai Tais are such a wonderful summer treat, and another example of a drink that's been regrettably over-fruitified by the masses.[/QUOTE]

Mai Tais are fun because there are so many different, but equally good versions.

Good call, Pat! This is an excellent rum, and one that I am not afraid to use as a base in pure, simple cocktails. Tonight I used it in a manhattan-esque type cocktail.

I called it the Kingston, because I don't know the names of any large cities on Anguilla...
2 oz Pyrat rum
1/2 oz Citronge (an orange liqueur also from the Patron label)
dash of orange bitters (I used Fee Bros, but Angostura would be better)
Stirred to chill and dilute and served up with a flamed orange twist.

delicious on a warm summer eve.

Interesting. Must try with orange curacao instead of citronique...

This is the best rum I've ever had. Drank a bottle of this with 3 friends one afternoon about 3 years ago. We drank it on the rocks, on my patio while enjoying some fine cubans. Ahhh good times.

Top Bottom