What's new

Woodford Reserve

Living in Utah and government controlled liquor stores. Our options are sometimes VERY limited. A new liquor store opened up near our house and I this one is one of the largest in the state and supposed to have a larger selection.

So I stopped in yesterday and ventured over to the Whiskey section. I prefer bourbons, single malt scotches, and the occasional Canadian whiskey. While perusing the different offerings and mentally in my mind going: 'tasted it', 'didn't like it', 'have some at home', and 'cheaper when I go to Nevada or Wyoming' (both are only 90 min drives) I ran across a bottle of Woodford Reserve.

proxy.php

I have read a few things about it, known as a budget friendly Bourbon. I thought the bottle looked really nice and decided to pick up the bottle priced at $38.99. Got it home and that evening I sat down to a nice dram no water no ice. Just wanted to get the flavor profile. And I have to be honest I was very impressed. I was expecting a bite but none was had. The aroma on this whiskey was very nice, I kept smelling citrus with chocolate. The taste however was so smooth and caramel like with what reminded me of burnt toffee. I then added a tiny bit of water and it opened it up even more. MMMMM this is good stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised to find this whiskey to taste so good at this price range. A quick glance this morning told me my nose was right, and that Woodford has some other selections I will need to keep an eye out for. Here are the notes from the website if you are interested:

TASTING NOTES
Proof: 90.4°
Appearance: Clean, brilliant honey amber.
Nose: Heavy with rich dried fruit, hints of mint and oranges covered with a dusting of cocoa. Faint vanilla and tobacco spice.
Taste: Rich, chewy, rounded and smooth, with complex citrus, cinnamon and cocoa.
Toffee, caramel, chocolate and spice notes abound.
Finish: Silky smooth, almost creamy at first with a long, warm satisfying tail.

I might have found a new sipping bourbon to enjoy in the evenings.

Woodford is the only bourbon I drink. It isn't undrinkable like most cheap bourbons and it doesn't have that enormous pricetag that comes with most drinkable bourbons.

Weller Special Reserve in that price range has notes of caramel and honey. Love Woodford. Tough to argue w/Blanton's.. Will definitely research the Clyde May's offerings @MntnMan62

Their Alabama Whiskey is a bit sweeter than your typical bourbon, which I happen to like. Lots of apple in the whiskey. Less so in their bourbon. But I think I prefer the whiskey.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
That was my go-to bourbon for about 5 or six years when I didn't have as many financial responsibilities. I stopped getting it regularly when I had a band, and they all stopped bringing stuff to sip on because they knew that I'd have some Woodford in the cabinet. It's probably pound-for-pound my favorite bourbon.

I'm a fan. Have a half empty bottle on my bar right now. We toured the distillery a couple years ago and they had one of the best tours on the bourbon trail.

I went to high school and college in Kentucky, but really didn't get into bourbon beyond "utility bourbon" until after college. But after quite a few years of thinking I knew what was what, and deciding I knew the ones I liked and didn't, I went to a bourbon bar with my 2 brothers in Louisville.

Up till then, I always scoffed at Woodford for reasons I can no longer explain...We did a blind taste test of 10 bourbons, 1/4 oz each. Woodford Reserve was for all three of us the winner. I don't knock it any more.

It is my favorite. I tried Makers Mark and Jim Beam Black which both are very smooth also, but Woodford reserve is the smoothest of all.
I do fine the first sip to have a strong taste of rye but then it smooth's out just fine.

It's slowly working its way through my neighborhood. My neighbor Jack likes it and put me onto it. My neighbor Dick came over one time and wanted a bourbon. He was really impressed with it too.

Its a great bourbon. Where I live you can grab their bourbon ball candy.

For me I prefer Buffalo Trace when not going for the more expensive stuff.

Top Bottom