What's new

speick!

Those Germans sure know their shaving!

Used Speick tonight, great slickness and comfort and superb post shave. The post shave is quite soft, moisturized (almost waxy, in a good way). Not sure I had the water ratio dialed right as not as cushiony as I'd like, but there was still good protection.

The scent isn't the "I must have that" variety, but I find I do enjoy it - sort of a medicinal, herbal European vibe with the scent.

After the shave I just felt like it was a very natural cream. I didn't feel like I shaved with a bunch of chemicals, even though I might have :)

If you haven't tried this you might do yourself a favor and give it a go.

I've only the shaving cream (in a tube), and it is indeed a first-class product. The scent is not for everyone. Some have charitably likened it to wet cardboard, but I find it pleasant enough. The Jerrys do have a curious take on men's fragrances, such as Tabac. Aside from the stick mentioned above, it's also produced in an aerosol foam, but I've never seen that imported to the U.S. In their men's "Active" line, they also produce a tubed shaving cream, same scent, I believe.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The scent is not for everyone. Some have charitably likened it to wet cardboard, but I find it pleasant enough.

Does the stick and the tube smell the same? I find the stick one of my favorite smelling soaps. It's a light lavendar and natural plant, I forget which, it contains. I was going to say it's one of my best smelling sticks, which to be honest sells the Speick short as the sticks are Arko, Derby, Palmolive and Tabac. The first three smell soapy to a greater or lesser extent, the Tabac has it's own smell, I like, but the the Speick is preferable to all of those. I also like the Speick scent over most of my other soaps and creams.

Is yours the red and grey, or red and blue tube?

Does the stick and the tube smell the same? I find the stick one of my favorite smelling soaps. It's a light lavendar and natural plant, I forget which, it contains. I was going to say it's one of my best smelling sticks, which to be honest sells the Speick short as the sticks are Arko, Derby, Palmolive and Tabac. The first three smell soapy to a greater or lesser extent, the Tabac has it's own smell, I like, but the the Speick is preferable to all of those. I also like the Speick scent over most of my other soaps and creams.

My shaving cream tube, a recent acquisition, is red and Blue. I don't have a stick for comparison, but the tube lists lavender as a fragrance ingredient, so, probably the same. I've heard it said that the after-shave has a more floral scent, but I think it smells the same as the shaving cream. It also lists lavender as an ingredient.
The after-shave balm (balsam), however, is formulated somewhat differently, no lavender, marigold instead, yet it smells remarkably similar. Of course, they all contain Speick extract, the primary scent component.
I love the smell, but it is controversial and usually takes a bashing on these forums, though perhaps not as badly as Tabac!

...I grate the sticks...a superb soap; for me it has everything - rich velvety lather, great slickness, terrific post...you know straight away it is a tallow soap...superb scent...one of my favourites and betters the artisan offering I have tried...

I was thinking about using my cream and soap to do a speick super lather! I think I will do that for tomorrow’s shave!

I also like their aftershave...guess I will smell like a German U-Boat Commander tomorrow!

Vr

Matt

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Not that lather quality, face feel, slickness, cushion, latherability, etc are objective by any means, but they do seem less subjective than scent. I generally don't factor people's scent comments into my buying decisions as I know there is such a range. Scents I love others hate and vice versa.

Schauen Sie mal was beim Speick neu ist!
DSC00596.JPG

...I grate the sticks...a superb soap; for me it has everything - rich velvety lather, great slickness, terrific post...you know straight away it is a tallow soap...superb scent...one of my favourites and betters the artisan offering I have tried...
I love it too - it's one of the few soaps in production that approximates the vintage tallow soaps.

Another one here who's interested in more comments comparing the scents of stick and cream, and also the strength...hopefully the cream is similar but dialed up...?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Probably my favorite "mass market" product line, been using Spieck for many years. Scent of the cream and stick are pretty much dead on to my nose. kind of a spicy, earthy, lavender scent. I love it. Their AS is outstanding too.

I have a tube and it smells just about the same as stick albeit on a weaker side.
Tube lather is good but not at par with stick while the stick in turn cannot compete with many of top slot soaps often discussed in here. But stick does a good job and no greasy post shave feel with this one. I prefer the stick scent.
The aftershave is lavender+lemony+speick plant extract/scent and almost similar to blue 4711 on scent notes but 4711 have more geranium+marigold note to it. I like the AS and it punches well above its weight in soothing post shave experience. However it has a fleeting scent but that is an easy fix (for me).
The EDT 50ML has identical scent profile as that of the AS and about 5ml mixed into the 100ml AS fixes the weak smell. The EDT itself doesn't smell like something metrosexual males are bombarded with now a days but it smells like an effervescent smell to me, which is anything but dated and yet does not smell like an overbearing AXE garbage.

I read the instructions on the tube and it implies you should use cold water as hot water hardens the cream. Indeed, using cold water made for an even better shave!

Speick in the red/blue tube is my new favorite cream

Top Bottom