What's new

Special first shave with restored Old Type

Some time ago, I picked up a nice case Old Type pocket edition. It had an as-new head, but a cracked handle. The blade bank's plating was terrible, but the case looked great and I decided to have the set brought it back to life.

All the work was done by Chris Spencer at Backroadsgold. Chris located an un-cracked handle from another razor with a roached head and polished and plated everything to 29 microns of 24K gold. He's a real craftsman and everything came out wonderfully.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Although I have shaved with Old Types MANY MANY times, I had not shaved with this one before its restoration. It somehow seemed fitting that I should break it in with the blade it was made to use - something I had never done before.

Chris liked the set well enough that he sent me some original Gillette 3-hole blades to put in the blade bank for display purposes. I didn't ask for this, he just did it - part of why he's such a fantastic razor man.

I had no idea the exact age of these blades, they seem to pre-date date stamping, and how they have been stored for 100 years, so I decided to hone the blade before using it on a nice old Dart razor hone I had, new in the box. It was the hone's first use also (!) These blades are carbon steel, not stainless, they are not coated, and they are thicker than modern blades - at least 30% thicker. I then stropped it on my forearm, 20 swipes per edge side.

proxy.php

I paired the blade and razor with an Artuche Pure Badger and some old-school Barber's Saloon soap, similar to what would have been available in the 1910's. I face lathered and finished the shave off with a Parker alum block and some Proraso green.

proxy.php

So how did it go?

Well, let me start by saying the razor's fit and finish was a dream. Chris could not have done better work.

I had never shaved with one of these blades before, and let me say, if you have never put an old type blade in an old type razor, you should do it to see the difference. The blade exposure is DRAMATICALLY different. And by different, I mean more aggressive. A lot more aggressive. And lots stiffer, plenty of backbone to the edge. The blade gap is noticeably increased over a modern blade. Interestingly, Gillette called these razors adjustable, allowing a user to loosen the handle to increase gap. I can't in good conscience recommend anyone do that on your first shave with a 3-hole blade.

The blade feel during the shave was acute. More than I have ever felt on any DE - ever. At times it had the blade feel of a straight razor. I managed no cuts, nicks or weepers, but from the first stroke, I knew I needed to pay more attention - like when I set an adjustable at 8 or 9. I don't think I ever paid more attention to angle, form and hair direction than I did during this inaugural shave.

I was rewarded with a great shave for my efforts, BBS on the cheeks, lip and chin, DFS on the neck. That's as good as I ever got from any shave, as my neck skin is sensitive and I never risk a 3rd pass. Order was WTG - XTG - ATG.

I was surprised that there was a LOT of alum feedback - more than from any modern blade I've used, yet there was virtually no visible irritation, no razor burn, etc. Actually a lot like a straight razor shave.

These blades, even after honing and stropping, are NOT as efficient as modern blades. They are very angle sensitive and I took 3 passes to do what I can normally do in 2 passes with a GSB. This should be expected, there is no slick coating, they are thicker, and there is zero give to the edge, no matter how heavy or light your touch.

I've always been keen to try most things at least once, and all future use of this razor will be with modern blades. But I'm really glad I de-flowered this exceptional razor with a completely old-school setup. It was genuinely special and I enjoyed it immensely.

My tremendous thanks to Chris for the fine craftsmanship and the blade as well :)

Congratulations to you and kudos to the person providing the blades. Enjoy!! It looks marvelous, simply marvelous. :a50:

8328B9C6-16F5-4486-B369-F612C9439B4C.jpeg
Great write-up. I purchased your razor’s cousin refinished in nickel from Backroads Gold. The razor has shaved wonderfully with GSBs and Nacets for me. The original blade looks interesting but after your write-up I will stick with the modern blades. I find the very small or nonexistent blade gap in this razor to make it a very smooth and efficient shaver.

Thanks guys :) I have a NEW Improved inbound, maybe when I get it, I'll shave with an original gillette blue. I do have a decent collecton here of un-used vintage gillette blades. They are fun to try out.

Great write-up. I purchased your razor’s cousin refinished in nickel from Backroads Gold. The razor has shaved wonderfully with GSBs and Nacets for me. The original blade looks interesting but after your write-up I will stick with the modern blades. I find the very small or nonexistent blade gap in this razor to make it a very smooth and efficient shaver.

Modern blades DEFINITELY shave better, but it's fun to see how people experienced the Old Type when it was bleeding edge technology :)

Nice razor. Chris does great work.

At the moment, he's doing 3 other razors for me: a pre-war tech, a bar handle NEW LC and an old type 4-piece. Will post photos when they get back.

Modern blades DEFINITELY shave better, but it's fun to see how people experienced the Old Type when it was bleeding edge technology :)

Nice razor. Chris does great work.

At the moment, he's doing 3 other razors for me: a pre-war tech, a bar handle NEW LC and an old type 4-piece. Will post photos when they get back.
They should be great. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Interestingly, Gillette called these razors adjustable, allowing a user to loosen the handle to increase gap.
Gillette never recommended loosening the handle in this razor. They recommended it only on Single Rings where the handle is attached to the baseplate. Doing it on a three piece ball-end might lead to the head further unscrewing as you shave.

Nice looking razor! Best shaving implement ever made.

Gillette never recommended loosening the handle in this razor. They recommended it only on Single Rings where the handle is attached to the baseplate. Doing it on a three piece ball-end might lead to the head further unscrewing as you shave.

Nice looking razor! Best shaving implement ever made.

Good to know. That said, you can loosen the handle a fair bit on a 3 piece using the older stiffer blades before the head gets wobbly, loose, or easy to turn.

As an aside, I don't know if there would be a market or not, but I'd love to see a modern blade maker produce modern stainless coated blades in the original 3-hole shape and thickness.

Most modern DE razors have retained either the Old Type or New Improved head layout and would be able to use such a blade, and I do enjoy the extra rigidity of the older blades - though if I could have the efficiency of a modern coated blade to boot... well... nirvana.

I can't say for sure if they are the original blades, but when I got the razor, the old blade bank contained 5 original wrapped blades, 3 were unopened, and they all dated to June 1926.

The razor would be between 1921 and 1928 based on the model and lack of serial number, and although improbable, it could be from 1926 assuming the blade bank wasn't refilled with random blades over the last 92 years :)

It's romantic to picture this razor in use during the roaring 20's. It came out if Saint Paul, Minnesota.

At the time, The Volstead Act was in full swing and the twin cities were a known hideout for the likes of Dillinger. Back then, some working man took out this razor and shaved before going to the local speakeasy, hoping his evening drink would not leave him blind.

Yeah, I know, I'm overthinking it.

Top Bottom