What's new

Soy un perdedor (Lover Of Single Edge Razors)

Not sure about in GB as both the Star and Ever-Ready names were kept active for razors long after they were discontinued in the USA. Early on there were instances of Star and Gem razors that copied one another. I have a Gem Junior Bar and a virtually identical Star with the same barred gate design. Virtually identical except for the design of the front plate on each, one with a G and the other with a star.

Seeing as how ASR GB apparently had their own manufacturing facility, did any re-branded American made razors make it onto the British market?

Do you have a photograph of the Star Junior Bar? I do not think I have ever seen one.

Thank you, it's turned out to be a sensational shaver. I absolutely love its performance with a CVH wedge blade. Nice and smooth. For the people who say the Asylum RX rivals the straight razor shave. I would put this OBLYC in running for the best rival to a straight razor
It looks like my Safacto, which is the closest to a straight razor I have ever found. You mentioned a CVH wedge blade. Is that new? Are wedge blades still being manufactured? If so, where can one be had?

I just tried an original Gem Junior, before the bar, with a Pal blade. I was astonished at how well it shaved!

Does anyone know which was the first brand of ridge back single edge (disposable) blade? Was it Ever Ready or Gem Junior? Was it in 1905 or 1906? The same for the Gem Junior razor, was it introduced in 1905 or 1906?

Single Edge Razors never seem to get the appreciation, nor attention that Double Edge Razors do. I think part of it is due to more of us has memories of family members using DE's as well as there are plenty of current models in production.

I was one of those who started DE shaving because my father used them, but on my 18th birthday I had switched to an Astra, which I had used for a good part of my adult life. Once returning to classic shaving I acquired the two razors I knew my dad had used, a Super Speed Flare Tip and a Slim Adjustable.

Within days RAD began and I was well into 18 plus DE razors, both vintage and new within the first month. Although I would see post here and there on SE's, I never gave them much thought of purchasing one, although many user grade ones can be found in the $10-$15 range.

When ItsMeDave offered the 1912 tour I through my name on the list, mostly thinking "I can say I tried it" and get back to my beloved modern DE razors. Little did I know, that first shave would dramatically change my view on wet shaving.

For close to three weeks now, I have been using SEs every day. Sometimes for the full shave, sometimes for one pass, but everyday during one of my two daily shaves I will use only an SE.

What shocked me the most was the audio feedback that provided the 1912 provided, much more than even my 2011 R41. As far as the shave, mild, no irritation at all, but extremely close.

The night of my first SE shave I broke what was my favorite, the R41 for my evening shave. After one pass I switched back to the 1912, primarily because I knew I could attain a BBS without removing a few layers of skin cells. I felt so nice to get a shave this close without the "rawness" i had grown accustomed too.

That began my lover affair with the 1912 and SE's.

I hope that this thread will help open dialogue and on going discussions of SE's in the same way BOTOC has open up people in trying and discussing Open Combs.

So if you are a LOSER, be proud of he fact, I know that I am.

proxy.php

I have a brother-in-law and a friend who had returned to DE shaving. I gave each of them an open comb Micromatic, and they loved them. They instantly replaced their DEs with them, and my brother-in-law acquired another Micromatic to take with him on trips.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I‘m glad the acronym applies to all single edge razors. As I like a select few (RazoRock Hawk and GEM Micromatic), I’d hate to be making one

Downtown
Ontario
Urban
Constructed
High
End
But
Also
GEMs

Top Bottom