What's new

Soy un perdedor (Lover Of Single Edge Razors)

They are definitely out there if you're vigilant. I just got this unused one for a very reasonable price on ebay.
20170422_100452.jpg

They are definitely out there if you're vigilant. I just got this unused one for a very reasonable price on ebay. View attachment 784344

I just picked up a Damaskeene in close to unused condition with a VG original case and a blade safe that shows some corrosion. The razor itself appears to have no plating wear at all. It also came with a Stanford DE blade sharpener and a Eagle DeLuxe lather catcher, cased and with 4 blades, for a good price IMO.

I just picked up a Damaskeene in close to unused condition with a VG original case and a blade safe that shows some corrosion. The razor itself appears to have no plating wear at all. It also came with a Stanford DE blade sharpener and a Eagle DeLuxe lather catcher, cased and with 4 blades, for a good price IMO.
Pics or it didn't happen. :001_302:

Pics or it didn't happen. :001_302:

I HATE that post form as I consider it to be calling your fellow posters liars and I do not appreciate it. I see no humor in it at all. Try "Photos please if available" as a MUCH politer form of request. I feel your post form should be banned, but here is a photo of the haul. The Eagle uses a Gem form blade but .160" or 4 mm shorter vertically. The razor came with four blades, one still wrapped. For some reason there was also one pearl or pearloid cuff link in the Eagle case as received. Price $45 with shipping for the whole batch. These days a good Damaskeene can go for that. Mine is a steel handle version so I suspect it was WW1 era production.

Eagle-Gem-1.jpg

Single edge razors is a broad category. Unlike DE razors, there are at least 6 common blade types:

Gem style SE blades - today these are most commonly used today in box cutters and paint scrapers, but blades with a shaving quality edge are still readily available. Used by Gem, Ever-Ready, Star and Treet razors.

Injector blades - used by Schick. PAL and Personna injectors as well as the new Single Edge by Supply Provision.

Feather FH10 blades - used by the Valet Auto-Strops and more recently by the OneBlade.

Feather Artist Club style blades - extremely sharp and the blade of choice for most modern SE razors such as the Asylum Rx, ATT SE1/2, Cobra, etc. Similar to an injector blade except longer.

Wedge blades - the first single edge blade, actually hollow ground, it resembles a section of a straight razor blade and is meant to be honed and stropped. Used by a variety of razors from the late 19th century until the 1950's, such as lather catchers, Rolls, Darwin, Rapide, etc. There are several different types and they are not interchangeable.

DE blades - There are a few razors that use a double edge blade and present one edge at a time - the Shake Sharp, Golf 71. There is at least one razor (the Rocnel) that uses a doubled edge blade broken in half.

In additon, there have been many single edged razors over the years that have used proprietary blades designed specifically for that razor. Since the blades are no longer available, these are of interest primarily to collectors, although some wet shavers have figured out creative ways to use modern blades.

This variety of blade types is one reason that there is a much greater variety of single edge designs than DE.

--Bob

I have two of the early SE razors that use the proprietary blades. A Eagle DeLuxe which uses a shortened version of the Gem blade. The blade is vertically shorter by 4mm or .160". The other is a Gem Zinn which used a proprietary thin SE blade, held in by spring tension. It can be used with a Schick injector blade, carefully positioned vertically in the blade clamp jaws as it is shorter than the original blade and does not have the original blade's side locating tabs.

Does anyone know if either the Ever Ready shovelhead (1924) and/or the Gem G-bar were sold under the Star brand?

Not sure about in GB as both the Star and Ever-Ready names were kept active for razors long after they were discontinued in the USA. Early on there were instances of Star and Gem razors that copied one another. I have a Gem Junior Bar and a virtually identical Star with the same barred gate design. Virtually identical except for the design of the front plate on each, one with a G and the other with a star.

Seeing as how ASR GB apparently had their own manufacturing facility, did any re-branded American made razors make it onto the British market?

No offense intended, hence the smiling face. we just like pics!

What else would you expect from a LOSER

I have found that a simple Google Photos search or one here on B&B will usually yield photos of about 99% of the razors without photos posted by the members. What bugs me are threads from several years ago that used photos apparently from photo hosting services. With the closing of accounts there by members or the vanishing of the photo services the photos in the posts have vanished, making text that referenced them unclear in many instances.

Hi my fellow LOSER's, I'm giving this thread a bump. I've become a avid lover of the wedge blade razors as of late. Here is a OBLYC No.1 I acquired a few days ago.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The head of this razor can be adjusted on the handle to give a slant razor effect while shaving

Wow! That is cool. I haven't seen one of those.

I love the old Wedge shavers. They're pure art.

Very nice!

Thank you, it's turned out to be a sensational shaver. I absolutely love its performance with a CVH wedge blade. Nice and smooth. For the people who say the Asylum RX rivals the straight razor shave. I would put this OBLYC in running for the best rival to a straight razor

Single Edge Razors never seem to get the appreciation, nor attention that Double Edge Razors do. I think part of it is due to more of us has memories of family members using DE's as well as there are plenty of current models in production.

I was one of those who started DE shaving because my father used them, but on my 18th birthday I had switched to an Astra, which I had used for a good part of my adult life. Once returning to classic shaving I acquired the two razors I knew my dad had used, a Super Speed Flare Tip and a Slim Adjustable.

Within days RAD began and I was well into 18 plus DE razors, both vintage and new within the first month. Although I would see post here and there on SE's, I never gave them much thought of purchasing one, although many user grade ones can be found in the $10-$15 range.

When ItsMeDave offered the 1912 tour I through my name on the list, mostly thinking "I can say I tried it" and get back to my beloved modern DE razors. Little did I know, that first shave would dramatically change my view on wet shaving.

For close to three weeks now, I have been using SEs every day. Sometimes for the full shave, sometimes for one pass, but everyday during one of my two daily shaves I will use only an SE.

What shocked me the most was the audio feedback that provided the 1912 provided, much more than even my 2011 R41. As far as the shave, mild, no irritation at all, but extremely close.

The night of my first SE shave I broke what was my favorite, the R41 for my evening shave. After one pass I switched back to the 1912, primarily because I knew I could attain a BBS without removing a few layers of skin cells. I felt so nice to get a shave this close without the "rawness" i had grown accustomed too.

That began my lover affair with the 1912 and SE's.

I hope that this thread will help open dialogue and on going discussions of SE's in the same way BOTOC has open up people in trying and discussing Open Combs.

So if you are a LOSER, be proud of he fact, I know that I am.

proxy.php
I normally use a straight razor. If I am having trouble sharpening one, or if I am in a hurry, I ALWAYS use a SE. I have many of them, including many lather catcher models, and, without exception, a SE gives a better shave than a double edge. I have written to ASR asking them to resume production, but they will not. If people will, perhaps, write as well, maybe they will change their mind. Not that long ago the Contour II was still being manufactured. Someone, who used a cartridge multi blade razor, ran out of blades, and I happened to have just gotten a Contour II, so he borrowed it. When he returned it he said he was shocked at how much better it was than his multi blade. Any time I have given or lent a SE to someone, they have become convinced.

"I have written to ASR asking them to resume production, but they will not."

I'd love to see your message and their reply if you still have it.

I do not. It was on a hard drive of a computer which died, and I did not keep a physical copy. Basically, I stated that with double edged razors making a comeback, and their single edged razors being vastly superior; plus the fact that they manufacture several single edged blades, they should attempt to reintroduce a new SE. I suggested something along the lines of a Micromatic, but said that, really, any model they manufactured would work.

Top Bottom