What's new

Southern Witchcrafts Pomona

Pomona. Other than a city in Los Angeles County, a perfect label for this soap and AS - Roman goddess of fruit trees, gardens and orchards. I keep repeating the performance of SW's soaps is outstanding, but partly because it's also unexpected. My experience with most vegan soaps has been less than stellar, and most I've used require more work than tallow-based soaps to lather, provide less cushion and protection, and are very particular about water. None of which is true of SW's soaps, so I keep waiting for them to prove my historical experience, but have been so far universally surprised and impressed. A great soap and a great AS from the technical side of shaving.

Scent notes. Two words. Apple. Honey. SW describes it: "apple, honey, red wine, spice, honeysuckle." Probably. My impressions on opening and lathering include those notes, but predominately the apple and honey. And waaay in the back, maybe a light, mulled red wine. And through it all an undefined floral - maybe from the apple (apple blossoms?), maybe from the honey (clover, heather?), maybe from the wine (grape blossoms?). And maybe honeysuckle as well. Whatever from, it's a wonderful fragrance, suitable for either a Spring romp or a turn-of-the-season walk in the Fall. An all-season fragrance, to me, that I could use daily. Another 6 out of 6 tried winner from Southern Witchcrafts for me, and I will definitely keep going.

Increasingly impressed with SW's blend of fragrances, and I haven't discovered any yet that are off-putting, or that I would only use once or would consider (very) polarizing. All have been very mild or mid-range intensity, all have familiar and identifiable bases and all match their described profiles. They don't have any (that I've found) sharp citrus fragrances (a la B&M's Nordost or T+S's Sicily), or edge-of-the-envelope fragrances (B&M's Roam, CFG's Cryogen), or straight florals (A&E's Asian Plum, GFT's Rose), but what they do have, from those I've tried, are consistently complex, varied, easy-wearing fragrances unlike any others in my stable. Performance of soap and AS has been consistently excellent as well. I'm officially a fan.

20200502_181323.jpg

I saw this mentioned in another thread and went to their site to check it out. I don't need another soap, but friggin' A this one seems to call my name. Then I see your splendid (if not unintentionally enabling) review. Like you, I tend to lean toward tallow soaps but I've read so many good things about SW. Great review, but now I'm teetering on the edge, so I simultaneously respect you and loathe you. And it doesn't help that you appealed to my mythological sensibilities, either.

What's the splash like? I'm more of a balm guy, but I do use Thayer's Witch Hazel before applying balm. What are your thoughts on the Pomona AS splash?

I saw this mentioned in another thread and went to their site to check it out. I don't need another soap, but friggin' A this one seems to call my name. Then I see your splendid (if not unintentionally enabling) review. Like you, I tend to lean toward tallow soaps but I've read so many good things about SW. Great review, but now I'm teetering on the edge, so I simultaneously respect you and loathe you. And it doesn't help that you appealed to my mythological sensibilities, either.

What's the splash like? I'm more of a balm guy, but I do use Thayer's Witch Hazel before applying balm. What are your thoughts on the Pomona AS splash?

Understood all. :biggrin1: I'm WAY past 3070 on soaps and splashes (and everything else)! My grandchildren will be stocked for life. SW's splashes are sort of unique - fairly thin, close to Thayers aloe witch hazel in consistency, with a similar post-shave feel. Sort of a balm/splash hybrid. I wasn't fond of a splash that left a film after drydown, but I actually like SW's for their protection, and they seem to calm down irritation very well. Ruds Shave on YouTube has some good videos on SW products. All of their splashes I've tried so far match their soaps in fragrance perfectly, unlike some manufacturers I've used which are more of a counterpoint. None have been what I would consider "strong" fragrances - sort of mid-range that last a few hours. Pomona is a kind of mild (to me, and Rud agrees), fruit-orchard (apple) kind of scent (some have said potpourri, but potpourri had to start somewhere, so a floral, fruity fragrance may be accurate). It's actually, for me, a good everyday scent, not overly floral, not overly fruity but a good blend. More coming, so will continue the quest, but so far SW is on the permanent list.

Fate has smiled upon my bank account as SW Pomona and its AS splash are currently out of stock. Now all my other soaps won't have new-guy envy. But you have planted the seed, so time will tell if gemination takes hold.

Really like the review, though. Very well done!

Thanks! Happy to share my experiences, which are of course just mine. :001_smile Word must have gotten around on SW - I noticed several OOS. I'm not normally universally pleased with a product line (T+S and A&E are pretty close), but SW fits the bill so far. I'm guessing Courtney and Steve will be ramping up production, so stand by, and I heard they have some others in the pipeline.

Thanks to you I emailed them about the timeline for return of Pomona . . . Steve wrote me back within two minutes--no joke. Said they are planning on making more this weekend, next weekend at the latest. So, you'll get to punch your Enabler Card :001_tongu

Thanks to you I emailed them about the timeline for return of Pomona . . . Steve wrote me back within two minutes--no joke. Said they are planning on making more this weekend, next weekend at the latest. So, you'll get to punch your Enabler Card :001_tongu

Punched, and profuse apologies. :001_rolle

Our Brother in Enablement, Scaramouche, convinced me via his eloquent review to order this soap site unseen. I was drawn by the promise of apple and honey as the standout scents and the use of a mythological goddess as the soap's namesake.

I know this tub is from a new batch--not a new base, just a new batch. Right after reading his review I went to SW's site to further bolster my good friend Rationalization only to discover Pomona was out of stock. So I emailed them to see when I might expect a new batch, to which they quickly replied and told me the following weekend. Sure enough, the following Monday morning I was able to order a tub for me and one for my son.

I state all that because I'm not certain if the scent profile was tweaked or not. Don't misunderstand, it's still wonderful, just that I didn't' get apple and honey right off the top, instead getting snoot full of spice--nice spice, but unmistakable in the front. The whole scent experience--for me--came off as spiced apple cider. The apple is there, immediately behind the spice; not sure I can detect honey but I can just barely detect the red wine. But as Scaramouche said, the whole is still fantastic.

I, too, tend to favor tallow over vegan in general, but this indeed performed for me much like a tallow soap. The lather generated was both wonderful and beautiful, creamy and not overly thirsty, but it didn't take much work at all for me to dial it in.

The shave? Dare I say 'brilliant'? Very comfortable, and a nice carry over of scent when all was said and done.

062C134A-F68B-41E9-B53B-A8AB8D01E0CA_1_105_c.jpeg

Glad it worked out! I do pick up the spice, just not out front for me (although Steve may have upped the apple-pie factor in your batch), but different noses make the world go 'round! :001_smile

Top Bottom