What's new

Southeast US meetup-let's do it!

First run with the straight and the Opus X today. I sure do miss that soft water in Savannah! The Opus X wanted to explode with lather but just couldn't quite get there. I think I'll try heating up some distilled water next time.

I took it slow and easy with the straight. Stropped beforehand. No nicks, cuts or weepers but not a smooth shave. Seemed to pull a lot. Just like starting with the DE, I'm going to chalk that up to a lack of technique and experience and keep working at it.

Charleston is the first place I ever lived that didn't have hard water. I have a new appreciation for it now. :biggrin1:

Been using the straight as well but I seriously need some remedial training, I've nicked my self several times but today was the best day so far, only 3 nicks. LOL!!

Hmmm. Shouldn't pull at all. I may need to touch it up.

I've noticed the same thing, it feels like its pulling or scraping. I'd compare it to how using the Shark SS felt. I chalked it up to technique. It is sharp though, as evidence of the small slashes on my check. Apparently at some point I went across instead of down. Ops.

On a different note, I sent the Captain (and the others) a thank you and mentioned that I hadn't tried the Co9T yet and he replied that some one commented that "The Cat is the "Evil Twin" of our bay rum! Oh and get ready to feel the b-u-r-n." Well.... I tried it this morning and it had a nice scent, no real burn to speak of and as I was reading the ingredient list thats when the burn kicked in!!!!! Woo...... I must be a sick puppy because I kind of enjoyed it. :w00t:

Head riggers blade surprises me. However I never did re-test. And didn't test the other. So...maybe I had an off day? It happens. Maybe my magic hone juice lost its power.

Either way you guys send me those so I can test them. And/ or fix them. This way we can eliminate that from the equation.

Then we can go from there.

How's it working out? I'd just use the green. 10 strokes. Then 15 with paper under. Strop on leather only about 25-30. See what happens.

Dang I wish I tried that first. I preached over and over a shave test is the only way. Well there's my proof. I mean it may be you. I don't know. And without knowing the razor is spot on its hard to help. And with going to film if it is right il you have a bigger chance of creating a harsh blade and there comes the weepers.

I have more film for you. I will send it back with the razor should you send it in.

Who wants to do it again next year? Who wants to help me make it happen?

I'm in for next year! I'll help however I can, just let me know.

How's it working out? I'd just use the green. 10 strokes. Then 15 with paper under. Strop on leather only about 25-30. See what happens.

Dang I wish I tried that first. I preached over and over a shave test is the only way. Well there's my proof. I mean it may be you. I don't know. And without knowing the razor is spot on its hard to help. And with going to film if it is right il you have a bigger chance of creating a harsh blade and there comes the weepers.

I have more film for you. I will send it back with the razor should you send it in.

I'm still saying it's my technique not your hone. I wanted touch it up myself but you brought up a good point about eliminating one step from the equation by having you check it so I'll send it up.

Who was it that I was having the conversation about the Semogue brush, and the pronunciation of the company's name? Anyway, here's a quote from a thread in 2009 about one of their models. It was written by a Portuguese guy; see the last sentence:

Well, i own several Semogues (the factory is 3 streets down...) and all work smoothly and are terrific :w00t: doing some nice lather.

Of course, they have a small problem: they are not widely spread as they deserve outside Portugal...lack of advertising and image...:frown: and it's a pity, such nice jewels so underrated.

Pronounced exactly like Smog :001_rolle

Who was it that I was having the conversation about the Semogue brush, and the pronunciation of the company's name?...
Pronounced exactly like Smog :001_rolle

I think that was me. I brought my SOC boar with cherry handle.

My Portuguese is a little rusty :lol: so I apparently "Americanized" my pronunciation.

No matter how you say it in any language, it is an AWESOME brush! I'll be trying some of their other knots soon.

Being the non-straight razor shaver among you, I had such a good time that I'd certainly entertain a return trip next year…I might need more soaps by then, who knows.

For Chuck, I have a Semogue 730HD on order; it should arrive this week.

Can't go wrong with semogue. I love the ones I have. Everyone should Have a 1305.

We can always have more pen play at the meet ups.

Being the non-straight razor shaver among you, I had such a good time that I'd certainly entertain a return trip next year…I might need more soaps by then, who knows.

For Chuck, I have a Semogue 730HD on order; it should arrive this week.

Excellent! :thumbup: I haven't tried a badger "Smog" yet but I can't imagine them not living up to the quality of the boars. As a matter of fact I just bought another SOC boar off the B/S/T this weekend!

Can't go wrong with semogue. I love the ones I have. Everyone should Have a 1305.

We can always have more pen play at the meet ups.

I had a 1305 that I bought on the B/S/T and really liked it. I PIF'd it to the LOTH's son-in-law along with a Super Speed, a Ball-end Tech, a blade sampler and Proraso soap. Last I heard he was sticking with it.

Maybe we can incorporate some DE stuff at the next meet up for the non-staighters. A blade exchange, a "show and tell" of razors, a demo for newbs?

Excellent! :thumbup: I haven't tried a badger "Smog" yet but I can't imagine them not living up to the quality of the boars. As a matter of fact I just bought another SOC boar off the B/S/T this weekend!

I had a 1305 that I bought on the B/S/T and really liked it. I PIF'd it to the LOTH's son-in-law along with a Super Speed, a Ball-end Tech, a blade sampler and Proraso soap. Last I heard he was sticking with it.

Maybe we can incorporate some DE stuff at the next meet up for the non-staighters. A blade exchange, a "show and tell" of razors, a demo for newbs?

I've only used one badger brush and it was a GBS silver tip and I didn't like it at all. Too soft when it came to making lather (figured that out after I got a B&B Essential) and I was loosing about 6 bristles with each use. Definitely include DE stuff at the next meet up (I may be using straights mostly by then). Maybe have folks bring in their brushes and soaps so folks can see them first hand before buying and maybe have some demos on how to make lather with soap and creams. Oh, and yeah, more straight razor stuff. :biggrin1: Hind site being 20/20, I should have taken Rick's offer to shave myself with a straight while he was there to mentor me. Won't pass that up next time. I'm not sure if or how it might work but maybe some kind of group buy that would arrive in time to be handed out at the meet up. Some one mentioned doing a group buy of some brush from Turkey if I recall. Any way, just a thought.

Good thought.

I meant to mention this at the meet... If you got an item and don't like it from the meet up, please don't sell it. Give it away. Thanks

Top Bottom