What's new

Sour Beers

Anyone here a fan of sours? I'm really curious to try some, so am looking for suggestions. Seems like Summer would be a great time to give them a shot. Thanks for your input!

I don't have a lot of experience with sours. I have tried a handful of Flemish sours including Duchesse de Bourgogne, which I found to be very tasty. Curious to hear what others' favorites are.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I love 'em. I'm not sure where you are, but Petrus are fairly easy to find. Their aged pale is especially good. Monk's Cafe is out there, but it's become something of a sweet, fruit bomb. A nice gueze always hits the spot, as well.

If you have Cantillon available in your area, you might want to check it out. It's my favorite Lambic brewer, but it may or may not be the best place to start (if you are starting). Cantillon's beers can get pretty funky. I love them to death, but I know they aren't for everyone.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
One of those styles I just didn't like, but several friends like them, soI they are worth a try to see if you like them

They are some of my favorites. For American sours you can't beat Russian River in Santa Rosa, CA. They get a lot of recognition for their Pliny the Elder (and the Younger), but their Belgian style beers, especially their sours, are phenomenal. If you can get them, Temptation (sour aged in chardonnay barrels), Supplication (sour aged with cherries) and Consecration (sour aged in Pinot Noir barrels with currants) are some of the best beers I have ever tasted. New Glarus in Wisconsin also have some great sours, but they are even harder to get your hands on.

Karl

Jolly Pumpkin is a brewery out of Michigan that makes all sour beers. You should be able to find them pretty easily.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Jolly Pumpkin is some pretty good stuff, but they also tend to hit or miss with me. I've never been able to get behind the Bam series.

If you want to talk about excellent but difficult U.S. sours, you must talk about The Bruery.

Another good Belgian one is Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge (a Flanders Red).

More and more US breweries are making sours, but they don't all have it figured out, yet. Be careful out there. :tongue_sm

im a huge gose fan, love them with dinners in particular as they seem to be very efficient palate cleansers, but im not sure if a gose generally falls into the sour category per se

They are some of my favorites. For American sours you can't beat Russian River in Santa Rosa, CA. They get a lot of recognition for their Pliny the Elder (and the Younger), but their Belgian style beers, especially their sours, are phenomenal. If you can get them, Temptation (sour aged in chardonnay barrels), Supplication (sour aged with cherries) and Consecration (sour aged in Pinot Noir barrels with currants) are some of the best beers I have ever tasted. New Glarus in Wisconsin also have some great sours, but they are even harder to get your hands on.

Karl

The only one I tasted and agree it is excellent.

I love sours.. I find them hard to come by in Canada, but New Belgium has a couple in their Lips of Faith line that I've had and they are great. I also had a smoked scotch ale from Parallel 49's brews brothers pack that was really good, but completely unexpected.

Much better than the nonsense that is IPA's. I wish that beer fad would go away. I can barely find a craft beer that isn't trying to do something weird with hops that just tastes awful.

Love sours. I'll second a couple of the recommendations already mentioned... Petrus makes several beers that span the sour spectrum. And New Belgium's La Folie is pretty great (as is their Le Terroir... dry hopped sour, if you want something hoppy and sour). New Belgium also released bottles of Eric's Ale again this year... a light sour with a bit of peach. Dogfish Head makes Festina Peche, a Berlinner weisse brewed with peaches. Here in Georgia, there are several breweries making solid sours... Creature Comforts makes a classic Berlinner weisse called Athena. And Orpheus (one of my favorite local and overall brewers) makes several... Atalanta, Sykophantes, Serpent Bite. All great. Lastly, if you want sour AND salty (a bit of an acquired taste... I'm still working on acquiring it, honestly), look into the gose style. Some are brewed with citrus, as well, and that fruitiness can help tame the salt a bit IMO.

Goose Island Lolita is a really nice sour. But, depending upon your location - you can't go wrong with Schell's Brewery Noble Star Series. Especially, Black Forest Sour Cherry Weisse. This is an ongoing series of Berliner Weiss Beers. Virtually impossible to find outside of Minnesota - but worth the airfare!

I almost got a bottle of Eric's Ale over the weekend, but was not expecting the price for a bomber to be $20. I ended up making another purchase. I'll keep checking here for some options though. Keep 'em coming, guys.

Lambiek (or lambic) beers ... an old traditional, only brewed in the Zennevallei in Belgium.

Brewed in the old way, and very tasty on hot summer days.

Last edited:
Grand Cru is pretty good. Sour Beers seem to be really local based. Some are very good some....not so good. But the fun is in the trying. Sour beers are one of those beers that seem to be tough to do consistently so every year they're a bit different, at least they seem to be. They also tend to be a bit more spendy, but some can be very high in alcohol content so that makes up for the price a bit.

This should be available everywhere, I guess:

proxy.php

Had my first Gose last evening. Anderson Valley Brewing Company from Northern California. When the bartender threw down the coaster from the brewery, I asked if he had any offerings. It is called The Kimmie, The Yink, and The Holy Gose. The brewery isn't too far north of Petaluma, the location of the Lagunitas Brewery we visited a few weeks ago, so I thought I'd give it a go. It was tart and light and crisp. I thought I would much prefer this style of beer to any shandy. Very light malt late.

Last edited:
Top Bottom