What's new

SOTD: January 12-January 17 (cut short for Themed week next week)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday

Gillette Tech / Dorco ST-301
VDH Boar Brush
Honeybee Spa Eucalyptus Spearmint Soap
Aqua Velva

Was in a bit of a hurry this evening before work. No hot towel and 3 passes: WTG, ATG, XTG. Pre-shave consisted of using hair conditioner massaged in the shower. Face lathered as per the usual.

Lean Times #5

Gem w/ Pella blade
C&E BBB
Ogallala BR Limes n Peppercorn SS
Ogallala BR Limes n Peppercorns AS splash
Wesley n Scott Clove & peppermint ASB

Saturday
  • Prep: Hot shower, hot towel, lather, hot towel
  • Cream: Mama Bears testing cream
  • Razor: model 102A on a NEW handle
  • Blade: Astra shave #1
  • Brush: restored ever-ready
  • Post: hot water rinse, cold water rinse, Aqua Velva Ice Blue

'55 Red tip
Gillette Platinum (1)
Vulfix 660 Super Medium
Proraso Pre/Post
Proraso SC
L'Occitane Cade ASB

This was my first shave with Red tip. All I can say is that I like it. I had zero irritation on my neck, which I used to have while I was shaving with my Merkur HD.

Saturday

Heavy Weight Trac11
CVS Lube Strip Blade
Omega Chrome Handle Boar
Pirates Cove Lime Soap
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
Tabac After Shave

Friday night:

Hot shower ... soaked/rubbed beard with sponge for about a minute.
Lathered body with Tabac Luxury Soap, left the lather on instead of rinsing.
Patted myself dry with a towel.

T&H Ultimate Comfort Pre-Shave Oil. Let it soak in for about 3 minutes while I prepared the lather.

Superlathered in a mug with Tabac Shaving Soap and T&H UC Cream, whipped up with a BnB Essentials brush soaked in filtered water from the shower.

39C with Feather. 1.5 passes and I'm at BBS!

Warm water rinse, Cold water splash. Tabac ASL, let it dry, followed by T&H UC ASB.

'53 Gillette President | Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge | Rooney 1/2 Super | TOBS St. James SC | TOBS St. James AS | 444 ASB

Fitjar Sapekokeri Woods Barbersape
Edwin Jagger Medium Handmade Silvertip
5/8 SSA Eskilituna French Point
Handamerican Strop
Shavex Alum Block
Nilotica Shea Butter

The Fitjar soaps are proving very hit and miss for me. The Woods version has an interesting and unique scent, it contains Cedarwood, Clary Sage and Vetiver but doesn't smell like you would expect it to based on those notes. It defies categorisation, but I like it a lot, just not as much as I like their East Indies scent (Frankincense, Jasmine, Rose and Sandalwood EO's.)
I've traced the irritation I was getting from these soaps back to the clay that's included, nothing unbearable but there all the same.
In use however, I'm not 100% satisfied. The lather seems very rich but once on the face it's not as protective as you'd think and it isn't the most stable. Still very slick stuff, I'm assuming because of the clay, but I'm not getting the lather to the point where I'm satisfied. Todays flavour of choice Woods, has been more successful than the East Indies and Vanilla Absolu versions I've used previously for whatever reason, but it's still lacking that indefinable X factor that takes certain soaps from good to excellent.
Just out of interest, has anyone else tried these? I'd be curious to know what you think of them if you have.

Gillette '58 Adjustable with Gillette Swede
QED Select 24mm Silver Tip :w00t:
Floris JF Shaving Soap
QED Rose Water
Floris JF After Shave Balm
Floris JF Cologne

Gillette M-3 Power (1)
Barbershop Luxury Pure Badger
Williams Mug SS
Rite Aid Glycerine (10 drops)
Dickinson's Witch Hazel Toner
C.O. Bigelow Elixer Blue Aftershave Balm

M-3 Power razor isn't bad, got a smooth two pass shave. Kicked the Williams soap up a notch by adding glycerine. Talk about slick and I got a comfortable shave. Usually my manual Mach-3 razor gives me a case of minor razor burn, None this time.

Clayton

Shower / GFT Rose SS / B&B LE '08 / HD Slant / Dorco (1) / WWR / Alum / CWR / Roseway Barbershop AS / QEDman ASSC

Saturday:

Merkur H.D. / Derby Extra (day 1)
Fendrihan Silvertip (wondering where my B&B E is, since it hasn't arrived)
Proraso Pre
T&H Trafalgar SC (T&H Sample)
T&H Trafalgar ASB (T&H Sample)
T&H Trafalgar edC (T&H Sample)

Good morning gentlemen.

Today is day 2 of learing to shave with a straight razor.

I did my cheeks with a 5/8 King spike point and the rest of my face with my fatboy - no cuts today :)

Fatboy / gillete 7 o'clock yellow (Day 4) JM Fraser's Cream / No-name Silvertip / Thayer's / AV Blue / AV Ice Balm.

proxy.php

Soap: Col. Conk's Bay Rum
Brush: Vulfix 2234
Razor: Gillette Mach 3
Aftershave: Bigelow Bay Rum Balm, Col. Conk Bay Rum Splash
Cologne: Bigelow Elixir Red

Music: Nox Arcana - Grimm Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom